I don't understand all the Sticker Star hate

#1abbyhitterPosted 1/6/2013 6:39:56 AM(edited)
I downloaded the original Paper Mario about 4 years ago on the Wii's Virtual Console. I got to some haunted forest area and decided to give up on the game. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't really get into it. I haven't played it since then. That was the first and only Paper Mario game I had ever played.

I picked up Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario this past Christmas just to see if I could rekindle any interest in the Paper Mario series. I decided to play Sticker Star first and let my Wii rest from all the Xenoblade Chronicles that I had been playing for a whole month.

In PP:SS, I just made it to the Goomba Fortress in World 1. I am completely loving the game so far. It's nothing like all the tedious button mashing and timed control stick flicks that I never could grasp in the first Paper Mario. I love the simplicity of choosing a sticker, pressing A, and pressing A a few more times for timed hits that are easy to pull off. If SS's battle system was in the first Paper Mario, I think I could have tolerated that game a little more.

Also, I love how the worlds are split into levels. It blends in some of the 2D/3D platformer Mario world set-up. Restoring your HP and saving is no longer a chore. +50 points to Gryffindor for that. So far, I am completely loving Sticker Star, and I don't understand why so many people on here dislike this game. I think all you haters need to come to terms with the fact that this game is not the original Paper Mario, TTYD, or SPM.

I just had to throw my opinion out there. I know that most of you are not going to agree or call me a troll, but I just wanted to let y'all know that I don't agree with the hate that this game receives.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#2DeathSnipe777Posted 1/6/2013 6:46:12 AM
I agree with you completely, however I have enjoyed all the Paper Mario games because they were fun to play, not because they were too similar or too different to other games in the series.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#3tw1g_007Posted 1/6/2013 6:46:57 AM
Blah blah blah.

TL

DR

Its a terrible game. A huge letdown. End of story.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#4DeathSnipe777Posted 1/6/2013 7:14:26 AM(edited)
Twig, you're bad at this. You should stick to writing bowgunning FAQs instead of trying to troll and calling peoples opinions wrong.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#5UiruPosted 1/6/2013 6:51:11 AM
I played Paper Mario on Wii VC for the first time and it was amazing. I loved every minute of it.

I got TTYD afterwards and didn't actually enjoy it as much. I know that's kind of weird.

Sticker Star is still really fun, though. It's probably at least my second favorite so far. Of course, I've never been offended by "different".
---
~Uiru
#6AppleframerPosted 1/6/2013 6:58:31 AM
The battle system doesn't bother me so much. What is disappointing most about Sticker Star is that it took away the unique and interesting characters/areas and replaced them with generic stock Mario characters/areas and killed removed anything resembling a story. The previous games had so much more charm.

Sticker Star was sorta almost decent I guess, but the first two games will always be some of my favorite games of all time.
#7NeatNatePosted 1/6/2013 8:13:02 AM
Uiru posted...
I played Paper Mario on Wii VC for the first time and it was amazing. I loved every minute of it.

I got TTYD afterwards and didn't actually enjoy it as much. I know that's kind of weird.

Whoa! Another one! I wasn't a big fan of TTYD either, despite adoring the first.
---
Nate.
Pax Utopia
#8Kaze_MemaryuPosted 1/6/2013 9:10:23 AM
I really love TTYD, but the first Paper Mario would have left a more positive effect on me if I had played it first. Super Paper Mario was just lame, hands down.

But Sticker Star isn't neccessarily bad, just plain damn easy. There's absolutely no challenge in the entire game - not even when you restrict yourself to regular stickers and required ones only. If there was at least an actual leveling system, the fights wouldn't mostly feel like an utter waste of time (and the few coins for a perfect aren't worth the hassle until the second half of the game). Like it or not, you can finish Sticker Star in an almost-pacifist run by only going for plot fights.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#9pariah164Posted 1/6/2013 9:15:15 AM
Thank you, TC. I also love the game. :)
---
The Original Pari - Accept Nothing Less (Innocent Until Proven Evil)
Keeping this in my sig until a new Phoenix Wright game is released in the US!
#10StephenYap3Posted 1/6/2013 9:16:31 AM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
I agree with you completely, however I have enjoyed all the Paper Mario games because they were fun to play, not because they were too similar or too different to other games in the series.

This.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(