Connecticut town collecting and destroying violent video games.

#51Kentaro21Posted 1/3/2013 10:16:26 AM
Solar_Crimson posted...
Scapegoating that will solve nothing.

I agree. If anyone should be prosecuted, it's that gunman.
#52DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/3/2013 10:34:35 AM
I agree. If anyone should be prosecuted, it's that gunman.

Too bad that won't be happening.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#53Mega_RatPosted 1/3/2013 10:37:27 AM
Zero_Maniac posted...
Cenedarprime posted...
As a Connecticut native, I'd like to throw in my two cents. While I do not believe video games are to blame for the Newtown tragedy, and trust me, I DON'T, I also don't believe this is your typical knee jerk reaction from fuddy-duddy politicians or gun-loving personalities looking for a scapegoat to protect their precious firearms.

The collection in the CT town is completely voluntary, it's not like they are massing a witch-hunt on all video games with violence. And just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's consider the families of the Newtown victims. They had their loved ones taken from them, many of them lost young children that day. I don't know about any of you, nor will I speak for you, but if I were in that kind of situation I would be looking for something to blame, someone or something I could put guilt on, if only to allow myself to finish greiving a lost loved one. At some point I'm willing to bet we have all lashed out or said something stupid when we were upset or angry.

Ultimately, will this collection acheive anything? No. People will still buy violent video games and they shoud have the right to do so. But if, in the wake of this collection, people start looking at the REAL issues behind this tragedy, such as proper medical care for mental conditions and gun safety awareness, then I can't feel right in getting mad over another freak-out over violence in games. It will pass, and ultimately forgotten about. All I ask is that you don't paint all us CT natives with the same gun-crazy, stick-up-our-arse brush.

tl;dr version: Yeah the collection is silly and ultimately pointless, but people need to greive. If the product of that greiving is a few less copies of ::insert violent game here:: in the world, then I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over it, even fans of ::insert violent game here::.

Then let them grieve. Just keep them away from my video games, they never hurt anyone.

They hurt me ...

Danced to hard playing DDR.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#54KHWyvernPosted 1/3/2013 10:44:28 AM
darkus_f posted...
All this scapegoating shows how Connecticut just loves guns.

Of course guns aren't the problem either.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#55GubbeyPosted 1/3/2013 11:18:14 AM
People here are against the knee-jerk scapegoating of videogames, but then I see several people here recommending they do the same with guns instead. Videogames, books, movies, guns or what-have-you are not the problem. Those are all inanimate objects. Reading a book where a serial killer hunts down teenagers won't make you a serial killer. Watch a cooking TV show won't make you a professional chef. And the sight of a firearm isn't going to stir up any urges to go on a rampage.

Politicians and the media always turn the blame on inanimate objects because they don't want to blame the actual problem: People. They won't blame people because, in the case of the politician, that's what votes for them, and for the news program, that's what gives them their hits.

Instead of blaming lifeless pieces of plastic or metal for our problems, why don't we take steps to solve the actual problem? Of course, most problems would be solved if kids had better parents, and obviously that's not going to happen.

But perhaps a good start would be to accept the truth.

tl;dr: Read the post, it's not even that long.
---
"I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes..." - Niccolo Machiavelli
#56adroge01Posted 1/3/2013 11:21:48 AM
I feel sorry for the loss. It was a terrible thing that happened. At the same time, doing something so worthless is just stupid. If their so concerned, it would be better if they tried to address the real problems instead of wasting their time on things that are really unrelated.
#57CBZ652Posted 1/3/2013 11:22:27 AM
kakashik99992 posted...
LOL ok Wayne you sold the weapon to a crazy dude and the blame is on the video games

No. When he wanted to purchase a gun, he was refused at the point of the background check. Additionally, it certainly wasn't the NRA or Wayne LaPierre who was doing the selling.

If anything, this shows why gun control (or any control, to include gaming) doesn't work.

He was refused a gun purchase... so he stole guns to commit evil.
He was refused entry to the school... so he broke in through a window.
Additionally, he chose a "gun free" zone because he knew he would have lots of time before a reprisal (see also the Batman shooter, as well as countless others). He didn't point the (stolen) gun at his own head until outside responders did arrive with guns.

Guns didn't do this and games didn't do this. A person did this. Period. Vastly more people are killed in car crashes, so let's ban those! Obviously, this is a bad idea (although, generally speaking, the same pols who want to ban guns would love to ban cars for individuals. They frequently do prefer public transportation).

Would you rather send your children to stay at a friend's house where a gun is present or a swimming pool? Which one is more likely to endanger your child? Look it up. The answer will likely shock you. Should we ban swimming pools? Obviously not.

People do all kinds of stupid things with various tools. Nothing more. It bothers me that so many err on the side of totalitarianism, rather than freedom. This is a perfect case study of people comfortable with banning something they dislike (guns), but don't like the spotlight on something they do like (games). Err on the side of freedom and don't ban either (or music, movies, or any other asinine thing).

But this is GameFAQs, logic need not apply...
---
A candle loses nothing by lighting another
#58n00bsaib0tPosted 1/3/2013 11:30:51 AM
Gubbey posted...
Reading a book where a serial killer hunts down teenagers won't make you a serial killer. Watch a cooking TV show won't make you a professional chef.

There are people who try and cook everything they see made on TV though.

The only difference between being a professional chef because you saw a TV show and being a murderer because you saw/read something violent is that its much easier to successfully become a murderer.

I completely disagree with the notion that violent media is the problem, see my ridiculous Duke Nukem comment earlier, but people are impressionable, some more than others. Remember in the late 90s when wrestling was HUGE? How many kids got hurt doing wrestling moves? Tons. This is why WWE started putting the "don't try this at home" video at the start of each show back then. Violent media isn't the issue though, if someone plays GTA and wants to act it out they have serious issues with separating reality from fiction and right from wrong, and people like that need help. To the average person there won't be that kind of effect, but they might see that cooking show you mentioned and try making something well beyond their skill level as a cook.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#59DarthSchubertPosted 1/3/2013 11:53:37 AM
Gaiz this is a srs problem. I played mario brothers when I was 9. It took the surgeons over 4 hours to remove the turtle from my.... my....

Don't get me started on when I played katamari damacy.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#60iMURDAuPosted 1/3/2013 11:56:40 AM
My mom saw me playing Double Dragon when I was very young. She told me that while it was a requirement of the game that I am to never ever hit a female. I thought "no duh" but apparently some people have never developed common sense.

Regardless what happened in Connecticut was mostly due to lack of medication and easily accessible firearms. Its not that hard to lock up your gun(s) especially when you live with someone that has known mental health issues.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
3DS FC: 1977-1514-4983, PM if you add me