Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning or Animal Crossing: New Leaf?

#1jedinatPosted 1/3/2013 1:53:55 PM(edited)
Should I wait for Animal Crossing or get the new Harvest Moon? I enjoyed the GCN Animal Crossing, but could not stand 10 minutes of the DS one (couldn't take the voices anymore and didn't like the "rolling sphere" graphics--might also be because the game was pretty old the first time I tried it and I felt I was "wasting" my time on an outdated gathering game, lol).

I played several Harvest Moon games for a little while, but never got really into one. This one apparently has more customization and such which intrigues me.
#2masa8munePosted 1/3/2013 2:05:36 PM
harvest moon i guess...
---
rumors about bleach getting cancelled,hope its just a rumor.
#3Swan3624Posted 1/3/2013 2:05:44 PM
I have played neither, but I am biased towards Animal Crossing. I love animals, and living in a town where all that lives and breathes and talks are various animals... I love it! :D I wasted many a-life on Animal Crossing on the Gamecube and DS, but the Wii one didn't hold me too much for some reason.

Harvest Moon is addicting and fun at first, for me, but after a while I just lose that addiction and fun factor. It starts to become a chore, and it falls under the personally-dreaded "Sims" curse for me. Going through a grind every time I play the game, water crops, feed cows, eggs from chickens, sleep, water crops, feed cows, eggs from chickens, sleep. That's a very crude generalization of what I liken my time of Harvest Moon to, and it was a while ago when I played it, but I still choose Animal Crossing over it any day.

Animal Crossing is its own little world. You don't have any requirements, and it doesn't really become a grind. It is mostly about losing yourself in this pleasant world where you can catch bugs, fish, talk to some porcupines about clothing, meet with a fox who owns a black market every now and again... There's a lot more variety in the stuff you can do, and it never feels like it falls in a specific grind-like order whenever I play. I am free to do whatever I want, whenever I want. The only requirement is to pick weeds, but that's a small thing... until you forget about them and you come back five months later to find your town is now filled with an infestation of the dreaded things!

...which reminds me of why I fell out of love with Animal Crossing: The realtime aspect. Harvest Moon, to my knowledge, lacks that realtime aspect. You can turn it on one day, stop for a couple weeks, come back, and everything will be back to normal. But Animal Crossing is realtime. You turn it off for two weeks, weeds will overpower City Hall, your newfound cow friend will abandon ship, and blah blah blah.

So it may sound like I will change my opinion on Animal Crossing, but no... I still prefer it to Harvest Moon.
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#4nintendoggerPosted 1/3/2013 2:40:20 PM
There is gonna be quite a wait for the new animal crossing, so I'd recommend HM: ANB. It's a very good Harvest Moon.
---
Rah.
#5MerisYakiPosted 1/3/2013 3:04:13 PM
The first Animal Crossing had charm, then quickly turned to uninspired, lazy, copy and paste sequels.

Harvest Moon series is a trooper, and can still put out games on-par or close to Harvest Moon 64.

Plus real-time vs non-real time. Longer sessions can be had with Harvest Moon.
#6NessEggmanPosted 1/3/2013 3:10:09 PM
If you felt Wild World was tired and dated, definitely get Harvest Moon. Animal Crossing has not come very far in terms of innovative, new systems. Just like WW had a few new little tweaks and features, that's all City Folk was, and that's all New Leaf is. It's the same game, with extra goodies that have been pasted on as the series has aged. Now, if you love AC and you like playing the game that way, New Leaf will be great, but it sounds like you don't really like that, so you'll probably be very disappointed by New Leaf.

Harvest Moon is similar, but changes a bit more than Animal Crossing does. And A New Beginning is one of the best in the series, IMO, and has all kinds of little features to keep you interested.
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/
#7WiseWarrior101Posted 1/3/2013 5:03:29 PM
I love both series, but Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning is my 2nd favorite game of all time. It's a lot of fun, and there's a bunch of stuff to do, so I never got bored.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1411-9831
1 hungry spider + 1 hungry spider: 1 fat spider
#8jedinat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 7:05:23 PM
Thanks guys I'm getting Harvest Moon. Or, I tried... http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/65087419
#9silenthill4vidPosted 1/3/2013 7:46:25 PM
new leaf is amazing fun tho, get it later.
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#10NettoSaitoPosted 1/3/2013 10:04:54 PM
I guess Harvest Moon then.

Still, how couldn't you take the voices in WW, but you were fine with them in the original? Also WW was basically a MMO lol, so if you didn't play for more than 10 minutes, and you didn't have your friends list maxed out with people, and you weren't using nook bay or posting on the Nsider forums, then you missed out on a lot/really have no idea what the game was really like.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito