Maybe this happy topic about Sticker Star would be better posted here...

#1Swan3624Posted 1/9/2013 11:52:42 AM
Well I posted this on the Sticker Star board, but the first response is leading me to believe perhaps it's not the best place to post a positive topic about the game on. So here is the copypasta:

All I see on this board, sans a couple topics, is complaining left and right. That's fine, and everyone has their opinions, but does anyone else feel as I do, that this game is just amazing?

Before I got it, I heard the complaints from many people. Lack of story, lack of humorous dialogue, lack of fun, lack of direction, etc. etc.

After playing for 11 hours, according to my profile playtime, I have to respectfully disagree with these comments. I am finding myself laughing at most of the dialogue, the puzzles are ingenious, the story, while basic and thin, is still cute and thoughtful. Overall, I have to say I am having more fun with this game than I have with any game in a looooong time!

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Anyone else see Paper Mario: Sticker Star as a joyous and ultimately fun experience, with nary a complaint? :)
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2aamotPosted 1/9/2013 12:16:17 PM
Me. I'm loving this game. I'm having a lot more fun with this than I did with Paper Mario.

I think a big reason why people are upset with the lack of leveling-up is that they can't overlevel and 1-stomp foes anymore. Certainly not the only reason, but people hate when the option to powerlevel is taken away from them.

Unless you load up on Things stickers, sticker variety is a decent replacement system for badges. You can't do a Danger Mario run or anything, but instead of having +2 Hammer or +2 Jump damage badges, you just have shinier stickers which do more damage.

For all the haters out there saying this isn't a real Paper Mario RPG - they're right. It's not really an RPG. If they were expecting a very traditional RPG then I get why they're disappointed. But they had all the information before buying the game. It's a Paper Mario-themed adventure game, with "tactical battles."

And I love it.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833
#3r_m_8_8Posted 1/9/2013 12:46:44 PM
64 and TTYD are at the very least in my top 10 games ever. So are SPM and Sticker Star which is my GOTY 2012.
---
Now playing: Paper Mario SS, Castlevania OoE, Mark of the Ninja, SFxT.
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#4AnclationPosted 1/9/2013 12:53:03 PM
I'm 8-9 hours into it and overall I think it's a great game. It's really fun to play, the puzzles are very clever and imaginative, combat works well enough (new stickers rather than EXP being your reward) and the two end-of-world bosses I've fought so far made for excellent battles (and a lot more challenging than your standard Paper Mario fare). The game also features some of the coolest use of 3D I've seen so far in any game for the system.

There are certain issues, though. I do miss the partners and some of the RPG elements, not to mention the kind of story quality and cast of characters that the past 3 Paper Mario had on offer. The dialogue is funny, sure, but there's also a lot less of it compared to past games. I also think the saving blocks are really awkwardly handled, appearing too early in some levels, while other really time-consuming levels don't have saving blocks at all! At least you can usually exit any level relatively easily and automatically save your progress that way, but still, a handheld game in this day and age should handle saving better.

Despite those complaints I really am enjoying Sticker Star. It's not my favorite Paper Mario (in fact, it will probably end up my least favorite in the series), but it's still a really good game when judged on its own merits, and well worth checking out.
#5SuperMario1998Posted 1/9/2013 1:00:53 PM
Finished it. LOVED EVERY MINUTE.
---
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
#6BegingamePosted 1/9/2013 1:16:56 PM
No story is fine.
No partners is fine.
Not being TYD or 64 is fine.

The problem is with the game mechanics themselves.
(And the reason this is being posted here instead of the SS board is because the people there seem to understand these problems, where as the people on the main 3DS board defend this game being great and insist that people only hate it because it's different).

1) There is too big of a power difference between battle stickers and Thing stickers when it comes to bosses. It's okay to make bosses have weaknesses, but not to the point that it almost completely negates anything outside of infinijumps, especially when the game expects the player to have flung specific Things into stickers ahead of time. From there it becomes an issue of knowing when to use the specific thing stickers on top of already having them (i.e. the sponge right before the poison spit). Yes, you can get specific hints from Kersti about the boss...after you die. In fact, needing to fling Things into stickers in the first place ends up hindering the entire mechanic in the first place, as cute as the dev team may have thought it was. This might be alleviated a bit if the game treated Things as permanent objects you retained in your inventory that simply required "Thing Points" (TP) to use.

2) 50% of the Thing stickers don't get used outside of contributing them to the museum. By the time you have enough sticker pages to justify carrying around multiple giant Thing stickers, the game is almost over, at which point you have also been taught to be punished for using any Thing that isn't the "right" Thing.

3) Many segments of game progression are locked behind invisible blocks and narrow passages in the background of the screen. It's okay to hide extra, fun goodies and secrets to games. It's not okay to hide game progression behind those things. It's a puzzle to decipher hieroglyphics in a temple. It's not a puzzle to jump at a specific spot (and this is outside of the invis blocks that have flowers underneath them as a clue) or walk behind a random bush that otherwise looks flat, even with 3D on. Imagine if you couldn't clear the original Super Mario Bros without knowing where the invisible 1-Up mushroom was on stage 1-1.

4) There is no meaningful reward for combat; therefore, there is no reason to get into combat. Prior to world 4, the amount of coins you get for defeating an enemy is negligible, especially when stickers are so abundant that the only thing you need to use coins on is black market Things and secret doors. The one saving grace of game design in this aspect is that battles aren't forced.

The only real point where the game hit it's stride was World 4; specifically, the Enigmansion. The puzzles had context, (fire) battle stickers were on par with Things in boss combat, and progression flowed extremely well.

Anyway, just wanted to get this out there, regardless of whether or not you agree with any of the points brought up. It's okay to defend a game, but it's frustrating to see a game being defended over the wrong reasons.

And, again, none of these things are game-breaking, they are just poor game design choices that could have easily been alleviated by a few tweaks to gameplay.

Sticker Star felt like it was too afraid of being an RPG, but when it drifted towards being a point and click puzzle adventure game, it didn't drift far enough and the final result was some hybrid that didn't incorporate proper game mechanics from EITHER genre.
#7FAT____MANPosted 1/9/2013 1:20:46 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario-sticker-star/65136770

Hm. In this other thread someone said their opinion and you just quoted it to change it to a positive so you can agree with it?

So you just want people to agree with you huh?
#8Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 1:28:38 PM
FAT____MAN posted...

Hm. In this other thread someone said their opinion and you just quoted it to change it to a positive so you can agree with it?

Disagreeing is fine, but I would prefer only positive thoughts with my thread. It wasn't created to discuss the negatives of the game. It was created to discuss the positives.

I am fine with disagreement. As I stated in the OP, everyone has their own opinion. But the sole purpose of the topic was to add an air of positivity to the game that seems to be ever-so-lacking on that board. Call me a dictator or someone who can't accept someone else's opinion, but honestly that was the only reason for quoting them and making it a positive comment.

There are hundreds of topics out there to discuss the negatives of the game. I chose to make a topic that was in the minority, and wanted the positive comments to flourish in a safe environment, without the negativity.

So there you go.
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
#9FAT____MANPosted 1/9/2013 1:41:04 PM(edited)
Swan3624 posted...
FAT____MAN posted...

Disagreeing is fine, but I would prefer only positive thoughts with my thread. It wasn't created to discuss the negatives of the game. It was created to discuss the positives.

I am fine with disagreement. As I stated in the OP, everyone has their own opinion. But the sole purpose of the topic was to add an air of positivity to the game that seems to be ever-so-lacking on that board. Call me a dictator or someone who can't accept someone else's opinion, but honestly that was the only reason for quoting them and making it a positive comment.

There are hundreds of topics out there to discuss the negatives of the game. I chose to make a topic that was in the minority, and wanted the positive comments to flourish in a safe environment, without the negativity.

So there you go.

And you don't think that it's negative for no reason, you don't think people are maybe slightly peeved and disappointed?
You don't try to make a bad thing good by ignoring whats bad about it, that's not how ****ing things work. the HOPEFUL thing to do is reflect on the problems of a game and welcome changes and solutions to said problems. Definitely not ignore them and pretend they don't exist, especially when there's so much to go around.
#10Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 1:48:21 PM
FAT____MAN posted...
And you don't think that it's negative for no reason, you don't think people are maybe slightly peeved and disappointed?
You don't try to make a bad thing good by ignoring whats bad about it, that's not how ****ing things work. the HOPEFUL thing to do is reflect on the problems of a game and welcome changes and solutions to said problems. Definitely not ignore them and pretend they don't exist, especially when there's so much to go around.

Okay, so I think you're missing my point. I'm not ignoring the problems. I believe there to be no problems at all, actually. That's my opinion.

There is an infinite number of topics out there where you can freely discuss all the negatives people see in the game. That is perfectly fine. But for a change of pace, I thought it would be nice to make a topic where there is only positivity to go around.

I'm not ignoring the problems. I am just frustrated that even when I'm trying to make a topic of the minority, where we can discuss our enjoyment of the game, people still come in and post negativity.

That's all.. Sorry it comes off as being a communist.
---