From someone who hasn't played an Etrian Odyssey...

#1SegavsCapcomPosted 1/14/2013 6:58:30 PM
... how big is the difficulty curve? Is it easy enough to pick up and play.

I'm asking this because EO4 looks great.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#2aamotPosted 1/14/2013 7:07:48 PM
EO4 has an alternate easier mode than the earlier games. So it should be the best one to jump into blind.

The difficulty usually comes from being told nothing in the game itself.

Skills are understood after choosing and using them in various situations, enemy tactics and threats are only witnessed after dying to them, and ideal character builds are only figured out after building up a few total wastes. Couple this "crash course trial by fire" with a grind-heavy adventure with underpowered characters, through an unmapped dungeon and you'll get the EO experience.

But I mean... like, it's fun, though.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#3yankee6903Posted 1/14/2013 7:08:28 PM
Its pretty tough..at least 1-3 were. Especially with the mapping...there is SO much you can miss. And the bosses are pretty hard. I say try 1-3 first. I am currently about 5 hours into 3...I was the same as you I wanted to try before I put out 40 for EO4.
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#4SegavsCapcom(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 7:13:18 PM
aamot posted...
EO4 has an alternate easier mode than the earlier games. So it should be the best one to jump into blind.

The difficulty usually comes from being told nothing in the game itself.

Skills are understood after choosing and using them in various situations, enemy tactics and threats are only witnessed after dying to them, and ideal character builds are only figured out after building up a few total wastes. Couple this "crash course trial by fire" with a grind-heavy adventure with underpowered characters, through an unmapped dungeon and you'll get the EO experience.

But I mean... like, it's fun, though.

An RPG were your you need to die to learn?

Sounds fun. And scary. Thanks for the answer.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#5aamotPosted 1/14/2013 7:23:47 PM
You don't need to die to learn, necessarily, but you'll have no idea why bosses are dangerous until that move cuts down half of your team.

The big thing with EO is to move slowly. Don't over commit to an expedition; when your supplies and healing dwindle to about half, start thinking about retreating. You'll need those supplies to get out alive. And (at least in previous ones) you can only save in-town, so if you die it's a game over and title screen.

You don't make that mistake often, lol.
---
#6FefnirOmega13Posted 1/14/2013 8:06:36 PM
Rest in the clearing! You know you want to!

Also, if you see a giant glowing orange ball, it's treasure. Make sure you pick it up.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#7aamotPosted 1/14/2013 8:09:39 PM

Also, if you see a giant glowing orange ball, it's treasure. Make sure you pick it up.

That treasure scales in power to how badly you need it, so if you're at lower health it'll provide you with stronger treasure to help you survive.
---
#8DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/14/2013 8:12:06 PM

That treasure scales in power to how badly you need it, so if you're at lower health it'll provide you with stronger treasure to help you survive.

As an EO veteran, I can confirm these pieces of advice to be legitimate.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#9FefnirOmega13Posted 1/14/2013 8:20:03 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

As an EO veteran, I can confirm these pieces of advice to be legitimate.

Yep.

There are three scales of treasure.

Orange treasure: The most common type of treasure. This will provide you with minor healing items generally or some accessories. Takes a short while to respawn.

Red treasure: Fairly rare treasure. You can get decent armour and weaponry that scales with the floor as well as awesome healing items. Moderate time to respawn.

Black treasure: The best kind of treasure, this is where all the game-owning stuff comes from. Stuff from these will last you a couple of floors on average- but there are only fixed points, and they take the longest to respawn.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#10aamotPosted 1/14/2013 8:33:39 PM
Lol. Wow, I just understood the hardest thing about EO games. It's the fans.
I'M META'ING OUT RIGHT NOW
---