How is it playing DS games on a 3DS?

#1alangstPosted 1/10/2013 5:40:48 PM
So basically, I'm starting to drool about a 3ds these days, and I'm thinking about trading my DSlite (not sure if its worth anything) in when I do.

However, I have a lot of really nice unplayed DS games (some that I forgot I had), like Windwaker, DQ9, Chinatown Wars, FF3 etc.. that eventually I would like to play.

How do the games play on 3ds? Are they stretched? or contain black bars on the screen? Does the 3ds XL make them look even worse?

Is there any improvements in the gameplay? (I know some psp games can be better on vita due to button remapping).

Thanks for any help and or suggestions.
---
PSN: Walkerlang
Xbox Live: Walker
#2SyntaxBananaZPosted 1/10/2013 5:58:03 PM
Since the resolution is bigger than the DS, yes, it's stretched. But I don't think it's that bad. You can also play it at its native resolution, which means you'll playing it without any stretching, but it'll be smaller than if you were playing on a DS.

And don't expect the circle pad to make any game have magical control stick movements, it's basically just another d-pad.
---
Tumblr: www.syntaxbananaz.tumblr.com
Ponysquare: http://ponysquare.com/SyntaxBananaZ
#3cci56Posted 1/10/2013 6:09:06 PM
SyntaxBananaZ posted...
Since the resolution is bigger than the DS, yes, it's stretched. But I don't think it's that bad. You can also play it at its native resolution, which means you'll playing it without any stretching, but it'll be smaller than if you were playing on a DS.

And don't expect the circle pad to make any game have magical control stick movements, it's basically just another d-pad.

wait theres a way you can play at the native resolution for ds games? i just looked in settings and didnt find anything
---
PSN: chocolatethundr5 XBL: chocolatethund5
FC:1332-8303-7699
#4GiratinalgaPosted 1/10/2013 6:09:16 PM
Lies. Kingdom Hearts games are heaven with the stick.
---
PSN: julito427 (Hellsing) Currently playing: SSFIV AE, BB:CS2, Pokemon Black, MvC3
SSFIV: Oni, Cody, Yun
#5alangst(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 6:21:09 PM
And since were on the DS topic, does anyone have any idea the trade-in value for a DS lite at GS or anywhere else.....looks like they're going for around 35-40 on ebay.
---
PSN: Walkerlang
Xbox Live: Walker
#6SyntaxBananaZPosted 1/10/2013 6:38:52 PM
cci56 posted...
SyntaxBananaZ posted...

wait theres a way you can play at the native resolution for ds games? i just looked in settings and didnt find anything

Hold down Start or Select while choosing to play your DS game on the 3DS menu.
---
Tumblr: www.syntaxbananaz.tumblr.com
Ponysquare: http://ponysquare.com/SyntaxBananaZ
#7BrianCraigSmithPosted 1/10/2013 6:41:56 PM
Depends on the game. Some look a little blurry (The World Ends With You), some look the same (Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing), and some look better (Sprung) when you don't change the resolution to the native DS size. You do that buy holding down Start and Select simultaneously right after you start the game. You do that, it looks just as smoothly as it did on the DS.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
3DS: 1263-5501-9059
#8ZetshiroPosted 1/10/2013 6:45:53 PM
The image is slightly stretched, and there are black bars on the top screen (to match the DS's aspect ratio). Most of the time it looks better to me, but for fine details (like pixel fonts) it can look a little off.

I did a comparison a few weeks back, the top is a 3DS original, and the bottom is a DSLite.

i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Zetshiro/RF3DSLite.jpg
#9Zechs23Posted 1/10/2013 6:53:20 PM
SyntaxBananaZ posted...
cci56 posted...
SyntaxBananaZ posted...

Hold down Start or Select while choosing to play your DS game on the 3DS menu.
#10Fr33zPosted 1/10/2013 7:58:39 PM
I should add that when you play it in Native Resolution on the XL its actually a tiny bit bigger than the actual DS Lite screen so its actually very good. Its playing it on the regular 3DS where the game gets really tiny.
---
NNID: Illuminatis