Pokemon X and Y proves how lazy Nintendo is getting.

#813D_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 12:42:15 PM
shampoowarrior posted...
DeathSnipe777 posted...
So if worse comes to worse, the graphics seen in that trailer might be the ones to expect... Because the game just might be too big for a 3DS cartridge.

I don't think that's true. 3DS cartridges can go up to 8 GB. For comparison, big games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas take up about 9.5 GB on PC. This is a cel-shaded Pokemon game that isn't even at the standard 480p resolution, let alone HD resolution. There is no way this game will take up more than 8 GB even if they drastically improve it like the implied they will with that disclaimer in the trailer.

My question is, how many models does Fallout have? If they take up 9.5 GB with maybe 20 unique models, that a different thing entirely to a game with over 700 unique models. That's my thought process at least. Would be interested to hear someone who is actually knowledgable comment on what the game's size might look like.

Well I know a little bit. Enough to know that models really don't take up much space relative to other things. Basically look at it this way: a model is just a set of points and edges, right? If you have each point taking up 24 bytes (being generous, X Y and Z coordinates are each 8-byte doubles), plus say, 8 bytes for each edge, a connected set of 30,000 triangles would be:

30,000 * 2 (on average, 4 vertices can make 2 triangles) * 24 = 1,440,000
+ 8 * 180,000 (say, there are 60000 vertices and each one is of degree 3) = 2,888,000.

Coincidentally, vertices and edges take up the same exact amount of data in my example. That said, this example is incredibly ridiculous and silly - 30,000 triangles is an absurd count even for a PC/360/PS3 game, let alone a GameCube-level game. And still, the overall size is 2.88 MB. You could fit over 1000 of these on a 3DS cart easily. In practice, I suspect a single Pokemon 3DS model has a few hundred polygons at most and is probably under 1000 KB.

Even if we consider the models and data that comes with them (textures, animations, voices), fitting 700 Pokemon into 8 GB is a breeze. Most of the bulk in games is from the world objects, level structures, music, area textures, lightmaps and so forth. They could definitely increase the quality of those field graphics quite a bit without worrying about space.
#82strongo9Posted 1/10/2013 1:07:06 PM
longlivemegaman posted...
Does anybody realize that there will be hundreds (probably thousands) of 3D models to make for Pokemon X&Y?

Not to mention the animations for the attacks and the actual Pokemon themselves have to be applied for all of them as well... Plus the footage they used for the launch trailer wasn't even the final product.

This doesn't even include the fact that the overworld and almost everything else is 3D models... Music files sometimes get pretty big too.

So if worse comes to worse, the graphics seen in that trailer might be the ones to expect... Because the game just might be too big for a 3DS cartridge.

P.S. Games like Wind Waker and Okami get PRAISED for cel-shaded graphics.

Do you know how many developers accomplish doing that amount of work? Why does Pokemon get a pass on being lazy? The Dragon Quest games on the DS and 3DS do just that and are better games in the end.
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#83deimos91Posted 1/10/2013 1:24:44 PM
HeroicSomaCruz posted...
First, Dragon Quest sucks.

Secondly, Pokemon X and Y look amazing.

First your opionion suck

second thats all
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#84LinkMaster2703Posted 1/10/2013 1:32:00 PM
I can't believe this is the best topic trolls can come up with. "Lol, look at the graphics." For real? Obviously it will look better on a 3DS screen and they have months to polish visuals.

/topic
---
New England Patriots: 12-4
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke
#85AhnoldDoodPosted 1/10/2013 1:34:12 PM
strongo9 posted...
Do you know how many developers accomplish doing that amount of work? Why does Pokemon get a pass on being lazy? The Dragon Quest games on the DS and 3DS do just that and are better games in the end.

ITP: Graphics = better game. Grow up, child.
#863D_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 1:35:40 PM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
I can't believe this is the best topic trolls can come up with. "Lol, look at the graphics." For real? Obviously it will look better on a 3DS screen and they have months to polish visuals.

/topic

> "Wah I don't like the topic you made, stop trolling meh!"

Why would I make a huge post about the file size of 3D models if I was just a troll? (Other than boredom)
#87SagadegoPosted 1/10/2013 1:38:23 PM
3D_Shado posted...
LinkMaster2703 posted...

/topic

> "Wah I don't like the topic you made, stop trolling meh!"

Why would I make a huge post about the file size of 3D models if I was just a troll? (Other than boredom)

conserding you troll the wii boards by calling it Pii U, yeah you are.
---
Why did Nintendo rip off digimon? demondog666
#88strongo9Posted 1/10/2013 1:44:26 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
Curryfiend posted...
I don't get why the graphics for Pokemon X Y are so bad when they already have 3D models of every single Pokemon in the Pokedex 3D apps

Err these models look better then the pokedex 3D ones.

No they don't. The Pokedex 3D models are way better.
---
#89strongo9Posted 1/10/2013 1:45:33 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
strongo9 posted...

ITP: Graphics = better game. Grow up, child.

I never said that. I was replying to the one user who said making an actual 3D Pokemon game would be too difficult.
---
#90esoteric42Posted 1/10/2013 1:46:32 PM
No one can touch the awesomeness that is DQVII

It's not even a fair fight
---
3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141