Where did it all come from?

#1EdwardDigitalPosted 1/9/2013 1:25:21 AM
Because this website lacks a gen chat (or I just don't know where to find it) I thought I'd post here because of all the heavy Pokemon XY traffic.

The following is not meant to troll, flame or start any problems. I'm just raising questions.

Where in the world did all the fanboyism and the need to defend a system of choice and bash someone else's come from? I was a kid in the early 90s when the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were the big home consoles. Maybe since I was a kid I was oblivious but I never remember any defamation or name calling like nintendrones or whatever back then. I never owned a console as a kid because my parents didnt believe having one in the home would be a good idea, but I did play at friends houses, and I enjoyed both the SNES and Genesis games just the same.

When the N64 and PS1 rolled around I started to notice a shift. In my experiences there were still those who preferred one over the other because of the media format the games were presented in. Some liked discs and others liked cartridges. Still I never heard any blatant mention of trolling or sony ponies or nintendrones. It was relatively civil.

Fast forward now and this person is calling the other one kiddie. That person is a graphics whore. That person over there is a FPS bro. What gives? What happened when we just played our games and had fun and didnt have to go out of our way to bash? We're all enjoying the same hobby so whats the reason for the defamation? Where did it all come from? If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all.
#2BuretsuPosted 1/9/2013 1:26:44 AM
Sega Genesis vs Super Nintendo.

"Sega does what Nintendon't"
"Sega is faster because it has Blast Processing"
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3LinkMaster2703Posted 1/9/2013 1:29:15 AM
It's always been like this, now we have the internet as a way of easily expressing it.
---
New England Patriots: 12-4
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke
#4Magikoopa21Posted 1/9/2013 1:30:09 AM
It came from the internet and forums. When you were a kid playing SNES and Genesis, how else would you be able to see hundreds of hate comments and arguments over video games? Sites like this one allow tons of people to give opinions, and there are always tons of haters of anything.
#5EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 1:41:59 AM
Buretsu posted...
Sega Genesis vs Super Nintendo.

"Sega does what Nintendon't"
"Sega is faster because it has Blast Processing"

I never heard that, but again maybe because I was a little kid then.
#6The_Pig_HostagePosted 1/9/2013 1:42:41 AM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
It's always been like this, now we have the internet as a way of easily expressing it.

This. The Internet allows people to argue and insult one another over petty reasons like never before.
#7aamotPosted 1/9/2013 1:56:26 AM(edited)
Because back in the 90s, we had video gaming magazines instead of forums, and editors who could decide which fan letters to print. With the internet, there is literally no filter anymore.

Back then you would have to actually write up a letter and mail it in to compete with others to get your voice heard. It was too much effort just for someone to whine about a game. Now, all you have to do is run your knuckles over a keyboard until you've listed every way in which a game wasn't perfect for you personally.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833
#8Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/9/2013 2:00:12 AM
LinkMaster2703 posted...

This. The Internet allows people to argue and insult one another over petty reasons like never before.

That.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8Ri7C.jpg - Viridi is best goddess.
#9ShadowRisaePosted 1/9/2013 3:39:25 AM
Eh... I've been using the internet since about 1995. And, trust me, there was a lot of console fanboyism that went on back then too. It went on largely in Usenet newsgroups. It went on in person more than that though. I definitely remember the debates in middle and high school during lunch time and such.

So it's not new. Far from it.
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.