Why do Nintendo characters become so iconic?

#21robinhoekPosted 1/14/2013 12:58:37 AM
DemonDog666 posted...
Because Nintendo constantly uses them. That's really all it is, they are in nearly every gen so they become iconic by default where most other game series have a trilogy and move on.

Nope. Marketing and quality. You cannot force an icon. Mario didn't happen by accident. His brand was cultivated perfectly. Also your trilogy bit is nonsense. Crash had more than a trilogy and his once iconic nature has all but faded due to a mismanaged brand and poor quality in later titles. Look at Spyro. Same situation but after his decline his owner gave him a novel marketing strategy backed by a quality product and now they've revived an old and seemingly worn out brand.
#22DemonDog666Posted 1/14/2013 1:50:48 AM(edited)
lambchips posted...
people still associate crash and spyro to sony and they havent had a good game in 2 gens

Yeah but not nearly to the level they do with Nintendo characters, if they were only used in a single gen they'd be on the same level as spyro and crash.

robinhoek posted...
Nope. Marketing and quality. You cannot force an icon. Mario didn't happen by accident. His brand was cultivated perfectly. Also your trilogy bit is nonsense. Crash had more than a trilogy and his once iconic nature has all but faded due to a mismanaged brand and poor quality in later titles. Look at Spyro. Same situation but after his decline his owner gave him a novel marketing strategy backed by a quality product and now they've revived an old and seemingly worn out brand.

Quality of mario and other Nintendo games has been declining, granted not as steeply as other franchises of late (spryo, FF, RE, banjo kazooie ect.) but the characters really aren't that iconic so it is mostly just marketing and reusing them over and over again, if you shove something in someone's face enough times they will consider it iconic.
#23Darth SpawnPosted 1/14/2013 1:07:37 AM
I find them iconic because I grew up with them. I still remember the fun times I had with my mom when we fighting through Legend of Zelda or trying to beat a specific level in Mario in the 80s. Nintendo just has that appeal that they help create memories attached to their games.
---
"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Master Yoda, Empire Strikes Back
#24Freelance_WolfPosted 1/14/2013 1:18:17 AM(edited)
Fr33z posted...
Shadowman621 posted...
You guys got on him about Kid Icarus, yet no one noticed "Star Fox"?

Star Fox, Fox, Fox McCloud, he goes by all three. Heck he gets called Star Fox by Wolf in the N64 game.

Um, no? When Wolf said 'Star Fox,' he obviously means the team which is called Star Fox, just like how Wolf's team is called Star Wolf. He wasn't saying Fox's name, but the team.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#25Oakland510_Posted 1/14/2013 1:48:21 AM
Donkey Kong is a pimp
#26fuzi11Posted 1/14/2013 1:54:18 AM
TV shows and merchandise

that's why Fox isn't really iconic, no one who doesn't play Nintendo games does know Star Fox. Same more or less with Samus. She is nowhere as famous and well known as Lara Croft.

Kid Icarus/Pit and Simon Belmont became famous via Captain N
Mario has always been famous, but the TV show helped.

DK and Pacman were like the first videogame characters

There is tons and tons of merchandise with Toad, Yoshi and all of those Pokemon.

Not to forget the Pokemon TV show and movies.

Zelda TV show.

Of course all of those shows happened when there wasn't an oversaturation of cartoons. Did anyone really notice the DK cartoon when there were thousands of other cartoons at the same time.

Kirby show.

There aren't any Kratos TV Shows to my knowledge.
#27leopoldsharkPosted 1/14/2013 2:33:29 AM
Mario, DK, and Zelda came about in 1985. The game market had just crashed a couple years ago and Nintendo didn't have much competition in the market. They also did a lot of cross-marketing (Mario TV shows, movie, advertisements). Sonic did the same thing, he advertised for Cheerios, then we got several Sonic cartoon series. Mario and Sonic were placed at "mascot" status. When you thought of Nintendo, you instantly think of Mario. When you think of Sega, you think of Sonic the Hedgehog. Microsoft has done this to some degree with Master Chief (cross-promotions with Mtn. Dew and Doritos and such).

Sony doesn't really have a mascot. They do have several fantastic IPs, but none of them have ascended to mascot status. I think either Kratos or Sackboy would probably be the closest to being mascots for Sony, but Kratos isn't as kid friendly and having Sackboy as the mascot would disappoint the older gamers.

The other thing is, Microsoft and Sony are not solely gaming companies. Microsoft makes computers and operating systems at the forefront and Sony sells TVs and other electronic appliances. I don't think they want people to recognize them as a gaming company first when they only get a portion of their revenue from the gaming market. I think that is the simpler answer.
#28VyersPosted 1/14/2013 2:41:44 AM
The thing with this is that most of Nintendo's most popular characters became so iconic due to lack of competition. Pit, Samus, Little Mac, Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Peach, Luigi, Bowser, Ganon, Zelda, etc. appeared on the NES, which had no real competitor. Kirby, Wario, and Pikachu appeared on the Game Boy, which was even less of a competition. When you look at the Super NES, you don't see the impact that those characters had, because the Genesis existed and was a viable competitor. Characters expanded their popularity (DK most so), and we got Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Fox McCloud (all but Yoshi having only relative success as iconic characters). On the N64, it was even slimmer. While it still had new IPs, it didn't really introduce any new characters that hit it off as much as above mentioned characters did. Closest would be Tom Nook, which more applies on the GameCube because his initial debut as a character was Japan-only. Same with GameCube, though Olimar kind of fits (as well as Tom Nook, as mentioned above). The GBA, meanwhile, showed us Starfy, gave Wario new life (not to say that he was in trouble of course), and brought both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem to other regions. Golden Sun is another example, though less so. When the Wii came, we didn't really see anything new on that front, even on the DS - which, coincidentally, was in direct competition with the PSP. Here's hoping 3DS and Wii U make more iconic characters.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#29ZBug_Posted 1/14/2013 2:46:27 AM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
Fr33z posted...
Shadowman621 posted...
You guys got on him about Kid Icarus, yet no one noticed "Star Fox"?

Star Fox, Fox, Fox McCloud, he goes by all three. Heck he gets called Star Fox by Wolf in the N64 game.

Um, no? When Wolf said 'Star Fox,' he obviously means the team which is called Star Fox, just like how Wolf's team is called Star Wolf. He wasn't saying Fox's name, but the team.

This
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#30ZBug_Posted 1/14/2013 2:52:59 AM
@fuzi11 I don't think Lara croft is that famous to non gamers, I bet if I went up to my college and ask a bunch of people who Lara Croft is, only gamers or people who played her games would really know. Samus I think is in the same boat.
Unless someone's a fan of the tomb raider movies, then they would know the name. So I'd only rate Lara as mildly more iconic.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)