Localizations that take up one year to do just that.

#11silenthill4vidPosted 1/3/2013 2:01:07 PM
dunno, i import what i want so i dont care about the issue.
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#12deimos91Posted 1/3/2013 2:01:46 PM
Poltergust posted...
Yeah, there's more to localizing than just translating (which is a humongous task in of itself). You'd also need to edit the extensive script get rid of phrases and jokes that wouldn't make sense outside the country the game originated in, and perhaps change some components of the game to have it make more sense to foreign audiences. And if the game has voice acting and music with vocals, that may also get changed as well.

There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, but the main point is that localizing is not just about translating; it's about making the game feel right at home to foreign audiences.

coding and editing
---
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#13NessEggmanPosted 1/3/2013 3:14:15 PM
Don't forget that localization also includes editing artwork and creating promotional materials, packaging materials, writing a new manual, working out marketing details, getting product licenses, and publishing the game...

There's a lot more than text/language-related stuff that goes into localization.

A lot of times, games are further polished and touched up when they get a US release, for example.

Sometimes difficulty is changed, settings are changed, game systems are reworked, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes entire scenes are completely re-scripted and re-written almost from scratch. Stuff like that.
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/
#14FefnirOmega13Posted 1/3/2013 3:33:18 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves of the rune factory series...

It's taken roughly over a year for each one to get to EU shores from the US... and I can't really understand why.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#15forest_wandererPosted 1/3/2013 8:29:58 PM
Generally if the developers are ambitious enough, they'll localize it AS they develop it. Sure things may change last minute, but when everything is happening simultaneously, you're left with a short localization period, maybe only a couple months. None of this **** where they don't start doing so until after the game is 100% complete and actually launches, and end up finishing it a year later.
---
nightScan is one of the greatest human beings on the planet.
gamezrochard is a true man.
#16nintendoggerPosted 1/3/2013 8:32:42 PM
Layton games tend to be this way. It doesn't bother me because we've always gotten them late, so we still get the games yearly. But of course I'd like them at the same time as everyone else.

Also Animal Crossing better not take a year. :'(
---
Rah.