Questionable Build Quality of the 3DS XL

#1chronobreak987Posted 1/5/2013 4:34:47 AM
I recently received a 3DS XL during Christmas and upon opening the system that the back plate was visibly loose on both sides. The tabs didn't seem to do anything whatsoever to keep it solid.

I read around many sites and noticed it's a semi-common problem with these along among other things.

I did what I felt I should for a new piece of hardware and got an exchange at Best Buy, opened it at the customer service desk and the same problem as well as a scratch on the screen. So, the employee went back to get another and I tested it out once again. This time the D-pad was incredibly loose, lifted a couple millimeters and rattled constantly while using the touch screen at all.

I've had pretty much every Nintendo handheld and aside from the early DS Lite hinge issue, I've never seen such shoddy build quality.Speakers are noticeably better to boot. Comparing this to my brother's regular 3DS which I've used constantly, while uncomfortable in comparison to the XL, never had any of these build quality problems. At this point I have no idea what to do. I kind of feel bad returning so many of these, but at this point I don't know if I should continue to look for a system that I feel will continue to have issues or get something else (exchange or credit only).

I'm curious if anybody else has the incredibly loose back plate and/or D-Pad on their 3DS XL. I'd say I'm being picky, but all of my systems from 10 years+ don't have any issues like this.

Sorry for the blog-like post. Frustrated at this point with what I got and I don't know anybody with this system to really compare.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4642 - 1492 -3239
Pokedex Completed: 3/11/12
#2Elements012894Posted 1/5/2013 4:37:00 AM
Mines fine actually. I have both 3DS infact I'd say the XL is much better designed. I like both though.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#3aamotPosted 1/5/2013 5:33:11 AM
My XL is completely fine, as are many others. I would think that there are enough "good" units out there that, if you still have interest in playing a (well constructed) 3DSXL, then keep at the returns until you get one that's put together well.

Unless you become like, neurotically perfectionist during this process and freak out the Best Buy guys.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 1/5/2013 5:37:13 AM
i have it slightly loose on the right side. its due to the plate only having screws at the back and just measly clips at the front. its a little irritating but i just ignore it most of the time.
#5chronobreak987(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 8:30:51 AM
My current 3DS XL is very solid on the back plate this time, but I didn't realize how bad the D-Pad was while I was there. I actually had someone at Best Buy put on a screen protector on the bottom screen since I always seem to mess it up.

I just can't deal with the noisiest and loosest D-Pad I've ever used, so I guess I'll have to get it exchanged again. Feels on par with a used N64 analog stick in quality. Do most of you really have a stiff D-Pad that doesn't feel like it could fall out? Just seems crazy that the quality control is so lackluster that mine could be so different.
---
#6Retroxgamer0Posted 1/5/2013 8:34:10 AM
yeah usually the systems look better as time goes on, but this sucker is ugly.
#7chex81Posted 1/5/2013 8:34:11 AM
I'm very happy with my 3ds xl build quality
---
gt/psn: chex81
#8HakuPosted 1/5/2013 8:49:39 AM
Mine is fine. I had to exchange the first as it had scratches on the screen, but the replacement has no issues.
#9chronobreak987(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 8:51:36 AM
Guess I'm just incredibly unlucky :(. Does make me wonder if they took a hammer to this D-Pad though.
---
#10aamotPosted 1/5/2013 8:55:16 AM
You sound like a technochondriac.

You checked the system over in-store, but missed that the D-Pad is the noisiest and loudest you've ever seen? Sounds like you're getting this paranoia into your head and it's making you crazy.

If the only thing wrong with it is a loose D-Pad, suck it up. D-Pad is rarely used anyway.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833