Is the Fire Emblem series kind to casuals?

#1Swan3624Posted 1/10/2013 2:46:32 PM
I like to consider myself a hardcore gamer that has a casual mindset. I play tons of games, but I play them for fun, not for competition or anything.

I used to love Advance Wars, but somewhere down the line I fell out of love with it. I think it was Days of Ruin that did it for me. For some reason, that game wasn't very fun to me.

But I was wondering, with the impending release of Fire Emblem: Awakening, if the Fire Emblem games are difficult for people that don't have much experience with tactical games? Do they have tutorials or teach you strategies or anything?

The problem with my mindset is that when I find a way to victory, I can never stray myself away from that path. Let's use Uncharted: Fight for Fortune as an example. I found a tactic that works, and I used it and used it and used it, but eventually it failed me... and I gave up on the game after that. I don't know why my mind is so insistent on maintaining the same path of thought... but that's how it is :(

So for someone like me, would I find enjoyment in Fire Emblem? I heard there was permanent death in the games, and that's why I haven't fired up the GBA one for Ambassadors yet. Truthfully, I'm scared. I'm very much a checkpoint-loader when it comes to failure (Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one such example), so hearing that there are permanent consequences for mistakes in Fire Emblem, simply scared me off.

Why would I be interested in the new Fire Emblem if I'm scared of the permanent death feature? Well, because I heard that there is a new casual option where your dead allies will be revived at the end of the battle! So this renewed my interest in the game. It also looks like a very well-polished and interesting game, to say the least.

So is the Fire Emblem series difficult?
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2NewbieN00bPosted 1/10/2013 2:49:39 PM(edited)
Easy mode + turning off permadeath should be fine.

You can even grind in this game if you need to. I don't see anyone really having trouble with this.

I wouldn't say the series is as a whole, but this one should be fine for you.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#3Nate_DihldorffPosted 1/10/2013 2:52:05 PM
Permadeath is a staple of the series.

Except for Awakening.
---
Random GameFAQs user in regards to a used game: "No tutorial since its from GameStop."
#4MegaSlimePosted 1/10/2013 2:55:24 PM
I never really found Fire Emblem difficult. I also hated to let any of my characters die so I just always end up restarting if someone does. You've played Advance Wars before, this should be no problem.
---
"Why is it whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean 'kiss my ass'?"-Ashley, Mass Effect
High School Relationships: 99.9% Failure
#5LeaderRElliotPosted 1/10/2013 2:57:26 PM(edited)
The series as themselves punish players for silly mistakes as misplacements of units or just not having a certain item at a certain time but there is always some ways to get around these situations.

As most recents FE have appeared they have got more casual friendly each time, which leds to the inclusion of Casual mode where units dont permanently die (If you dont like this you can always pick Classic mode) and after that there is the pick of difficulty settings normal, hard, lunatic, and lunatic+... the first 2 seem most apropiate for casual plays while the latter two can be rated as hell for a few players.

FE Fans as myself say that you should at least give a try to the one that is an ambassador game and to a higher extent th most recent installment of the series which without a doubt can easily appeal to all kinds of players.
#6Hiro11Posted 1/10/2013 2:57:45 PM
Swan3624 posted...
So for someone like me, would I find enjoyment in Fire Emblem? I heard there was permanent death in the games, and that's why I haven't fired up the GBA one for Ambassadors yet. Truthfully, I'm scared.

Why would I be interested in the new Fire Emblem if I'm scared of the permanent death feature? Well, because I heard that there is a new casual option where your dead allies will be revived at the end of the battle! So this renewed my interest in the game. It also looks like a very well-polished and interesting game, to say the least.

So is the Fire Emblem series difficult?

Just playing Casual mode will be the option for you. The game will get challenging but you won't lose your units permanently since you'll be in Casual mode. So don't worry about the difficulty. Only in the Lunatic/Insane and Lunatic +/Insane + Modes, you will die a lot even if you play on Casual.
---
3DS FC: 1332-8590-7851
#7NewbieN00bPosted 1/10/2013 3:01:21 PM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...
Permadeath is a staple of the series.

Except for Awakening.

Awakening isn't the first game to turn off permadeath, New Mystery is. Same thing with the creatable character. Too bad New Mystery was japan only.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#8siberian142Posted 1/10/2013 3:14:31 PM
If a character dies, reload the mission. If you miss a recruitable character or an optional objective, reload the mission. The permanent death feature is meant to make you suffer consequences for bad strategy, but that's nothing a reload won't fix.

The ones I've played (Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn) haven't been all that difficult. Some battles can be tough, but it's mostly just taking advantage of an enemies weakness by using certain weapons or units with the occasional special mission, such as rescuing neutral units, and watching your health and the move speed of units that may be strong against you.

There's no reason to be afraid of this series. For me, Fire Emblem is one of the games I most look forward to and, while I am competent at most strategy games, my tactics often involve taking the OP character the game often gives you and beating things with it. While this works early game, it often falls off later game, but you can make other OP units to kill things with again eventually.
#9lepeosPosted 1/10/2013 3:23:05 PM
Don't worry too much about characters dying first time around, just fire up Sacred Stones if you have it on Ambassador. The less you read into it the better. I knew nothing of perm-death or 'Jeigans' the first time I played and I'm hooked on the games. Just play it at your own pace, don't let some over-zealous fans ruin it for you by telling you what you should and shouldn't do from your very first turn.
---
@lepeos
Pokemon White 2 FC : 2624 0583 6539
#10Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 4:25:00 PM
All right, this quells my fears somewhat. Thank you very much for the help, everyone! :D
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624