Are people's complaints of Paper Mario: Sticker Star justified?

#1wiiking96Posted 1/11/2013 9:06:11 PM
*topic title* - Results (130 votes)
Yes, completely.
23.08% (30 votes)
Yes, for the most part.
24.62% (32 votes)
Kinda.
24.62% (32 votes)
Sorta no.
6.92% (9 votes)
No, mostly not so.
13.08% (17 votes)
No, not at all.
7.69% (10 votes)
This poll is now closed.
This board is quite active, so I think I can get a good vote sampling.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2BuretsuPosted 1/11/2013 9:07:39 PM
For the most part, their complaints are valid. Doesn't mean the game's not fun in it's own right, but especially for people expecting a return to classic Paper Mario, it's a disappointment.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3SMASHKING84Posted 1/11/2013 9:11:13 PM
Buretsu posted...
For the most part, their complaints are valid. Doesn't mean the game's not fun in it's own right, but especially for people expecting a return to classic Paper Mario, it's a disappointment.

for the most part we don't hate the game i do but people like tc don't
i wish the defenders would stop acting like there victims when they keep spewing utter bull s*** about wanting ttyd clones.

again if that were the case NOBODY would like pm 64 more then ttyd.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 [OU rules player] Rosa:4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me.
#4Nickcool1996Posted 1/11/2013 9:12:41 PM
You'll get bored after Chapter 3.

The game is fine, but it needed some sort of form of progression...like leveling up or learning skills.

This is coming from a guy who never played a Paper Mario game before this one, so don't mind me.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg
#5ZanimarPosted 1/11/2013 9:16:52 PM
I enjoyed the game, my only complaint is that it felt like they copy/pasted NSMB and just made it work and look like a Paper Mario game with bit of story thrown in. To me it really just felt more like I was playing and rpgized version of NSMB. One thing I do love was the final boss sequence. That whole section was very awesome and the that one song is super epic. :)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx4HYOunLc&feature=plcp
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971
#6SMASHKING84Posted 1/11/2013 9:25:00 PM
the sad thing is nsmb is more enjoyable then sticker star,well to me at least.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 [OU rules player] Rosa:4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me.
#7Mario maniacPosted 1/11/2013 9:48:01 PM
The characterisation has changed a lot, which is what weirded me out the most. Peach isn't playable in any segments so she's back to being hopeless; Bowser doesn't even talk (and his personality was something that shaped the series); Kammy has been replaced by Kamek; and the lack of diverse characters is kinda disappointing.

Otherwise the inclusion of characters like Birdo and Petey Piranha were pretty awesome. But yeah, I'm fine with how the gameplay's changed -- it's not the first time the series has tried something new -- but if you're sticking to a particular series you'd want the main characters to be consistent.
---
Yessss! Shake that thorax!
PSN: Zath84 Xbox Live: Wario waniac
#8GloryChaosPosted 1/11/2013 10:02:56 PM
The complaints are valid. For the most part. I'm not going to state all the issues wrong with the game again.

Then there are those complaints that are simply unreasonable.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#9BegingamePosted 1/11/2013 10:28:43 PM
The game gets complained about for the wrong reasons.

No story is fine.
No partners is fine.
Not being TYD or 64 is fine.

The problem is with the game mechanics themselves.
(And the reason this is being posted here instead of the SS board is because the people there seem to understand these problems, where as the people on the main 3DS board defend this game being great and insist that people only hate it because it's different).

1) There is too big of a power difference between battle stickers and Thing stickers when it comes to bosses. It's okay to make bosses have weaknesses, but not to the point that it almost completely negates anything outside of infinijumps, especially when the game expects the player to have flung specific Things into stickers ahead of time. From there it becomes an issue of knowing when to use the specific thing stickers on top of already having them (i.e. the sponge right before the poison spit). Yes, you can get specific hints from Kersti about the boss...after you die. In fact, needing to fling Things into stickers in the first place ends up hindering the entire mechanic in the first place, as cute as the dev team may have thought it was. This might be alleviated a bit if the game treated Things as permanent objects you retained in your inventory that simply required "Thing Points" (TP) to use.

2) 50% of the Thing stickers don't get used outside of contributing them to the museum. By the time you have enough sticker pages to justify carrying around multiple giant Thing stickers, the game is almost over, at which point you have also been taught to be punished for using any Thing that isn't the "right" Thing.

3) Many segments of game progression are locked behind invisible blocks and narrow passages in the background of the screen. It's okay to hide extra, fun goodies and secrets to games. It's not okay to hide game progression behind those things. It's a puzzle to decipher hieroglyphics in a temple. It's not a puzzle to jump at a specific spot (and this is outside of the invis blocks that have flowers underneath them as a clue) or walk behind a random bush that otherwise looks flat, even with 3D on. Imagine if you couldn't clear the original Super Mario Bros without knowing where the invisible 1-Up mushroom was on stage 1-1.

4) There is no meaningful reward for combat; therefore, there is no reason to get into combat. Prior to world 4, the amount of coins you get for defeating an enemy is negligible, especially when stickers are so abundant that the only thing you need to use coins on is black market Things and secret doors. The one saving grace of game design in this aspect is that battles aren't forced.

The only real point where the game hit it's stride was World 4; specifically, the Enigmansion. The puzzles had context, (fire) battle stickers were on par with Things in boss combat, and progression flowed extremely well.

Anyway, just wanted to get this out there, regardless of whether or not you agree with any of the points brought up. It's okay to defend a game, but it's frustrating to see a game being defended over the wrong reasons.

And, again, none of these things are game-breaking, they are just poor game design choices that could have easily been alleviated by a few tweaks to gameplay.

Sticker Star felt like it was too afraid of being an RPG, but when it drifted towards being a point and click puzzle adventure game, it didn't drift far enough and the final result was some hybrid that didn't incorporate proper game mechanics from EITHER genre.
#10Trailblazer34Posted 1/11/2013 10:45:45 PM
Nickcool1996 posted...
You'll get bored after Chapter 3.

The game is fine, but it needed some sort of form of progression...like leveling up or learning skills.