Pokemon X and Y proves how lazy Nintendo is getting.

#31Robot_SoopaPosted 1/10/2013 2:35:44 AM
Cel-shading is preferable to any kind of 3D modeling.

Cel-shading doesn't age and actually has a personality.

Sprites > Hand Drawn 2D > Cel-Shading > 3D Model
#32Lost_Seraph09Posted 1/10/2013 2:42:37 AM
Look at Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDuGQnmoPOQ

The graphics in that game look like Wii graphics. Gamefreak just chose cell shading because it fits better with the pokemon artstyle.
#33IHeartMetroidPosted 1/10/2013 2:44:53 AM
3D_Shado posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9fTIeiRaw

3rd-party RPG, graphics are GameCube-level and look really nice from the art style too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNr6wQfNfK4

1st-party RPG, graphics look nearly DS-level in the field and ugly art style due to that outdated cel-shading they're trying to pull off.

Being completely honest, and knowing what the 3DS is capable of handling? BOTH those trailers look like complete garbage to me. The graphics on either game could have easily been done on the original DS.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't judge a game based on graphics alone, though. I'm sure these are both good, solid entries in their respective series.

They just look awful, that's all.
#34MettanAtemPosted 1/10/2013 2:46:45 AM
If they don't focus on making the graphics look OMGSUPERREALISTIC, then they have more time to make the gameplay awesome. You know, the stuff that ACTUALLY matters?
#35IHeartMetroidPosted 1/10/2013 2:48:48 AM
MettanAtem posted...
If they don't focus on making the graphics look OMGSUPERREALISTIC, then they have more time to make the gameplay awesome. You know, the stuff that ACTUALLY matters?

This is a lie.

Having good graphics and having good gameplay are not mutually exclusive.
#36Shuo_RagnarokPosted 1/10/2013 2:52:21 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
MettanAtem posted...

This is a lie.

Having good graphics and having good gameplay are not mutually exclusive.

Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 13 put that argument into the ground.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:4084-3346-5023
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114
#37IHeartMetroidPosted 1/10/2013 2:55:30 AM
"Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 13 put that argument into the ground."

Exactly. Xenoblade was without a doubt the most gorgeous game on the Wii, with spectacular models, incredible art direction, incomparable Vistas and a sense of style that was unmatched on almost any of that generations consoles- not the PS2, GameCube or XBox. It proves without a doubt that you can have good graphics AND excellent gameplay without having to "settle".
#38Shuo_RagnarokPosted 1/10/2013 3:02:53 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 13 put that argument into the ground."

Exactly. Xenoblade was without a doubt the most gorgeous game on the Wii, with spectacular models, incredible art direction, incomparable Vistas and a sense of style that was unmatched on almost any of that generations consoles- not the PS2, GameCube or XBox. It proves without a doubt that you can have good graphics AND excellent gameplay without having to "settle".

You're missing the point here. Xenoblade's graphics falter compared to games like Final Fantasy 13. Xenoblade had very little detail in its graphics, with character models looking muddy and flat, and if you looked closely at the landscapes, things like plants and grass were actually 2D sprites. It made up for this in its grand scale, with extremely large landscapes that were fully explorable. Final Fantasy 13, in this example, had much more detail in both its landscapes and character models, and was essentially more advanced in its graphics compared to Xenoblade. It's gameplay though, fell short as a whole, and exploration was almost nonexistant save for one or two areas. Both games were released on consoles existing in the same generation, and at least in my eyes, are some of the better examples of the gameplay/graphics comparison.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:4084-3346-5023
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114
#39CronoDynePosted 1/10/2013 3:03:42 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
3D_Shado posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9fTIeiRaw

3rd-party RPG, graphics are GameCube-level and look really nice from the art style too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNr6wQfNfK4

1st-party RPG, graphics look nearly DS-level in the field and ugly art style due to that outdated cel-shading they're trying to pull off.

Being completely honest, and knowing what the 3DS is capable of handling? BOTH those trailers look like complete garbage to me. The graphics on either game could have easily been done on the original DS.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't judge a game based on graphics alone, though. I'm sure these are both good, solid entries in their respective series.

They just look awful, that's all.

Please. DQ7 3DS looks absolutely beautiful, with smooth detailed 3D character models and environments. It looks like a Gamecube game.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#40IHeartMetroidPosted 1/10/2013 3:14:15 AM
You're missing the point here. Xenoblade's graphics falter compared to games like Final Fantasy 13. Xenoblade had very little detail in its graphics, with character models looking muddy and flat, and if you looked closely at the landscapes, things like plants and grass were actually 2D sprites.

Bullcrap.

The only "faltering" was the fact that it was put onto the Wii. When... certain methods... were used to put the game into proper HD, it looks absolutely stunning. I mean, seriously and positively amazing. The game was literally designed with high definition utilization in mind, but was scaled back AFTER in order to fit into the Wii.

I just absolutely LOVE IT when people like that guy try to spew about things they absolutely have no clue about- if you notice how he mentioned the grass? It's because he GOOGLED about XenoBlade graphics and came up with a silly forum discussion about the grass in and quickly penciled it in in an effort to come up with some form of argument.

Guess what? Flat texturing is EVERYWHERE- even in HD consoles.

I will state again- you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Furthermore, FF13 is one of the worst examples you can pick because the graphics had absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay design choice. It was the director's decision from the very start to put a linear focus on this title in order to appeal to more action-oriented players- NOT because of either system limitations or time development constraints. So using FF13 as a basis for your argument is just a strawman that doesn't hold any water whatsoever.

"Please. DQ7 3DS looks absolutely beautiful, "

No, it looks abysmal, easily one of the worst looking 3DS titles I've ever seen.