Is Pokemon the most milked franchise in the history of gaming?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Pokemon the most milked franchise in the history of gaming?
3 years ago#141
Bancario51 posted...
Wouldnt the award really go to Square enix foracting like its some major announcement that something big and cool is coming and then it ends up they are just porting all their old stuff to the Ipad to sell to the mobile masses?

Now that I think about it, didn't they release Theatrhythm on iOS so they would make more off of DLC? They put less songs in the freemium version, so you had to pay about $100 to get them all.

Or something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers. I do remember that the 3DS version, while only available w/o two or so songs (OH NO!!!!) was less expensive to 100%
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
3 years ago#142
While Pokemon is milked quite a bit (seaweed? Seriously?) there is a difference between being milked and trying to capitalize on your success. The toys and all that are not milking it, because...

a. I believe the toys and such are intended to be sold to the anime fans, not the games
b. Name one successful franchise that didn't have it's face plastered onto as many things as they can think of. Superman, TMNT, Spongebob, nearly every popular children's franchise has had at least one thing to earn money off it besides the show.

The reason people say games like CoD and Madden are milking it is because they do barely anything to improve the game. Basically every game ever released for it just adds new maps/rosters, a graphical update, a weapon or two, a few gameplay tweaks, maybe a new feature, and that's it. In this day in age, they have their place as DLC. Activision and EA just choose to release it as a new game to charge more for it. Granted, when they first started, DLC was unheard of outside of PCs. But after a certain point the games just stopped being games and became DLC packages at retail game price.

In short: Pokemon is good milking, CoD is bad milking.
---
You can solve all problems by bombing them rapidly.
"You will not enjoy that shrimp with sauce while I'm around!"-Drake & Josh
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Pokemon the most milked franchise in the history of gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived