Nvidia announces handheld system - new possible competition for 3DS?

#21CyclicalPosted 1/6/2013 11:49:40 PM
Zero_Maniac posted...
Cyclical posted...
Don't write it off so quickly, it looks pretty cool. I don't think 3DS has anything to worry about, the Vita may be in trouble though (as if it wasn't already).

1. The Vita actually looks and feels good to hold.

2. The Vita actually has (some, dwindling) support.

3. Although not many know what the Vita is, way less people will ever hear about this product most likely.

Yeah, learning more about it, I don't think it's competing in the 3DS/Vita market at all.
#22gransPosted 1/7/2013 12:02:47 AM(edited)
In general I like Nvidia. They create great hardware, PC graphics cards as well as their powerful Tegra chips for mobile devices. Tegra 4 particularly looks really nice, as well as the visuals in Dead Trigger 2 (made specifically FOR Tegra 4).

But the design of this thing, ugh kill it with fire. It doesn't look very portable and it's the complete opposite of sleek and elegant. Quite literally looks like a smartphone attached to the top of an Xbox controller. And for a company that built themselves on creating hardware to push incredible visuals, i'm rather stunned they would create such a hideous device. It looks like an unofficial solution created by amateurs on Kickstarter. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the iControlPad or especially the Moga controller-
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4290195/IMG_5086_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

I like Android systems, but definitely not for gaming purposes. Unless this device can fundamentally change the way developers make games for Android (moving away from the large quantity of shovelware, cheap knockoffs, or ports), the Android game library doesn't inspire much confidence even with a physical control solution.

At this point i'm wondering how much this thing is going to cost, and whether there's going to be any drive for developers in general to start putting a bit more effort into Android games.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#23Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/7/2013 12:02:40 AM
It can stream PC games and output them to your TV screen.

Still looks like a piece of crap though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8Ri7C.jpg - Viridi is best goddess.
#24robomasteralphaPosted 1/7/2013 12:03:25 AM
AppleJockRida posted...
So when is Apple finally going to add buttons to the iPad? If it doesnt do it as a result of this announcement I suspect Apple still hates gaming after all of these years.

Apple created the Pippin. They don't just hate gaming in general, they hate gamers.
---
Shop smart. Shop Mario Mart.
#25jedinatPosted 1/7/2013 12:26:03 AM
Bleh, looks like crap. Not really competition for real dedicated handhelds...
#26badboyPosted 1/7/2013 12:29:18 AM(edited)
It's a good hardware but the lack of proper software may kill it, unless NVIDIA is going to fund some high quality games for it.
#27IHeartMetroidPosted 1/7/2013 1:09:35 AM
AppleJockRida posted...
So when is Apple finally going to add buttons to the iPad? If it doesnt do it as a result of this announcement I suspect Apple still hates gaming after all of these years.

It wasn't "Apple" persay that's the problem. The whole "I hate buttons" thing came about because Steve Jobs returned to Apple and exerted extreme influence in design philosophy. Buttons and fans are two things he absolutely despised during his lifetime, and the products he got his hands on (like the Apple III) bore that signature look.

It's been about a year or so since Jobs passed away. When more and more designers begin to realize that his design philosophies were crap and start actually making devices with functionality, we'll start to see buttons again.

As for this device... It honestly looks way too big to be very useful as a portable gaming system, and I don't see any convincing third party efforts taking shape. And I really do hope "New Blood" isn't the actual name of the thing. It kinda looks like someone took a portable LCD and screwed it onto the top of an XBox controller.
#28Kamek85Posted 1/7/2013 1:39:21 AM
AppleJockRida posted...

At least you can bet that if they do introduce buttons, it will be revolutionary.
#29thedicemasterPosted 1/7/2013 2:06:52 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
It'll just catch fire when you turn it on.

It's not portable if you have to always keep it plugged in to power it.

More like the Novidia (lol twice the puns).

the battery lasts longer than that of the 3DS.
#30cadorPosted 1/7/2013 2:18:31 AM
jaytee979 posted...
>Mobile cell phone technology
>Nvidia

>Implying OP isn't already in self-combustion mode

Again though, it doesn't matter how much tech you throw at a console. Nintendo already proved they can make games. I mean...

Yeah I want a pet elephant. But who's gonna clean up the poop?

It's why I own a hamster.

But... none of these devices poop.
---
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy