People say the 3D is better on the XL...

#1jedinatPosted 1/4/2013 1:22:43 PM
...yet I recently tried one out for a couple minutes and it seemed to me there is much less illusion of depth... The regular 3DS looks much sharper and "deeper"....

Grant you, the XL is much more comfortable to hold, but the analog nub feels kind of loose and cheap.

Just trying to get a perspective, because I really can't afford to be thinking about trading my 3DS for an XL, lol. I loved my DSi XL for a long time, but eventually became indifferent, and when I went back and tried a regular DSi I didn't really care all that much about the size difference.
#2TheRealMrManPosted 1/4/2013 1:27:41 PM
In my experience, 3D effect is the same but the viewing angle on the XL is much more narrow. Circle pad on the two XLs I've spent some time with felt very smooth even after a week, better than the ones on the originals which seem to get scratchier with time if they're not already that way at first.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#3oldhbk76Posted 1/4/2013 1:51:08 PM
I think the opposite
---
gamer tag SteelWolf76: 3ds fc: 5086-0928-4789
#4CompassPosted 1/4/2013 1:56:57 PM
People generally try to reassure themselves the XL is better in all sorts of ways when it's either a) personal preference, or b) objectively worse.

I have both and almost never play my XL. Far prefer the original, and this is one of the reasons: enhanced illusion of depth.
#5silenthill4vidPosted 1/4/2013 1:59:22 PM
never had the original, but the xl is fine to me. i hardly ever want to use it, so its off most of the time. especially with animal crossing, lol, time flies.
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#6TheRealMrManPosted 1/4/2013 2:05:13 PM
Compass posted...
People generally try to reassure themselves the XL is better in all sorts of ways when it's either a) personal preference, or b) objectively worse.

I have both and almost never play my XL. Far prefer the original, and this is one of the reasons: enhanced illusion of depth.

Stylus placement, battery life, and being easier to clean are about the only things I can think of that are objectively better about the XL.
---
#7xXMrWolfXxPosted 1/4/2013 2:11:42 PM
The battery life may be better but not substantially better. Only 30+ minutes more than the original.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611
#8SpideymasterPosted 1/4/2013 2:14:40 PM
xXMrWolfXx posted...
The battery life may be better but not substantially better. Only 30+ minutes more than the original.

It can be longer than 30 minutes.

As for the 3D...I don't think it's any better than the original 3DS in terms of the sweet spot and overall depth, but I don't think it's any worse, either. Then again, it's been months since I've played the original, so I don't exactly remember how much different the 3D is on that, if it is at all.
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#9TheRealMrManPosted 1/4/2013 2:19:42 PM
xXMrWolfXx posted...

It's probably more than that but I agree that the improved battery life isn't as big a deal as people like to make it seem.
---
#10xXMrWolfXxPosted 1/4/2013 4:03:42 PM
If you're not playing 3DS cartridge games your 3DS will tend to last longer than its estimated 5-8 hour battery life. Sometimes I find it lasting longer than just a few hours when I play original DS games or even the virtual console games. I'm more of a retro player more than half the time so I guess I could say I am satisfied with the 3DS battery life.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611