Why do Nintendo characters become so iconic?

#41fuzi11Posted 1/14/2013 8:33:57 AM
Estil posted...
fuzi11 posted...Same more or less with Samus. She is nowhere as famous and well known as Lara Croft.

I remember a Yahoo article that listed Lara Croft in their main list of most iconic video game characters/franchises while Samus was only an "honorable mention". That is grossly unfair. Samus is the true "Wonder Woman of video games" without question! She goes back almost ten years before Lara, Samus has been on every major Nintendo console except the N64 (her cameo in Super Smash Bros doesn't count), and as for Lara, most of her major titles occurred during the PS1 era and she been barely heard from since. And most important of all, Samus is the first true female video game protagonist (sorry, Ms. Pac Man doesn't count).

There is a difference between the first one in a field and the most famous one in a field.

While Samus was one of the first ( I don't know if she was the first) main videogame characters to be female, she is by far not as famous as Lara Croft. Her most prominent games may have been the PS1 AND the PC (she is not a PS character, many people, me included played her games on PC) but she did not vanish after that. She starred in many more games and had her own movie franchise which, before Prince of Persia, were the best and most successful video game movies out there. Even today many stores in my city have Lara Croft statues in there videgame departement. She is next to Mario and Pikachu one of the most iconic video game characters ever. This is flat out denial to think that Samus is on the same level as Lara Croft. Even if she originated in videogames, she is pretty much the female counterpart to Indiana Jones.

Also she is a sex object and that is probably the biggest reason for her popularity.
#42DucePosted 1/14/2013 8:34:42 AM
Nintendo was first to market with their characters after the gaming crash. With characters built from the ground up it established themselves brand name and recognition.
#43AllaudeenPosted 1/14/2013 9:32:01 AM
Lara Croft ... sorry but who is she?
#44Genericgamer667Posted 1/14/2013 9:41:49 AM
I'm sorry Uncharted fans but Nathan Drake....he does not really stand out at all compared to Mario or Link
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#45zinformantPosted 1/14/2013 10:15:45 AM
Genericgamer667 posted...
I'm sorry Uncharted fans but Nathan Drake....he does not really stand out at all compared to Mario or Link

I'm sorry Zelda fans, but Link does not really stand out at all compared to Mario. Grouping them together is unfair.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#46MelkacPosted 1/14/2013 10:37:48 AM
Now there are a lot of Sony fanboys trying to defend their beloved characters here...I guess it can't be helped.

I don't even need to post my opinion, TC, I would just say the same thing "Mario is famous because Nintendo, Luigi is famous because he's Mario's brother and Pikachu is famous because Pokémon"
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#47Genericgamer667Posted 1/14/2013 10:49:06 AM
zinformant posted...

I'm sorry Zelda fans, but Link does not really stand out at all compared to Mario. Grouping them together is unfair.

awww what's the matter? Can't handle the truth?
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#48zinformantPosted 1/14/2013 11:00:59 AM
zinformant posted...

awww what's the matter? Can't handle the truth?

The truth about what? I was the one explaining that there's a hierarchy here and that Nintendo characters all are not on the same tier. They're tiered (granted, above most of the Sony flagship series mascots but not nearly as much as Super Smash Bros. would lead you on to believe).
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#49EndgamePosted 1/14/2013 11:41:03 AM
well, for starters, Nintendo used to actually be the best video game company.....

and as you've all proven, the legacy of quality makes people cling to them even as they're now determined to become the absolute worst

Heck he gets called Star Fox by Wolf in the N64 game.

you don't think he could have been refering to the team as a whole when he said "Star Fox", the name of the team, don't you?

nah! that's ridiculous!
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#50JKatarnPosted 1/14/2013 12:49:20 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
lambchips posted...
people still associate crash and spyro to sony and they havent had a good game in 2 gens

Yeah but not nearly to the level they do with Nintendo characters, if they were only used in a single gen they'd be on the same level as spyro and crash.

robinhoek posted...
Nope. Marketing and quality. You cannot force an icon. Mario didn't happen by accident. His brand was cultivated perfectly. Also your trilogy bit is nonsense. Crash had more than a trilogy and his once iconic nature has all but faded due to a mismanaged brand and poor quality in later titles. Look at Spyro. Same situation but after his decline his owner gave him a novel marketing strategy backed by a quality product and now they've revived an old and seemingly worn out brand.

Quality of mario and other Nintendo games has been declining, granted not as steeply as other franchises of late (spryo, FF, RE, banjo kazooie ect.) but the characters really aren't that iconic so it is mostly just marketing and reusing them over and over again, if you shove something in someone's face enough times they will consider it iconic.

Wow, "not that iconic"? Are you really that dim? Nintendo characters like Mario and Link are right up there with "Pac Man" in the public consciousness when you mention "video games" - probably has something to do with the fact that they created the arcade hit "Donkey Kong" starring the famous plumber and brought the video-game industry back from the brink of extinction with the release of the NES.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES