Why do Nintendo characters become so iconic?

#31elsmittyPosted 1/14/2013 4:01:28 AM
Terotrous posted...
I would argue that Fox and Samus are not really household names, and Olimar and Pit certainly aren't.

Really, the household name characters are:

Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

The other two huge names are Sonic and Pac-Man. No one else is really in the same league (and yes this includes Link. It doesn't help that many non-gamers think his name is Zelda).

I disagree I think Link Zelda and Ganon are household names as well...
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
#32VyersPosted 1/14/2013 4:03:16 AM
ZBug_ posted...
@fuzi11 I don't think Lara croft is that famous to non gamers, I bet if I went up to my college and ask a bunch of people who Lara Croft is, only gamers or people who played her games would really know. Samus I think is in the same boat.
Unless someone's a fan of the tomb raider movies, then they would know the name. So I'd only rate Lara as mildly more iconic.

Kwaha? That's silly. Lara Croft is, like, Mario and Pac-Man level. Everyone knows who Lara Croft is. To play NES is not to play Metroid. To play PS1 is to have heard of Lara Croft. Hell, she's played by one of the biggest female celebrities ever.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#33EstilPosted 1/14/2013 4:33:08 AM
Fr33z posted...Yet I look at other "big name" characters from Sony and MSoft like Nathan Drake and Marcus Fenix and they dont have that same name staying power.

How long have Sony (speaking of Sony I thought Crash Bandicoot was meant to be their mascot; how come that didn't work out?) and M$ been around compared to Nintendo or even Sega? But you do have a point; I've been a gamer for 22 years and I don't even know what games Nathan Drake or Marcus Fenix are from (I never even heard of those guys until you brought them up). I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy traditionalist stuck in the 8-bit/16-bit era... :P
---
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller
#34EstilPosted 1/14/2013 4:39:42 AM
fuzi11 posted...Same more or less with Samus. She is nowhere as famous and well known as Lara Croft.

I remember a Yahoo article that listed Lara Croft in their main list of most iconic video game characters/franchises while Samus was only an "honorable mention". That is grossly unfair. Samus is the true "Wonder Woman of video games" without question! She goes back almost ten years before Lara, Samus has been on every major Nintendo console except the N64 (her cameo in Super Smash Bros doesn't count), and as for Lara, most of her major titles occurred during the PS1 era and she been barely heard from since. And most important of all, Samus is the first true female video game protagonist (sorry, Ms. Pac Man doesn't count).
---
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller
#35JimmyMimpsonPosted 1/14/2013 5:07:44 AM
Fr33z posted...
Shadowman621 posted...
You guys got on him about Kid Icarus, yet no one noticed "Star Fox"?

Star Fox, Fox, Fox McCloud, he goes by all three. Heck he gets called Star Fox by Wolf in the N64 game.

Star Fox is the name of the team (Fox, Peppy, Slippy, & Falco).
---
"Thank God Bramble Blast is such an epic track or else I would be beating my kielbasa against a waffle iron by this point."-ResidentEvilKoala
#36abbyhitterPosted 1/14/2013 6:13:58 AM
I don't know any characters names from Xbox or Playstation games because I have never owned any of those systems. I started on Nintendo in the early 90s and stuck with Nintendo ever since. People know these iconic names such as Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu because they started gaming on Nintendo systems as a kid. These franchises are a lot older than franchises from Playstation and Xbox systems.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#37Bahamut_10thPosted 1/14/2013 6:16:18 AM
One word. Design.

Characters with heavy and overly complex design are harder to become iconic. It's not just about their games being good or popular.

Kratos IS iconic. Like you or not his design is distinct.
#38WickedSickJoshPosted 1/14/2013 8:06:36 AM
Nintendo's characters have more history. It's like no matter what age you are there was always a Mario or Legend of Zelda game you played when you were younger. Nintendo games are always kid-friendly by design yet they're so deep that the games last a lot longer then most other games.

It also has to do with the state of the generation. Everyone now wants to see some generic tough guy with a gun so that's what we end up getting. People now make exceptions for games like Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and whatnot due to the nostalgia factor. It doesn't help that most games are first-person so you don't even see the character you're playing as.
---
Currently Playing: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal (PS3), WWE '13 (360), New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
"You can't sedate all the things you hate"
#39SMASHKING84Posted 1/14/2013 8:21:19 AM
derrate posted...
The answer is pretty obvious. Nintendo only has like 5 IPs that they just rehash since forever.

it's more like a dozen and they've been arround 30 years it's hard to CONSTANLY come up with new ips ESPECIALLY since the last new ip they tried failed hard.

Where were to buy steel diver?
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me. vita.lbp.me/u/TCDFTW/levels
#40zinformantPosted 1/14/2013 8:32:34 AM
elsmitty posted...
Terotrous posted...
I would argue that Fox and Samus are not really household names, and Olimar and Pit certainly aren't.

Really, the household name characters are:

Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

The other two huge names are Sonic and Pac-Man. No one else is really in the same league (and yes this includes Link. It doesn't help that many non-gamers think his name is Zelda).

I disagree I think Link Zelda and Ganon are household names as well...

NOnsense. I dare you to test it. Neither Ganon nor Link are household names. 'Zelda' is, but that's in part because two of the few times the name tend to come up are the Legend of Zelda series and Zelda Fitzgerald. It's just uncommon.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/