The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Nintendo should launch a 480p model

#1DarthFloatyPosted 1/14/2013 11:20:09 PM
I love the 3DS. And I find the screen/visuals very satisfying. However, for a 2014 redesign, I'd like to see a 480p model of the 3DS. As I understand it (based on Apple's iPhones, tbh), doubling the resolution exactly wouldn't cause any fragmentation as games would play on both. They'd just look sharper on the 480p version. The only issue that I can see is if it would require the system to be more powerful to run games at 480p or not.

Is this possible? Anyone else interested in the idea?
#2Starwars4JPosted 1/14/2013 11:30:38 PM
Not possible, you don't want to fragment the userbase by making an older model obsolete after all. And at that small screen size, you really think the small jump you're talking about would be noticeable?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#3DarthFloaty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 11:37:32 PM
It wouldn't fragment if games where made for the 240p current design. That's like saying a system would fragment over a 720p TV vs a 1080p TV. Same games, same graphics, ect. Just a better screen.

I noticed the gap from my iPod (640p) to my phone (720p), so something like this could be easily noticed. Especially on the XL.
#4elsmittyPosted 1/14/2013 11:42:58 PM
I see them eventually releasing a 3ds hd model in a two to three years. But I see them doing 720p or maybe 1020p along with a upgraded processor and more ram.
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
#5RazieruPosted 1/14/2013 11:47:10 PM
It's simple. Get rid of the stupid ass 3D gimmick that NEVER EVER amounted to ANYTHING. Because of that gimmick, it did more hurt than help:

> DS games look like CRAP unless you shrink the image
> everything has to be seen in a blur thanks to a blur filter placed within the top screen to prevent the 3DS's graphics, 3D, and DS graphics from colliding with each other in a pixellated mess
> kills the already abysmal battery life even quicker
> eliminates any possibly of TRUE upscaling (again, the Vita says "Tee hee" with its TRUE upscaling of PSP games)

It's not really an issue of graphics as it is of the 3D gimmick Nintendo poorly executed. The blur filter is no better either. Remove that nonsense, and the visuals will at least suffer less. It would also possibly lead to that blur filter being removed as well so you won't have to see everything as if your eyes were always dilated all the damn time when viewing the 3DSs' top screen.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#6DarthFloaty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 11:51:28 PM
Razieru posted...
It's simple. Get rid of the stupid ass 3D gimmick that NEVER EVER amounted to ANYTHING. Because of that gimmick, it did more hurt than help:

> everything has to be seen in a blur thanks to a blur filter placed within the top screen to prevent the 3DS's graphics, 3D, and DS graphics from colliding with each other in a pixellated mess
> eliminates any possibly of TRUE upscaling (again, the Vita says "Tee hee" with its TRUE upscaling of PSP games)

It's not really an issue of graphics as it is of the 3D gimmick Nintendo poorly executed. The blur filter is no better either. Remove that nonsense, and the visuals will at least suffer less. It would also possibly lead to that blur filter being removed as well so you won't have to see everything as if your eyes were always dilated all the damn time when viewing the 3DSs' top screen.

1. I enjoyed the 3d on both SM: 3DL and Star fox 64 3D. NSMB2 also looks good. Your opinion is fine, but mine is different.

2. This is off topic. Do you want a 480p model or not?
#7RazieruPosted 1/15/2013 12:00:27 AM
DarthFloaty posted...
Razieru posted...

1. I enjoyed the 3d on both SM: 3DL and Star fox 64 3D. NSMB2 also looks good. Your opinion is fine, but mine is different.

If the Vita has 720, then why not go with that? I'm all for better. Hell, It may actually convince me to get a 3DS for keeps this time.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#8DarthFloaty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 12:05:19 AM
Razieru posted...
DarthFloaty posted...
Razieru posted...

If the Vita has 720, then why not go with that? I'm all for better. Hell, It may actually convince me to get a 3DS for keeps this time.

I'd like HD also, but that would drive the price up. Besides, the screen looks pretty sleek already, at 800 x 240, so doubling that to 1600 x 480 would probably look good enough.

Vita isn't HD yet, only qHD. I don't think Sony would release one with a better screen, because it's already so good that an upgrade to HD wouldn't really be noticeable, or worth increasing the price (it's already having trouble selling now). Although, maybe in more time (2016 or whatever), a release with a 720/1080p display would be worth considering.
#9RazieruPosted 1/15/2013 12:11:52 AM
DarthFloaty posted...
I'd like HD also, but that would drive the price up. Besides, the screen looks pretty sleek already, at 800 x 240, so doubling that to 1600 x 480 would probably look good enough.

Vita isn't HD yet, only qHD. I don't think Sony would release one with a better screen, because it's already so good that an upgrade to HD wouldn't really be noticeable, or worth increasing the price (it's already having trouble selling now). Although, maybe in more time (2016 or whatever), a release with a 720/1080p display would be worth considering.

Well, I'm for a 3DS WITHOUT 3D (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense; maybe they can name it something else), and 480p. Anything like that would be a genuine start for dark ages Nintendo. I just never cared for the overused 3D gimmick. I can easily go anywhere and see 3D - be it theaters or the 3DS. There's....just no relevance for an eye trick. Kinda like how the slinky became such a craze way back when; for whatever reason.
---
#10DarthFloaty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 12:15:12 AM
Well I have enjoyed the 3D effects, I would have preferred a 480p screen and no 3D in the first place. It's doing very well right now, and I still really like it, so I'm hoping it gets an redesign with a nicer screen eventually. Really, that's the systems weakest link IMO.