I don't know why people bash all Gamestops...

#31SuperrpgmanPosted 1/3/2013 11:33:57 PM
forest_wanderer posted...
Most people don't bash Gamestop. It's just this small but vocal group of angsty teenagers and neckbeards in their early 20s who don't really comprehend the way jobs work, and think that complaining about everything is the easiest way to be funny.

Most jobs do not REQUIRE you to LIE to every customer you come across in order to keep your job.

Most jobs do not REQUIRE you to ask every single customer if they want a magazine subscription, and pointless insurance to keep your job.

Most jobs do not FIRE its employees if shovelware liscened crap doesn't sell enough.

Most Gamestop store employees HAVE to deal with all of that constantly.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with gamestop. It's just something cool to hate.
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#32AHRavenPosted 1/4/2013 12:21:10 AM
As previously stated in the thread, location matters. There are two stores in my city and I've had nothing but friendly experiences there. Then I took a trip to Minnesota a few weeks ago where my friends and I entered a store with employees that made fun of everyone that entered out loud
---
Not changing this until Mega Man Legends 3 is back in development.
Started: 07/29/2011
#33EchidneysPosted 1/4/2013 1:04:02 AM
I've had my fair share of crappy Gamestop employees. They've almost always had this patronizing way of serving me as the customer. Yet they hire dolts, like this kid with a Bieber-cut who told me a trade-in deal they had was over, when the other guy, who had a beard, on his smoke break outside said it was not.
And while making a purchase, the same kid later saw a tablet they had displayed on the front counter and asked, "whoa how long has this been here?"
"Two days, it's been there for two days," said the bearded guy.

Then there are the cool ones who actually have conversations (albeit awkward at times) about games, and then there are times where they redeem themselves by correcting a mistake like giving me a new copy of a game after giving me the wrong version of a used one in the first place. Also, they saved my life once.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#34TinyTim123Posted 1/4/2013 1:54:55 AM(edited)
The main thing that really pisses me off is when I have fully paid for something that I reserved, but because it is something popular and they run out, they are required to sell my copy if I haven't picked it up within 24 hours.

Because, you know, as soon as they call me, I am supposed to rush right the hell over there and pick it up. It isn't like I got to school and have a job during their normal Tuesday business hours or anything.
Then you go in to get it on Saturday, and of course, your copy is gone. When asked when another copy is to come in, they don't know. What was the point in me reserving it if it doesn't guarantee a copy for me when I can get there to pick it up?

That's why I like my local independent video game dealer. If I pay for something, James saves it for me. Heck, he'll have it bagged and waiting for me when I get there! If it comes in early, he doesn't care about street date, he just hands it over!
Plus, the nearest Gamestop store to me right now is 90 miles away.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#35LoveFreakFlonnePosted 1/4/2013 2:17:27 AM
IAznDragonI Yan posted...
IAznDragonI Yan posted...
why can't we just go in there, buy a game and leave without them pestering us about pre ordering this or signing up for their membership? hell, i don't even think funcoland did that crap back in the good old days

You want to know why? It is all marketing. If you pre-order something at GameStop what do you have to do? Go back to GameStop to pick up the game you pre-ordered. But getting you to pre-order the company is guaranteeing you enter the store again.

And who knows maybe when you go in to get that pre-order you find that game you have been wanting right there in the pre-owned section. Boom more money for the company.

That is why I just ask, throw out a few titles just in case the person wasn't aware said titles were coming out soon and then if they say no I ring them up.

yeah i know it's all "marketing" but what if they never do that? you wouldn't be annoyed by them pestering you about pre ordering a game you aren't interested in.

Is it really that much pestering... the ones at the gamestops that I have been too do one of three things, They see what you are buying and say Oh hey xxx of the same genre is coming out soon were you interested in pre-ordering this (I.e. you buy say Final Fantasy 13, so they bring up Star Ocean 4,) or just ask if there were any I am interested in without offering suggestions... Or with one of the managers he would just print me out a paper for every system I own with every game release date currently in their system, but never bothered me about pre-ordering any of them.
---
I'm just a dirty little pop song, that keeps running through your brain. And even though you know its so wrong you're gonna love going insane.
#36PsyGunWulfPosted 1/4/2013 3:02:20 AM
I've been to several Gamestops several times. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've walked inside of a Gamestop and made a purchase. And you know what? Every time the experience has been pretty mediocre just like every other retailer I shop at.

One time they forgot to put the game in the case and I left with an empty case. Another time an employee of EB Games told me they didn't have a new copy of Final Fantasy Tactics in stock and they did. Did I blow up and have a tantrum and write about it on a forum somewhere? Nope. Crap happens, mistakes are made everyday. Life goes on.
#37andreoni79Posted 1/4/2013 3:29:30 AM
"Hi, I'm ______ . How can I help you?"
"Shut up and learn something about videogames!"

You don't have to love videogames to work there, you just have to be a perfect liar.
#38blankempathyPosted 1/4/2013 3:41:08 AM(edited)
forest_wanderer posted...
Most people don't bash Gamestop. It's just this small but vocal group of angsty teenagers and neckbeards in their early 20s who don't really comprehend the way jobs work, and think that complaining about everything is the easiest way to be funny.

Its funny because typically the bad gamestop employees are the angsty teenagers and neckbeards in their early 20s.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#39jordandrakoPosted 1/4/2013 6:17:02 AM
Gamestop will only offer $40 for a Mint condition 3DS. No, Gamestop is not a good company.
---
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | i5-3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Gigabyte GTX670 | M4 128GB SSD | 2.5TB HDD | DDR3 1600 8GB | 520W | 212 EVO
http://imgur.com/a/U2Y5m
#40Darkstorm16Posted 1/4/2013 7:44:04 AM
I've had mixed issues with mine.

The bad:
the woman in there is just a plain ol' b**ch
They sold me a used NSMB for the DS in celophane, with a new price marked on it and the cart...seemed off. It tightly fit in my 3ds but it was hard to pull out unlike most of my carts.
They sold a used system to one of my friends but kept saying something is wrong with their wiring just because it wouldnt turn on when they plugged it in their wall....so I tried it and it didnt work.

The Good:
I was lacking 6 cents on Kid Icarus Uprising and they just let it through.
There's a few that are talkative to me atleast
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia