Maybe this happy topic about Sticker Star would be better posted here...

#11aamotPosted 1/9/2013 3:20:43 PM(edited)
Many of the complaints I've read about the game being broken are handled if you just play the game. The Pokey boss (W2) tells you right away, at the beginning of the fight, "Batter up!" So I fled and returned with a baseball bat. I fought the giant Cheep Cheep a few times before realizing that it's not possible until later, so I fled and when I found a hook I knew where to take it.

I think a large number of these complaints are made up because they've been painting this game in a negative light to begin with. So it's less "This game isn't what I wanted it to be," and more "This game is broken and I'm justified in disliking it."

edit: And I've seen many people argue that there is no reason to get into combat. If you don't find combat enjoyable, why are you even playing this game? And the coins you earn at the end of a level directly correlates to how many enemies you've killed - even on reentering a level.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833
#12Mariofan15Posted 1/9/2013 3:24:14 PM
Many of the complaints I've read about the game being broken are handled if you just play the game. The Pokey boss (W2) tells you right away, at the beginning of the fight, "Batter up!" So I fled and returned with a baseball bat. I fought the giant Cheep Cheep a few times before realizing that it's not possible until later, so I fled and when I found a hook I knew where to take it.

I think a large number of these complaints are made up because they've been painting this game in a negative light to begin with. So it's less "This game isn't what I wanted it to be," and more "This game is broken and I'm justified in disliking it."

edit: And I've seen many people argue that there is no reason to get into combat. If you don't find combat enjoyable, why are you even playing this game? And the coins you earn at the end of a level directly correlates to how many enemies you've killed - even on reentering a level.

Because people have valid complaints,you think they're made up? Wake up,would you. The game itself is fine. But as a Paper Mario game,it sucks.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#13wiiking96Posted 1/9/2013 3:39:20 PM
Swan3624 posted...
I believe there to be no problems at all, actually. That's my opinion.

Aaaaannnnnddddddd you've just lost all credibility. You clearly are a massive fan boy of this game. That is a very irrational thing to believe.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#14Mariofan15Posted 1/9/2013 3:42:52 PM
Swan3624 posted...

Aaaaannnnnddddddd you've just lost all credibility. You clearly are a massive fan boy of this game. That is a very irrational thing to believe.

This. No game is flawless. Believing otherwise is pure stupidity.
---
#15BegingamePosted 1/9/2013 3:45:28 PM
aamot posted...
The Pokey boss (W2) tells you right away, at the beginning of the fight, "Batter up!" So I fled and returned with a baseball bat. I fought the giant Cheep Cheep a few times before realizing that it's not possible until later, so I fled and when I found a hook I knew where to take it.

Having to flee boss fights to go run to fling a specific thing is terrible game design. The challenge presented to the player should be to simply decipher the boss' weakness and use said weakness against it; the actual method for completing boss battles is incredibly cumbersome and poorly planned. This is made even worse by the fact that it isn't an optional weakness due to non-Thing battle stickers being incredibly unbalanced and underpowered compared to Thing stickers.

The simple fix would have been to make all Things usable by the player at any time and simply require TP (thing points) to use, which the player would earn by successfully pulling off multiple Excellents in combat, thus retaining the strategy of boss fights while at the same time bolstering an added layer of depth to the otherwise fruitless combat system.
#16Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 3:59:49 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Swan3624 posted...

Allow me to rephrase for people so quick to jump the gun:

There may be problems in the game, but they don't bother me enough for me to consider them problems. It's just how I look at games and movies. I recognize the weaknesses that others lambast the item of media for, but sometimes they just don't bother me enough for me to call them out.

In the case of Sticker Star, some people state there is no story. There is one, but it is rather thin... however, as thin as it is, I enjoy it.

There are difficulty spikes when it comes to the bosses: Okay, they are difficult when you don't know what to do, but so far it has been very easy to decipher what "Thing" you're supposed to use on the bosses to defeat them quickly.

No new characters: All right, valid point. But I am playing Paper Mario for Mario. So this doesn't bother me.

The world map is stupid and the connected feeling of the past Paper Mario games was definitely better: Opinion. I rather like the world map. I think it makes it easier to keep track of where I have been, where to go, etc. etc. I think the bite-size nature of the game adds to its addictiveness.

The puzzles are not ingenious and, rather, they are terribly-designed: Perhaps "ingenious" is an exaggeration, but even if they're too cryptic, or perhaps not even close to being headscratchers, there is an undoubted feeling of immense satisfaction when I complete them. So ingenious may not have been the best term. Personally, I find the puzzles to be satisfying, even if some are a little easy, and some a little cryptic.

Lack of leveling-up: Valid point for people looking for a true RPG. I was not, however, so I don't mind this at all.

The story sucks/there is no story: I'll admit, as I have already, that the story is thin. Thin as paper, some would say... oh ho ho ho. But seriously, it is thin, but there is a small story there. And the small story that is there is charming enough, in a Mario sense (a series that was never developed around strong stories), so I have no qualms with it.

...what else is there? I'm sure this is enough to showcase my point: Opinions are opinions. It all depends on how you viewed the game beforehand, how you viewed it while playing, and how you view it outside of playing. To me, my expectations were continually pummeled until I finally pulled the trigger on it. I knew not to expect a pure RPG, or a worthy successor to Thousand Year Door. I knew it would lack some of the staples of the franchise.

Naturally, the low expectations ultimately aided in my overall enjoyment of the game.

Am I a fanboy? Sure, why not? Is that such a bad thing, to enjoy a game immensely and hold it in high regard, even if some view it as stupid? I don't think that's such a bad thing, but I could understand why it's such a nasty term for some. It apparently denotes a person who can't think for themselves, and automatically showers praise on a game without ever actually playing it. That doesn't describe the nature of myself, but you can believe that if you want. I have all valid reasons to adore this game, as you have valid reasons to show distaste towards it.

But regardless... this was a topic meant for positivity, so can we please continue with this goal? Even if you despise the game, just give a nice comment on how the art style is cute. If the story sucks, okay, that's fine... explain how it could be better!
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#17KingJaggiPosted 1/9/2013 4:06:04 PM
Swan3624 posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Swan3624 posted...

Allow me to rephrase for people so quick to jump the gun:

There may be problems in the game, but they don't bother me enough for me to consider them problems. It's just how I look at games and movies. I recognize the weaknesses that others lambast the item of media for, but sometimes they just don't bother me enough for me to call them out.

In the case of Sticker Star, some people state there is no story. There is one, but it is rather thin... however, as thin as it is, I enjoy it.

There are difficulty spikes when it comes to the bosses: Okay, they are difficult when you don't know what to do, but so far it has been very easy to decipher what "Thing" you're supposed to use on the bosses to defeat them quickly.

No new characters: All right, valid point. But I am playing Paper Mario for Mario. So this doesn't bother me.

The world map is stupid and the connected feeling of the past Paper Mario games was definitely better: Opinion. I rather like the world map. I think it makes it easier to keep track of where I have been, where to go, etc. etc. I think the bite-size nature of the game adds to its addictiveness.

The puzzles are not ingenious and, rather, they are terribly-designed: Perhaps "ingenious" is an exaggeration, but even if they're too cryptic, or perhaps not even close to being headscratchers, there is an undoubted feeling of immense satisfaction when I complete them. So ingenious may not have been the best term. Personally, I find the puzzles to be satisfying, even if some are a little easy, and some a little cryptic.

Lack of leveling-up: Valid point for people looking for a true RPG. I was not, however, so I don't mind this at all.

The story sucks/there is no story: I'll admit, as I have already, that the story is thin. Thin as paper, some would say... oh ho ho ho. But seriously, it is thin, but there is a small story there. And the small story that is there is charming enough, in a Mario sense (a series that was never developed around strong stories), so I have no qualms with it.

...what else is there? I'm sure this is enough to showcase my point: Opinions are opinions. It all depends on how you viewed the game beforehand, how you viewed it while playing, and how you view it outside of playing. To me, my expectations were continually pummeled until I finally pulled the trigger on it. I knew not to expect a pure RPG, or a worthy successor to Thousand Year Door. I knew it would lack some of the staples of the franchise.

Naturally, the low expectations ultimately aided in my overall enjoyment of the game.

Am I a fanboy? Sure, why not? Is that such a bad thing, to enjoy a game immensely and hold it in high regard, even if some view it as stupid? I don't think that's such a bad thing, but I could understand why it's such a nasty term for some. It apparently denotes a person who can't think for themselves, and automatically showers praise on a game without ever actually playing it. That doesn't describe the nature of myself, but you can believe that if you want. I have all valid reasons to adore this game, as you have valid reasons to show distaste towards it.

But regardless... this was a topic meant for positivity, so can we please continue with this goal? Even if you despise the game, just give a nice comment on how the art style is cute. If the story sucks, okay, that's fine... explain how it could be better!

That was amazing.
---
Psn:KingJaggi 3DS Fc:1590-5213-0522
I LOVE MONSTER HUNTER!!
#18Mariofan15Posted 1/9/2013 4:10:27 PM
It's only a bad thing if you think the game is flawless which you do. If you like the game,then fine. But dont be acting like it's flawless when it doesnt even come close. Sticker Star has problems and you need to acknowledge that instead of ignoring them like a blind fanboy.
---
#19Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 4:19:13 PM
I really don't have to respond any further to these accusations.

You want me to tell you what I think are legitimately perfect games, with no flaws at all?

Okami
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Country

Oh yes, and I am a very proud fanboy of every single one of them.
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#20KingJaggiPosted 1/9/2013 4:19:17 PM
Mariofan15 posted...
It's only a bad thing if you think the game is flawless which you do. If you like the game,then fine. But dont be acting like it's flawless when it doesnt even come close. Sticker Star has problems and you need to acknowledge that instead of ignoring them like a blind fanboy.

But he did.
---
Psn:KingJaggi 3DS Fc:1590-5213-0522
I LOVE MONSTER HUNTER!!