Why do Nintendo characters become so iconic?

#1Fr33zPosted 1/13/2013 11:55:00 PM(edited)
Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Star Fox, etc. I've always wondered why Nintendo's characters have such an easier time becoming a household name compared to their competitors. Even some newer/less nostalgic/returning characters that never shined before are become common names like Pit, Olimar, etc. Yet I look at other "big name" characters from Sony and MSoft like Nathan Drake and Marcus Fenix and they dont have that same name staying power. Master Chief is probably the only other character that is well known to the general public, Kratos too but even he is leaning towards the "less known" side. So what makes Nintendo characters so much easier to be recognized?
---
NNID: Illuminatis
#2Mascara_SnakePosted 1/13/2013 11:55:28 PM(edited)
Just for the record, the character from Kid Icarus is called Pit, his name isn't Kid Icarus.
---
Steam: Giever
3DS: 2707-2677-5299
#3Fr33z(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 11:54:38 PM
Mascara_Snake posted...
Just for the record, the character from Kid Icarus is called Pit, his name isn't Kid Icarus.

Blah I knew I made a mistake -.- I've keep calling him Icarus for some reason.
---
#4robinhoekPosted 1/13/2013 11:54:43 PM
Get them into kids' minds and they will do the rest.
#5Stefan1277Posted 1/13/2013 11:54:45 PM
Friendly and likeable. A little guy wearing a red hat with a 'stache, throwing fireballs at turtles and grabbing coins on a world where mountains and clouds have eyes.

Versus.

A brute, wearing nothing but a manthong, bald with a messy beard slaying demons because he's angry.

First example has a broader audience.

Disclaimer: I used Kratos as an example cause most Sony other "iconic" characters are random guys on jeans and a shirt.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#6KarateKid93Posted 1/13/2013 11:55:09 PM
Mascara_Snake posted...

---
3DS XL fc: 0189-8348-0317 pm me if you add me.
Pokemon White 2 fc: 1292-7152-2359 pm me if you add me
#7Mascara_SnakePosted 1/13/2013 11:55:42 PM
Also: I imagine the reason is that they literally are more iconic. They are more like icons, in that they are just simpler looking compared to characters you listed, like Nathan Drake, etc. First of all, they all have very iconic silhouettes, second, their names all tend to be short and easy to remember.

But most of all, Pit and Olimar really aren't becoming common names. Especially considering you got Pit's name wrong. So a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Nintendo characters that really are iconic, are the ones that have been around longer.
---
Steam: Giever
3DS: 2707-2677-5299
#8Fr33z(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 11:58:17 PM
Mascara_Snake posted...
Also: I imagine the reason is that they literally are more iconic. They are more like icons, in that they are just simpler looking compared to characters you listed, like Nathan Drake, etc. First of all, they all have very iconic silhouettes, second, their names all tend to be short and easy to remember.

But most of all, Pit and Olimar really aren't becoming common names. Especially considering you got Pit's name wrong. So a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Nintendo characters that really are iconic, are the ones that have been around longer.

Well by more common names I mean they're easier remembered to the general public. All it took was Super Smash Bros and alot of Nintendo's characters get known, heck thats how Pit started his revival path. In contrast to Playstation All Stars people still dont know half of the people on their roster.
---
#9Shadowman621Posted 1/13/2013 11:58:17 PM
You guys got on him about Kid Icarus, yet no one noticed "Star Fox"?
---
Official Roof Fiddler and Maestro of the NDF
3DS FC: 0516-7288-9163 Handle: Brandon
#10Fr33z(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 11:59:21 PM
Shadowman621 posted...
You guys got on him about Kid Icarus, yet no one noticed "Star Fox"?

Star Fox, Fox, Fox McCloud, he goes by all three. Heck he gets called Star Fox by Wolf in the N64 game.
---