Why do you guys care so much about how Nintendo is doing financially?

#1Boo_MarioPosted 1/13/2013 5:21:49 AM
Nintendo's financial performance should only be relevant to you if you are a Nintendo shareholder (that is, you own Nintendo stock, ticker symbol NTDOY)

If Nintendo does really well and prints a boatload of money, why do you care? None of that money will ever find its way to your pockets. Unless you're a shareholder.

If the 3DS and/or Wii U bombs, who cares? It's not your money that's being flushed down the toilet -- it's Nintendo's. Unless you're a shareholder.

Hiroshi Yamauchi owns some 100 million shares in Nintendo (valued at over $1 billion USD) and I'm sure he sleeps better at night than most of you fanboys. The daily fluctuations in Nintendo stock can cause him to lose or gain tens of millions of USD in theoretical wealth every day.
#2GGearXPosted 1/13/2013 5:22:57 AM
Because I don't want Ninty to die. I love em and hope they stay in business.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#3Boo_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 5:31:24 AM

Well I got good news for you. Nintendo has enough cash in the bank to sustain a 3DS or Wii U "flop" without going bankrupt. (And I mean a real "flop" like the Virtual Boy.) If you read their financial statements you'd know that.
#4GGearXPosted 1/13/2013 5:33:22 AM
Boo_Mario posted...

Well I got good news for you. Nintendo has enough cash in the bank to sustain a 3DS or Wii U "flop" without going bankrupt. (And I mean a real "flop" like the Virtual Boy.) If you read their financial statements you'd know that.

Then why are people complaining?
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#5EarthViperPosted 1/13/2013 5:35:53 AM
Yes, Nintendo would survive a disasterous generation however such a thing would greatly impact the company and force many significant changes. For those who are happy with the current direction such a thing could be detrimental to their enjoyment of Nintendo products.

I agree some people take too personal of an interest, to the point of being intolerable a**hats on the internet. However to have a vested interest in the success of a company whose products you like is hardly unreasonable.
---
Clam shell plastic packaging is, in fact, my mortal enemy.
#6gransPosted 1/13/2013 8:40:46 AM(edited)
The success of a video game system may often determine the software support for said system. When a system maker sells a ton of their hardware, it grows a huge install base. A large install base tends to attract more developers to it to create tons of games for it. A smaller install base for a system that has sold poorly won't always receive the same support.

Dragon Quest games for example tend to gravitate largely towards the best selling systems of the time (NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Wii for consoles. Gameboy, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS for handhelds).

It's rather natural and logical that someone hopes the system they bought will end up selling a lot and becoming popular. Some people may act fanboyish about it, but that doesn't mean there's not logical reasons to think that way as well (even if there's another console that I don't personally want, I still hope it succeeds due to healthy competition and rivalry).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#7PsychoWolfXPosted 1/13/2013 8:47:38 AM
Is Nintendo really in even in trouble? I don't follow sales, but I'm always hearing about how the wii and 3ds sold/sell so well. I was under the impression that Nintendo was far better off then M$ and Sony.
But I guess the other companies do have more going for them then video games...
#8Carbuncle009Posted 1/13/2013 8:50:16 AM
Boo_Mario posted...

Didn't someone state that they have enough money to sustain themselves until 2050?
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#9MadDewgPosted 1/13/2013 9:27:49 AM
The success of a video game system may often determine the software support for said system.

This. You obviously wouldn't want to waste your money buying a dud with barely no 3rd party support whatsoever. Like for example people that bought a atari jaguar, 3DO, or even a neo geo (as awesome as the neo geo itself was, snk's own stuff was pretty much all it had going for it) back in the day on day one.

The main factor in the 3ds vs. the vita decision for me personally is which portable was doing the best in it's homeland japan. Whichever is doing the best in japan has a good chance of getting the most rpgs (or whichever handheld has monster hunter, lol).
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#10EndgamePosted 1/13/2013 11:22:03 AM
because I want Nintendo to collapse so Iwata can't use it as a tool for evil any more
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert