Paper Mario: Sticker Star questions...

#1Swan3624Posted 1/4/2013 3:03:51 PM
Hey all! I am about to venture out and scavenge for my runaway 3DS, so that I can download a game from the eShop, in order to take part in the Donkey Kong promotion (seriously, Donkey Kong NES was the one game I was wishing for on the 3DS Virtual Console <3)

So I was thinking either Paper Mario: Sticker Star or Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. I'm leaning more towards Paper Mario, though, because I'm thinking it will be a more easygoing experience in terms of necessary brainpower.

But I had a couple questions about it first:

1. How difficult is the game for a newbie at RPGs? I beat Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, but those are the only true RPGs (unlike Zelda and Okami) I have ever beaten.

2. How is the story? I remember laughing a lot and having a great time with the story in Thousand Year Door, even though I never got very far.

3. I heard there are difficulty spikes when it comes to bosses. Difficulty spikes can make or break my enjoyment of a game, so how bad of a difficulty spike are we talking?

4. Is it a fun game?

I'm just looking for a pleasant game with a fun story and gameplay that won't frustrate me. Is Paper Mario: Sticker Star my game?

Finally, how many blocks does it take up when you download it from the eShop?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses! :D
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2Mariofan15Posted 1/4/2013 3:09:12 PM
1It isnt that difficult but you can find yourself running out of stickers if your careless or wondering what to do since the game doesnt give you hints at all.
2:The story is non existent. No,it really is since there isnt a story.
3:Those arent difficulty spikes. Those are cheap moments where you supposedly need to use the Boss's weakness which the game doesnt tell you unless you die or run.
4:It's allright. Not the best Paper Mario game but it's pretty fun,I guess.
5:Dont know how many blocks it takes since I bought the retail version.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#3TheRealMrManPosted 1/4/2013 3:15:08 PM
1) It isn't that difficult. The difficulty more comes from figuring out the sometimes very obtuse and cryptic puzzles or passages you should be taking. Have a FAQ handy because you'll probably need to consult it at least once.

2) Story is barely there; this is nothing like previous PM games.

3) Bosses are like puzzles in that they pretty much require certain stickers to defeat. There are hints as to what their weaknesses will be but once again they can be very cryptic. An annoying aspect of the game to be honest.

4) Personally I thought it was very fun for the first 2 or so worlds. About halfway through world 3 I could feel my interest fading and I've barely done anything in world 4.

5) You can check to see how many blocks it is before purchasing it. I wouldn't recommend downloading this game though. Even if you don't want to sell it you almost definitely won't get much replay value out of it.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#4Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 5:13:04 PM
Hm thank you for the responses... I am a little more worried about this purchase now.'

Would you recommend Professor Layton over Sticker Star?
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
#5legendarylemurPosted 1/4/2013 5:16:13 PM
This game is fairly underrated actually. It's enjoyable, and the last few worlds are pretty fun. The story is definitely not there, but it's more in the classic Mario roots, and the small interactions with npcs or bosses that you get is enough to keep you satisfied. The world 4 boss is especially touchy feely.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Official official. Officially
#6CronoDynePosted 1/4/2013 5:31:29 PM
This game is fairly underrated actually.

Not really. All the criticism it receives is fair and accurate, and a lot of people that bring up the criticism even admit they had fun with the game.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#7StephenYap3Posted 1/4/2013 5:43:48 PM
Swan3624 posted...
Would you recommend Professor Layton over Sticker Star?

No. I recommend the opposite. Professor Layton isn't a bad game since it's pretty decent (so far), but I only got it for the free Donkey Kong: Original Edition, which I haven't gotten its DL code for yet. Sticker Star is fun and I consider it to be the best 3DS Mario game in my book.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(
#8Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 6:54:38 PM
Gah this is such a hard decision now lol...

Any more opinions?
---
#9ptreemf12Posted 1/4/2013 7:03:19 PM
I say Sticker Star. I don't really have any problems with it... Yeah it's not like the old Paper Marios, but it's still a pretty good game in my book.
---
White FC [Panda]: 3783 - 6584 - 4908
White 2 FC [Liz]: 2666 - 9974 - 6792
#10rahxephon122Posted 1/4/2013 7:27:49 PM
I just beat sticker star a few nights ago.
You shouldn't have troubles running out of stickers. They're literally splattered everywhere. Don't worry too much about using or "wasting" any because they're very easy to re-new or get again. The first two worlds are a blast, the third gets a little tricky, but the end is decent.
I never once needed a FAQ or to look anything up, but if you're not very good at problem solving you might need it.

I wouldn't say bosses are "unbeatable" without their weaknesses, but be prepared to blow through a lot of stickers if you don't have it. (IMO, it's fairly obvious what it is if you look through your "things".)

The difficulty is alright. Not too hard, but not brain dead either. There's moderate strategy as to how to beat enemies in the best way possible.
Some levels aren't straightforward and you may need to leave and re-enter a stage a time or two to bring back what you need to go on.

I'm a little biased against FFVIII (since my ex-bf always raved about how great it was. When it bored me so bad having to watch him play that I preferred to study instead.) but compared to the ridiculously large amount of cutscenes in FFVIII, I would say Paper Mario Sticker Star has about as much story in it as one of the half-hour segments of Lightning, Snow, and Hope talking.

As far as depth goes, you'll probably be up to your knees. All of your abilities are unlocked right from the get-go. Your jump, hammer, sticker using, paperizing, ect. Everything gets covered within the first half hour and you get no new abilities throughout the game. You won't always be doing the same thing, but you start out with everything you can do (except the types of stickers you can find.)

All in all, definitely get it. It's rather enjoyable, but it had more potential.
---
Ich habe keinen Meister bis auf den Wind der Freiheit!