Getting a 3DS soon, games to get?

#1mechatacPosted 1/11/2013 3:27:50 PM
With Pokemon's announcement, well that's a system seller for me. So fairly soon, I plan to get a 3DS! Few questions:

1) regular or XL? I'm tempted towards XL with that large screen and the red system color option (my GBASP, PSP, and DS are all red, I like the color)
2) how are the following games in specific:

Adventure Time
Paper Mario (is it like the N64 and/or GCN Paper Marios or like the Wii's Super Paper Mario?)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (999's spiritual successor, right? Is it as awesome? Also, is it better on 3DS or Vita, or about the same?)

3) What other games would you suggest? I don't have as much time for long RPGs (except for franchises I already love, like Pokemon and Mario RPGs), but something I can beat in a weekend would be awesome. Any eshop games can be recommended too if they are as awesome a time waster as Wario Ware or Meteos is.

4) I don't need/want the following games:
Ocarina of Time, I have the GCN version, and even a possibly good water dungeon still isn't quite enough to make me buy it again yet. Maybe if it's cheaper some day. For now though, I just don't have to time to revisit the game.
Any Mario game that isn't Kart or RPG
---
Curling. Best Sport. Ever.
#2Retroxgamer0Posted 1/11/2013 3:32:11 PM
animal crossing, and pokemon x
#3abbyhitterPosted 1/11/2013 3:36:30 PM
- LoZ: OoT 3D
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Tales of the Abyss
- Paper Mario Sticker Star
- Kingdom Hearts 3D

Get everything on this list. Run! Now!
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#4yankee6903Posted 1/11/2013 3:37:56 PM
mechatac posted...
With Pokemon's announcement, well that's a system seller for me. So fairly soon, I plan to get a 3DS! Few questions:

1) regular or XL? I'm tempted towards XL with that large screen and the red system color option (my GBASP, PSP, and DS are all red, I like the color)

Adventure Time
Paper Mario (is it like the N64 and/or GCN Paper Marios or like the Wii's Super Paper Mario?)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (999's spiritual successor, right? Is it as awesome? Also, is it better on 3DS or Vita, or about the same?)

3) What other games would you suggest? I don't have as much time for long RPGs (except for franchises I already love, like Pokemon and Mario RPGs), but something I can beat in a weekend would be awesome. Any eshop games can be recommended too if they are as awesome a time waster as Wario Ware or Meteos is.

4) I don't need/want the following games:
Ocarina of Time, I have the GCN version, and even a possibly good water dungeon still isn't quite enough to make me buy it again yet. Maybe if it's cheaper some day. For now though, I just don't have to time to revisit the game.
Any Mario game that isn't Kart or RPG

1. I would go with the blue XL MK7 bundle. I like the bigger screens and the stylus on the right.

2. VLR rocks but you really SHOULD play 999 first. Helps the story, cheap, and an amazing game. In regards to Vita vs 3DS, the VIta has better graphics but the 3DS has better pinpoint control with the stylus. I did hear somewhere there is a gamebreaking glitch on the 3DS though.

3. Resident Evil Revelations, Etrian Odyssey 1-4, Fire Emblem seems popular, Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief, and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

4. Not a Mario Fan

ENJOY
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#5mechatac(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:45:16 PM(edited)
I've played 999, loved it! Just want to know if VLR is just as awesome!

I don't know why, but Mario's platforming games don't seem to click with me. I don't hate them, but I'm not going out of my way to buy them either. All the random spin off games though? Be it carts, pills, fighting, or RPGing, I love them! Not Mario Party though, my one friend compared it to drinking, it seems like a good idea until you actually start doing it.

Wait, so the stylus is only on the right for the blue XL, but not the red one?

Rhythm Thief looks interesting!

I already have Tales of the Abyss on PS2 (I knew I forgot to mention something!), no plans to purchase it again, I really don't have the time to play it no matter how many extras it has.

I stopped with the Kingdom Hearts franchise after 2 doused my expectations in gasoline and lit it on fire. I keep considering getting back in, then look at wiki entries about the series and my head almost explodes. Think I'll pass, honestly.
---
#6Makeveli_livesPosted 1/11/2013 3:45:01 PM

There's a red bundle out, but it comes with Mario 3D Land installed, which you don't want.
There's a blue XL bundle out, which is the color you don't want, but it comes with Mario Kart 7 installed at no added cost.

Adventure Time

Paper Mario is nothing like the previous ones. Whether or not that's good or bad is completely up to you.
Zero Escape is awesome.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#7mechatac(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:47:51 PM
It looks like there are non-bundle version of the red XL. I do enjoy Mario Kart though, I thought DS was the best one that I've played so far. Does 7 have the rubber band AI that caused Wii to feel like a slot machine? Or is it like the DS one.
---
#8pbandjamesPosted 1/11/2013 3:48:25 PM
mechatac posted...
I've played 999, loved it! Just want to know if VLR is just as awesome!

People can recommend you other games. I just came to say that VLR is even better than 999, imo.

VLR has VA, which brings the characters to life. The plot is even better. The interesting things you learn are even cooler. The puzzles are better, and there's extra puzzle files if you want a challenge. There's an actual time flowchart, and it works so much better than 999's branching paths. The characters are pretty much on par with how they good they were in 999, maybe even a bit better in some ways.

VLR is sooooooo good. I think you'll love it. I did.
---
Game news is the best news.
#9yankee6903Posted 1/11/2013 3:49:37 PM
mechatac posted...
Wait, so the stylus is only on the right for the blue XL, but not the red one?

Rhythm Thief looks interesting!

The stylus is on the left on the reg 3DS, on the right for 3DS

Rhythm thief is great. There is also a demo to try.
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative