Connecticut town collecting and destroying violent video games.

#81JimmyMimpsonPosted 1/3/2013 2:49:14 PM
Fishbulb posted...
Even now they look as ridiculous as all those people who steamrolled records in the 70s.

fix'd
---
"Thank God Bramble Blast is such an epic track or else I would be beating my kielbasa against a waffle iron by this point."-ResidentEvilKoala
#82AkaneJonesPosted 1/3/2013 3:16:29 PM
You know the worst part about this stupidity is the so called "Kid" was an Adult. Because he was one year below drinking age, they've decided to scape goat violent video games. This is equally idiotic because he was a legal adult for two years, and says nothing of weather "children" with violent video games had any more effect on this. Actually "children" with violent video games had no effect, because the only children in the tragedy were the victims.

They might as well be destroying DVDs of Dexter & Criminal Minds. Ultimately it's the same thing, I mean there was an actually kid who committed a killing who even blamed Criminal Minds on idea. However we all know the media wants to differ any idea that the media could be to blame. So they scape goat, a thing that is taking away their audience.

The gun people just jump on the wagon, because it differs it away from guns. It's not like the the anti-gun people even know what they are talking about, anyway. They still think automatic guns are legal. Apparently they don't know what semi-automatic gun are.

The problem is what they are doing is akin to burning books. It's exactly what that was about. People in control burnt book that had idea that they didn't agree with in them, because they saw them as corrupting the children with ideas. But so many of those people supporting this would see book burnings as an obscene thing, basically they are hypocrites.
#83pokemonmaster0Posted 1/3/2013 3:17:27 PM
hyjinx17 posted...
"We're not saying the use of video games causes people to become murderers, but there's evidence that it causes increases in aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and desensitization about actions of violence," said director of community services Susan Saucier

I'm not seeing any cited sources there buddy.

I think it is a proven fact that they increase aggressiveness, at least temporally, but that can be said about anything that depicts aggressive behavior, and I don't know if anything has been proven on a long term scale. The other 3 parts I don't know never looked into it, I kinda doubt fear and anxiety to be true, I personally have gotten over some of my dumber fears thanks to games (Horror related things scared me for years, but after a few M games I started to get over it). I can see desensitization to violence, but that would be kind of hard to prove.
#84wh0_kn0wsPosted 1/3/2013 4:04:09 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
when stuff like this happens it makes you all look like neanderthal idiots to the rest of us.

yep, dem generalizations sure make you look like the master race over there.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#85AlbinoGerbilPosted 1/3/2013 4:27:25 PM(edited)
Devil_wings00 posted...
Honestly I haven't literally face palmed for something in a LONG time, my face kind of stings now. I know all Americans aren't representative of MORONS like this but to anyone who lives outside the states, in another 1st world country, you are very hard to understand when you essentially revert back to witch hunts and book burnings upon every minor tragedy.

This reminds me of the 80's when you idiots damn near outlawed D&D because some murderer happened to play it. You guys make me sick sometimes. Media of any sort didn't make this crazy SOB blow children away. In 2012 games are as big as movies...ALMOST EVERYONE UNDER 40 PLAYS VIDEO GAMES! This isn't some niche little thing anymore. It boggles my mind how a bunch of people can somehow be whipped up into such a frenzy so easily against something that is so common place. I mean probably anyone who's had a kid in the last 30 years has been exposed to video games and you don't see a bloody horde of murdering psychopaths roaming the streets. Ugh Americans piss me off sometimes. How a country so bloody moronic became a world super power is beyond me. I'm sorry if you are among the majority of people who live in the states that are completely reasonable but when stuff like this happens it makes you all look like neanderthal idiots to the rest of us.

I take no offense to comments such as these as I know that while a bit stereotypical, uninformed and prejudicial it's fairly accurate in some respects but lacking in any substantive reasoning. However, lumping every citizen in the same category as this is the height of ignorance and smacks of the same 'bloody moronic' status you attribute to us.
Believe me, as an American and a vet it sickens me how people look for a scapegoat and/or place the blame on a particular piece of equipment vs looking to the heart of the issue and dealing with the actual problem.
I remember the D&D hate groups and the Rock & Roll hate groups. As a teen I laughed it off, realizing all the while these idiots were doing more to boost sales than any bit of advertisement. In a sense these people are doing more of the same while inciting much ridicule.
I blame main stream media and their extremely prejudicial 'news' reports for the uninformed opinions of the world.
---
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
3DS FC: 3781-0310-6225
#86andrea987Posted 1/3/2013 5:01:03 PM
Zero_Maniac posted...
Cenedarprime posted...
As a Connecticut native, I'd like to throw in my two cents. While I do not believe video games are to blame for the Newtown tragedy, and trust me, I DON'T, I also don't believe this is your typical knee jerk reaction from fuddy-duddy politicians or gun-loving personalities looking for a scapegoat to protect their precious firearms.

The collection in the CT town is completely voluntary, it's not like they are massing a witch-hunt on all video games with violence. And just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's consider the families of the Newtown victims. They had their loved ones taken from them, many of them lost young children that day. I don't know about any of you, nor will I speak for you, but if I were in that kind of situation I would be looking for something to blame, someone or something I could put guilt on, if only to allow myself to finish greiving a lost loved one. At some point I'm willing to bet we have all lashed out or said something stupid when we were upset or angry.

Ultimately, will this collection acheive anything? No. People will still buy violent video games and they shoud have the right to do so. But if, in the wake of this collection, people start looking at the REAL issues behind this tragedy, such as proper medical care for mental conditions and gun safety awareness, then I can't feel right in getting mad over another freak-out over violence in games. It will pass, and ultimately forgotten about. All I ask is that you don't paint all us CT natives with the same gun-crazy, stick-up-our-arse brush.

tl;dr version: Yeah the collection is silly and ultimately pointless, but people need to greive. If the product of that greiving is a few less copies of ::insert violent game here:: in the world, then I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over it, even fans of ::insert violent game here::.

Then let them grieve. Just keep them away from my video games, they never hurt anyone.

Nor do guns, it's the people that uses them. That's why I've found rather disturbing learning what one of the favourite xmas present in US was...
#87IHeartMetroidPosted 1/3/2013 5:13:52 PM
"Even if you somehow remove all guns from the world, he'll just find another way to hurt and kill people."

Mm hmm.

9/11 didn't involve the use of guns.

The deaths of hundreds of people in Oklahoma City wasn't done using guns.

The worst school massacre of all time did not involve a gun.

We live in a society where the main culprit of these twisted, vile attacks -untreated mental issues- has been pushed aside for the sake of economy. Involuntary treatment for the sake of society was stigmatized and institutions closed down due to a combination of lack of funding and misguided efforts at sympathy. So now we have untreated mentally unstable people homeless and wandering on the streets instead of receiving treatment, care and shelter.

And the cycle repeats- some vile and twisted attack occurs, a scapegoat is found and the root causes are ignored, and time marches on.
#88Psychofang12001Posted 1/3/2013 5:20:06 PM
I extremely doubt this will end m rated games I mean the video game industry is huge I bet if they wanted to they could bribe their silence if they have to. Besides the kids are dead which is a tragic but the killer is dead so they want someone to blame. I can guarantee u the USA is not gonna give up guns it just won't happen so practically video games are all they have to target. Is not going to change anything in fact is gonna become old news and were gonna forget about it. This isn't the first nor the last.
#89WizardofHothPosted 1/3/2013 5:27:50 PM
DIdn't the Germans burn books back during World War II?
#90Frost_LASERPosted 1/3/2013 5:30:48 PM
I like how the NRA president blames violent video games LOL.