Trying to keep this from becoming a rage topic. Battery issue

#1mumpsy21Posted 1/9/2013 5:44:34 AM
TLDR below.

Okay, I read that the 3DSXL should last half a day if you leave it on standby. So I left it for just 2 hours on standby, and it turned off. Thing is, it was on standby because I needed it for a certain gameplay thing with TWEWY. I was able to turn it back on so apparently it just did an auto shut down, which is stupid because either way, I'd lose those precious 2 hours. It's just that maybe if it didn't turn of automatically, I would have been able to save before it completely ran out of battery.

tl;dr how do I keep it from doing an auto shutdown in standby mode? This happened before but I didn't really care because I only lost progress now.

P.S. It still had a lot of battery, why would it lose so much power in standby mode? It's like it somehow sucks more power when I'm not playing.
---
Joy.
#2SpideymasterPosted 1/9/2013 6:12:51 AM
Are you referring to sleep mode, when the system is closed? Because it's supposed to last up to 3 days in sleep mode...
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#3rizsparkyPosted 1/9/2013 6:16:57 AM
Its not supposed to auto shutdown, your XL might be faulty
---
3DS FC: 4597-0164-7987
#4mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:21:40 AM
What? But I've been taking care of it like it was my copy of KH2FM+, which is basically motherly.

And are you serious about it lasting 3 days? How's that even possible? My phone doesn't last that long.
---
Joy.
#5IHeartMetroidPosted 1/9/2013 6:25:41 AM
Why didn't you just plug it in?
#6mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:45:37 AM
Because I feel like plugging it in while using it will drain the battery. That's what happened to my old laptop which had only 5 minutes of battery at full charge.
---
Joy.
#7IHeartMetroidPosted 1/9/2013 6:48:56 AM
mumpsy21 posted...
Because I feel like plugging it in while using it will drain the battery. That's what happened to my old laptop which had only 5 minutes of battery at full charge.

Your old laptop would have had a NiCad battery in it then, where discharge/recharge cycles cause a "memory effect". Modern Lithium Ion batteries don't have this problem. Plus, if the battery is fully charged it'll stop the charge/discharge cycle anyway and run directly off the mains.
#8PokeMasterPosted 1/9/2013 6:54:01 AM
Its much better for battery life in the long run to leave it plugged in.
Draining the battery or letting it die is much, much more harmful.

And yes, the 3DS can last up to 3 days in sleep mode.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#9mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:28:46 AM
Holy ****. I want a replacement, it's never survived for more than a few hours on sleep since I bought it last month.
---
Joy.
#10mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:34:14 AM
Thanks for the tip by the way, that laptop was pretty old, so it probably wasn't lithium ion.
---
Joy.