Best/most recent Pokemon game? Wanna play one to see what's the hype about

#1Oakland510_Posted 1/15/2013 3:18:51 AM
Bought the MK7 3DS bundle last week along with Zelda:OOT and RE: Revelations. Haven't played any game on a Nintendo system in about 16-17 yrs when I was a kid and Revelations and MK are decent while Zelda is f***ing amazing so far. Just wanna prepare in advance on what's the next game I'll get once I'm done playing those 3 games. A Pokemon game seems like the next best thing.
#2KAMMYqueenPosted 1/15/2013 4:14:27 AM
i guess black and white 2 are a good choice
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#3nonexistingheroPosted 1/15/2013 5:37:26 AM
Wouldn't it be better to start with regular Black & White?
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#4nonexistingheroPosted 1/15/2013 5:38:17 AM
Oh, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Also pretty damn amazing, IMO.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#5SMASHKING84Posted 1/15/2013 5:42:42 AM
black/white 2 really is way better then black...BUT
hg/ss>>>>black 2/white 2>>>>platinum>>>>black/white>>>>diamond and pearl
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me. vita.lbp.me/u/TCDFTW/levels
#6zinformantPosted 1/15/2013 6:05:31 AM(edited)
Either pick up Platinum or Black/White (sans 2 at the end). BW2 is better as stated above, but I don't advise that as a first entry into the series (or first entry in a long time). HGSS are too dated and have poor design choices when you have better, newer alternatives.

Platinum offers everything you want from Pokemon...
-a lot of available Pokemon both legacy and 'new'
-better narrative than the first two generations (this includes HGSS since it's a remake)
-vast region to explore (the BW games lack this)
-minigames
-major postgame content in the realms of catching, battling, and exploration (all different)
-designed for the DS
-improved over Diamond and Pearl

Black and White may be appropriate, too. I do think Platinum is your best bet but concede that one of these is best considered, too.
-many available Pokemon but only from this wave of new Pokemon (the 'fifth generation') in the main story
-small improvements over Platinum and HGSS (that I admittedly cannot all name offhand)
-arguably the best narrative in the series, though that says very little
-much less fulfilling exploration
-postgame content far less in volume than Platinum

I hope that helps you, in a way, make an educated decision. I'm vouching for Platinum, a very refined game, but you could do alright with BW, too. I would strongly advise passing on both HGSS and BW2. If you have follow-up questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

EDIT: Something I failed to mention is that you may or may not be aware Pokemon X and Y are coming out in October. If you have other games to play in the meantime, you could, also, hold out until then. I'll bet THAT would be an incredible leap into the series given the changes they have made.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#7Lord_FroodPosted 1/15/2013 6:35:30 AM
Might as well just go for B/W. it's pretty much this generation's (of people, not game) Red and Blue in terms of creating its own standalone story and re-inventing the wheel. Most other games mix in all the previous Pokémon, but B/W only have the new 150 until you beat the game. It's a good way to get introduced to the series.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#8SalsaSavantPosted 1/15/2013 6:51:02 AM
I'd say B/W 2. It is easily THE most refined Pokemon game ever, and has a LOT of challenging post-game content.
And let's not forget that they made a point of making fan favorite Pokemon catchable early game.
You'll miss out on the actually pretty decent story of B/W, but who plays Pokemon for the story?
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#9EndgamePosted 1/15/2013 10:40:32 AM
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

play the franchise at its peak, then play nothing that came after

****ing ice cream pokémon, that is all
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#10Oakland510_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 3:53:50 AM
Thanks bros, any more opinions?