How is Liberation Maiden?

#11deimos91Posted 1/3/2013 1:58:10 PM
iMURDAu posted...
I'll just repeat my post from another topic...

9.5/10

For the price you're getting 5 levels, 3 difficulty settings, a gallery that requires you to accomplish certain goals to unlock pics, zero slowdown while facing a large number of enemies. Yes its short but its a brand new shmup that's under $10. I dock it a half point because A) There is always room for improvement in a new IP and B) No online leaderboards. Its barely more expensive than Gradius which is a game I love but I've owned it since the late 80s. To put it in perspective for the youth... Liberation Maiden is brand new Suda51 goodness in 3D for $8 and Gradius was $50 when I got it.

If you love shmups and have some cash to spare you have to get it. If you don't love shmups you'll consider it short and repetitive like a lot of the professional reviewers do. Which is not a valid criticism imo. Madden is repetitive because all you do is pick a play and try to score a touchdown, CoD is repetitive because you just run around and shoot people, 3D Land is repetitive because all you do is try to collect big gold coins and get to the flagpole. See I can apply it stupidly to all kinds of games! NintendoLife, I accept paypal.

that is accurate every game is technically repetition
---
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#12VelocirapteryxPosted 1/3/2013 2:44:13 PM(edited)
Freelance_Wolf posted...
It's a rail shooter, not a SHMUP.

I don't think you know what a rail shooter is. Star Fox and After Burner are rail shooters.

And it's very very short, TC. It'll take you max, 4 hours, to get everything unlocked 100 percent and that's only because one of the things only unlocks after playing for 4 hours. It's fun and the soundtrack is neat, but if you're not into the whole replay value being setting high scores like the shmup genre is, then you might find it a tad too much to pay.
#1321_21Posted 1/3/2013 2:45:05 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...

I've been debating getting it but never got around to it. I want Aero Porter more.

Um, games like Sin and Punishment and Starfox are rail shooters....Liberation Maiden is not like Sin and Punishment or Starfox, but you do shoot things around, therefore, it's a SHMUP.
---
Currently playing:
999, Megaman ZX Advent, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Scribblenauts Unlimited
#14Freelance_WolfPosted 1/3/2013 3:01:32 PM(edited)
21_21 posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...

I've been debating getting it but never got around to it. I want Aero Porter more.

Um, games like Sin and Punishment and Starfox are rail shooters....Liberation Maiden is not like Sin and Punishment or Starfox, but you do shoot things around, therefore, it's a SHMUP.

Well I've never played it myself so I can't confirm that, but I also said it was a SHMUP at one point and was told it was a rail shooter by other people (they corrected me). So I've been calling it a rail shooter since. Not that it matters though. Genres tend to get blurred these days. Heck, some people call games like Contra SHMUPs and Zelda games RPGs. SHMUPs and rail shooters are technically similar anyway.

P.S. I love Star Fox.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#1521_21Posted 1/3/2013 3:04:22 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
21_21 posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...

Well I've never played it myself so I can't confirm that, but I also said it was a SHMUP at one point and was told it was a rail shooter by other people (they corrected me). So I've been calling it a rail shooter since. Not that it matters though. Genres tend to get blurred these days. Heck, some people call games like Contra SHMUPs and Zelda games RPGs. SHMUPs and rail shooters are technically similar anyway.

P.S. I love Star Fox.

Well, I originally thought SHMUPs are just "beat-em ups with guns or other shooters", but shmups are actually games like Axelay, Gradius, etc., so I guess I was wrong in calling LM that.

I think the genre we can put Liberation Maiden in where everyone can agree on is Third person shooter.

Now that I think about it, SHMUPs may be a variety of rail shooters. You dont' control where you go, even though you can control the movements.

PS. Never implied you've never heard of Star fox.
---
Currently playing:
#16Freelance_WolfPosted 1/3/2013 3:13:15 PM(edited)
I know you didn't imply it, but you sounded as if (from my viewpoint) I didn't know Sin & Punishment and Star Fox are rail shooters so I said I love SF (never played S&P) to show you that I do.

Yes I think rail shooters are simply off shoots from SHMUPs, like bullet hells.

Anyway, I love SHMUPs. I prefer vertical ones although I still play horizontal ones like Gradius.

---
#17opopopzaPosted 1/3/2013 3:16:06 PM
Liberation Maiden is definitely not a SHUMP.

I didn't really like the game. I am a fan of Suda51, so I gave it a chance. The game is just too short to justify its price, and the gameplay was not that great. I would say the game is slightly below average, I think that there is a good game hidden in there somewhere.
---
Can you say David Hasselhoff?
#18FefnirOmega13Posted 1/3/2013 3:42:44 PM
opopopza posted...
Liberation Maiden is definitely not a SHUMP.

Yes it is. It's not bullet hell or danmaku or whatever you want to call the genre, but it is indeed a shmup.

XMonkeySniperX posted...
How's it for lefties?

Not good. No alternate control scheme.

My only failing with the game. It's pretty good, if a little short.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#1921_21Posted 1/3/2013 3:53:54 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
I know you didn't imply it, but you sounded as if (from my viewpoint) I didn't know Sin & Punishment and Star Fox are rail shooters so I said I love SF (never played S&P) to show you that I do.

Yes I think rail shooters are simply off shoots from SHMUPs, like bullet hells.

Anyway, I love SHMUPs. I prefer vertical ones although I still play horizontal ones like Gradius.

You might like Axelay, then. There are both horizontal and vertical levels in that game, or did you already play it? Also, have you played Ikaruga?
---
Currently playing:
#20Freelance_WolfPosted 1/3/2013 4:18:27 PM
I've played Axelay decades ago but I don't remember much of it at all. See? I didn't even remember it has vertical levels too. Never played the other game. I've never seen it in stores.I have loads of SHMUP collections on PSP, 98% of which are imports.
---