I'm glad I'm too lazy to learn japanese

#21wishroomPosted 1/12/2013 5:30:13 PM
ItemBreak posted...
I know Japanese and I don't mind the region locking because I have a Japanese 3DS, lol. The region lock pretty much affects only the people who don't know Japanese (and thus probably don't find it worth it to import a Japanese system) and just want to import the occasional Japan-only oddity. And Europeans and Australians who get shafted with localizations, but that's another story.

Well said. I'm quite content now with my Japanese and can play with very few problems. I was happy for my only 3DS to be from Japan.
#22Lord_FroodPosted 1/12/2013 8:45:52 PM
I really have no reason to lie, because honestly, I'm not some douche who would do that to make my case look better. Honestly speaking though, my FF:CC OST I ordered from Amazon is costing me $2.98 for S&H from Japan.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#23ItemBreakPosted 1/12/2013 9:22:18 PM
Are you sure it's Japanese Amazon? Amazon.co.jp lists their shipping costs on their website (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1039606), and that's what I've been charged every time I've ordered from them. There's pretty much no reason to believe you.
#24RaulsenPosted 1/12/2013 10:27:24 PM
GeorgeyPeorgey posted...
That way I don't have to feel bad about region locking >_>

Oh... c'mon, TC. Japanese really isn't that bad! :O

I've been studying for over 3 years now, and I can honestly say it gets a waaaaaaaay worse rap than it deserves. Since you're presumably a native English speaker, check this:

Japanese has...

-An extremely simple, unified syllabary. This means that for each of the basic phonetic characters, you've only got one sound. Compare that to English where letters change their sounds more than the town bicycle changes partners. The "su" in "sushi" is always gonna' be "su," without any spelling crap to worry about.

-Only one real sound that could be difficult for native English speakers. The Japanese "r" is kinda' difficult for native English speakers, but with a little practice (and I do mean a little- like just a video or two), it's a piece of cake.

-The phonetic alphabets used in the language are essentially mirrors of each other (think print and cursive, but with one being used exclusively for loanwords), and could easily be learned over the course of a week or two with just a bit of effort. This alone will already give you significant progress in the language, and as an added bonus, it ties in seamlessly with Japanese pronunciation, as mentioned before.

-No genders. No conjugating to person. Not even conjugations for plurality! I don't know if I could go back to studying a romance language after studying Japanese. Japanese cuts down a lot of needless conjugation, and while it has something most languages don't in terms of conjugation (it conjugates verbs to politeness), this is inextricably tied in with the culture and Japanese mindset. Of course, Chinese has pretty much any language beat when it comes to Chinese, but not every language can take advantage of tones, either.

-Kanji aren't that bad. I said it. Y'know those little lines and squiggles that look like they might either be pictures or the scribblings of an insane, slightly-horny bird? Those are Kanji. And believe it or not, they're some of the most logical linguistic constructions you'll ever encounter. While they take time and effort to learn, Kanji provide one "ah-hah!" moment after another. The character for "steam" breaks down to "water" plus "gas," the character for "rest" breaks down to "person" plus "tree" and depicts a person leaning up against a tree, taking some hardcore R&R time. You need more proof? Fine. One of the characters for "noisy" is actually three women together! See? Interesting AND truthful! (Just kidding, ladies! Blame the Chinese, since they're the ones who came up with the characters in the first place!) But seriously. Kanji. Aren't. That. Bad. Take a little time to get to know how they work, and next thing y'know, you'll be addicted to 'em.

And now... I, the mysterious crusader for the Japanese language shall disappear in the hopes that I've kindled the joys of Japanese in TC's heart!

*Flies off into the distance, riding a dragon made out of Kanji*
---
Yes, I'm a Christian and 100% proud of it. God Bless!
You're not alone anymore. We're together, and I'm not leaving you. -The City in the Snow Globe
#251upsuperPosted 1/12/2013 10:29:10 PM
I'm glad I've been studying Japanese for four years now.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#26OoSubaruoOPosted 1/12/2013 10:41:06 PM
Baha05 posted...
Well honestly TC region locking only screws with a really small number of gamers anyhow

And, your point being? Region Locking is idiotic, I'm not willing to pay another $300+ just to get a Japanese 3DS to play Japanese games.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#27Lum_YatsuraPosted 1/12/2013 11:01:23 PM
I know Japanese and I don't mind the region locking because I have a Japanese 3DS, lol. The region lock pretty much affects only the people who don't know Japanese (and thus probably don't find it worth it to import a Japanese system) and just want to import the occasional Japan-only oddity. And Europeans and Australians who get shafted with localizations, but that's another story.

For that matter, in certain DS games you can't even access Japanese content you already own.
3DS outside Japan does not have a system option to intentionally tell games to use Japanese.

Japanese 3DS is the opposite though. It has no way to tell games to NOT use Japanese.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#28Byhalia13Posted 1/12/2013 11:05:16 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...

And, your point being? Region Locking is idiotic, I'm not willing to pay another $300+ just to get a Japanese 3DS to play Japanese games.

This is 100% truth. I've never been in favor of region-locking, even if it only harms a minority of gamers (which I don't think is actually that much of a minority). While it may increase console sales it can decrease game sales and screws over the gamers/fans.

Not everyone can go out and buy a second system where the only difference is region.
#29ShadowRisaePosted 1/13/2013 12:52:49 AM
MrFwibbles posted...
Lord_Frood posted...
Lol, that's such a lie.

Then please show me where I can get Bravely Default for less than $90 including shipping.

Edit: I made a mistake. I just checked my research and the price range is $73-100. Still about twice the cost of a US release, though.

It runs about 4200 yen or so at the used game store down the street from me. That's about $47 at today's rates. I live in Japan though, so...
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#30Lord_FroodPosted 1/13/2013 1:28:09 AM
ItemBreak posted...
Are you sure it's Japanese Amazon? Amazon.co.jp lists their shipping costs on their website (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1039606), and that's what I've been charged every time I've ordered from them. There's pretty much no reason to believe you.

I'm using American Amazon to buy something from Japan. That's still an import. I mean, the disc is Japanese format and everything.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group