Questionable Build Quality of the 3DS XL

#21SquirrelettePosted 1/5/2013 11:17:56 AM
BigReed posted...
Second_Chances posted...
Isn't the backplate SUPPOSED to be loose so you can actually, you know, easily change out the battery?

Yes.

Despite the fact that every piece of electronics (with replaceable batteries) in the history of ever has managed to allow for battery replacement *without* having the case be ridiculously loose and peel away? Sure...sounds plausible. SMH
---
~" A chat with you, and somehow death loses its sting."~
#22BigReedPosted 1/5/2013 11:46:45 AM
Squirrelette posted...
BigReed posted...
Second_Chances posted...
Isn't the backplate SUPPOSED to be loose so you can actually, you know, easily change out the battery?

Yes.

Despite the fact that every piece of electronics (with replaceable batteries) in the history of ever has managed to allow for battery replacement *without* having the case be ridiculously loose and peel away? Sure...sounds plausible. SMH

"Simply your own personal opinion."
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#23SquirrelettePosted 1/5/2013 12:58:27 PM
BigReed posted...
Squirrelette posted...
BigReed posted...
Second_Chances posted...

Yes.

"Simply your own personal opinion."

Uh, no. Not this time. Pick up any piece of electronics from the last 30 years that has a replaceable battery and see if the case peels away or is loose. I can't think of a single other one. Ever. If anyone else can, please share.
---
~" A chat with you, and somehow death loses its sting."~
#24deimos91Posted 1/5/2013 4:50:06 PM
my L button is much looser than my R
---
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#25X_ULTIMA_XPosted 1/6/2013 12:36:49 AM
Ive had to return 4 xls, every single one of them had a loose dpad, it just isnt acceptable quality but thats not why i returned it. The first one had a really loose r button, second one had a crack on the back panel, third one had scratches on the screen and the fourth one had a really loose l button, loose back cover, and the right speaker was half dead and made a vibration like sound. After that i just returned it and got my money back. This isnt acceptable, i dont know how they can vary so much in build quality straight out of the box. Every controller ive had has never had loose buttons even after years of use.

Hopefully it was just a rushed out batch in time for christmas. Ill try again in a few months when monster hunter, luigis mansion, fire emblem and animal crossing have come out. But yeah im really pissed with nintendo
---
Regards, Dolan
R.I.P fungivore 2012-2012
#26darkness1018Posted 1/6/2013 1:19:14 AM
Squirrelette posted...
BigReed posted...
I think you're being a bit picky. The 3ds XL build quality is worlds better than the original 3ds.

What exactly is supposed to be wrong with the build quality of the regular 3DS? The strip covering the home, start and select buttons tends to be peel-y, but that's not a huge deal. I've heard the shoulder buttons can be bad (a common problem with all of the DS family, it seems). All I know is that I can take the memory stick out of my regular 3DS and not have the back plate start to peel off and I can actually *hear* my games.

I see no reason for anyone ever to buy the regular 3ds over the XL.

Simply your own personal opinion. There are many of us that don't like the XL's. You couldn't pay me enough to take one for several reasons.

But the XL really is better though. Mine was perfect out of the box and after seeing my XL, the friends of mine who had a reg 3DS quickly went to gamestop to trade them in for XLs. All systems are in perfect shape. Who wouldnt want bigger sceens? Whats there not to like about bigger and better? The sylus is also put in a MUCH better on the side then having it in the back which was really annoying on the reg 3DS.
---
PSN: nightwing2099
3DS XL FC: 1693-0734-3733
#27Squished_MarioPosted 1/6/2013 2:31:01 AM
I never experienced these issues with XL, but I purchased the system on the launch date...maybe they were better batches at the time? It's too difficult to say. My dpad was great and everything was built well. But I understand your concerns. These systems are not as great as they used to be....keep in mind they are assembled in China like everything, and many of Nintendo's stuff -used- to be made in Japan ( which generally made it of better build quality ) so that's probably half the problem. That and, I am surprised as their standards for this sort of thing have fallen, considering most everything Nintendo made used to come out of their country of origin.

My first 3DS had to be returned due to the screen scratching issue, and I'd say the first 3DS design was FAR worse than the 3DS XL...with the glued on strip and other issues, I'd never touch the thing again.
---
The SquishedMario hurts, and has just been spoken by the truth.
PSN: VexSilver
#28Boomer_KuwangaPosted 1/6/2013 10:00:43 AM
I'd say the XL is much better designed. I like both though.

The 3ds XL build quality is worlds better than the original 3ds.

Are you people seriously on drugs? How can you possibly believe this? The OG 3ds feels solid and durable. The buttons are great, as well as the stick and dpad. The XL feels like it's made out of the cheapest plastic nintendo could get away with using. The buttons are almost as mushy as the DS Lite, and the triggers are so awkward they're painful. The ONLY thing the Xl has over the OG is the screen. That's it.
---
"It was really great, stealing zombie Jesus's legendary Horse Wiener."
#29BigReedPosted 1/6/2013 3:24:54 PM
Boomer_Kuwanga posted...
I'd say the XL is much better designed. I like both though.

The 3ds XL build quality is worlds better than the original 3ds.

Are you people seriously on drugs? How can you possibly believe this? The OG 3ds feels solid and durable. The buttons are great, as well as the stick and dpad. The XL feels like it's made out of the cheapest plastic nintendo could get away with using. The buttons are almost as mushy as the DS Lite, and the triggers are so awkward they're painful. The ONLY thing the Xl has over the OG is the screen. That's it.

I disagree.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#30ilikepie641Posted 1/6/2013 3:36:00 PM
My back plate - only opens when opening the sd card slot or i run my fingernail through the cracks... this should be normal since there are only 2 screws on the back torwards the card slot... dsi had about 6
D-pad - Feels fine, and pretty much the exact one on the dsi
Screens - Didn't notice scratches but there is a noticable yellow tint to the top screen... common issue and with time it went away or i got used to it