Should regular retail DS games be sold as downloads on the eShop?

#1Bass_X0Posted 1/15/2013 5:55:35 AM
It would be dumb to sell DS games at the same cost as retail 3DS games though so maybe the publisher would be free to set their own price. Many DS games are pretty much eShop games anyway in terms of content.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#2legisu86Posted 1/15/2013 6:11:38 AM
This is a great idea. Since i lost the DS era, i'm having a hard time finding some "old" classics. I totally approve this.
---
My three major game trauma: Shenmue, Xenogears and Xenosaga
I'm a badass reporter!!
#3GeorgeyPeorgeyPosted 1/15/2013 6:17:11 AM
What is stopping Nintendo from having a **** ton of games on the eShop?

I'm serious? Is it the rights to sell them? Making agreements with companies? Do they think it's not profitable somehow???
#4AllFictionPosted 1/15/2013 6:20:25 AM
you know guys?? this actually a brilliant idea!
#5ilikepie641Posted 1/15/2013 6:22:12 AM
This has already kinda been done... a few dsiware titles are full ds games put on the eshop (little red riding hoods zombie bbq or whatever its called ) /missing a few features to get you to buy retail (plants vs. zombies) /sold in seperate downloads (art academy, well this kinda doesnt count since it was released on the dsiware first then retail)
#6xellos667Posted 1/15/2013 6:30:41 AM(edited)
Problem is, DS titles work pretty much the same way DSiWare titles do. In which you enter the "DS" mode, where you can't access the Home menu without exiting the game. And because of that, I'm pretty sure that if they make them downloadable, that would mean that they would not be playable from the SD card, but only from the 1024 blocks internal memory. As you could guess, 1 DS games could surely almost fill the internal memory.

SO while it would be fun, if my theory is right, Nintendo just CAN'T do it, unless they first find a fix for making DSiWare titles playable from the SD card. So you can stop dreaming, it won't happen because the 3DS was not build that way. And Nintendo seems to have better things to do (obviously) than make a firmware update for playble DSiWare games from the SD card...

/thread
---
My digital 3DS games collection and slow progression beating them:
http://backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#7Lord_FroodPosted 1/15/2013 7:38:18 AM
Aw, Xellos had to get all smart and crush our dreams.
Nintendo should just take a cue from the Vita and rework their online services to copy them.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#8Kaze_MemaryuPosted 1/15/2013 8:38:43 AM
xellos667 posted...
Problem is, DS titles work pretty much the same way DSiWare titles do. In which you enter the "DS" mode, where you can't access the Home menu without exiting the game. And because of that, I'm pretty sure that if they make them downloadable, that would mean that they would not be playable from the SD card, but only from the 1024 blocks internal memory. As you could guess, 1 DS games could surely almost fill the internal memory.

SO while it would be fun, if my theory is right, Nintendo just CAN'T do it, unless they first find a fix for making DSiWare titles playable from the SD card. So you can stop dreaming, it won't happen because the 3DS was not build that way. And Nintendo seems to have better things to do (obviously) than make a firmware update for playble DSiWare games from the SD card...

/thread

Not so fast, bucko!
If Nintendo was going to release DS games as downloadable games, they would undoubtedly pack them into a VC framework (and maybe even allow for wireless communication for multiplayer games). Only the save states might be in danger (since DS states take a LOT of memory), but could be dropped for a screenshot feature or something else
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#9xoftheuniversePosted 1/15/2013 8:46:38 AM
Well, under one condition. They find a way to let you BACK UP SAVE DATA! I had sent in my 3DS for repair due to a stuck R button and they did a system transfer and replaced it. However, some random issue caused me to be unable to use ANY wifi for DS games. The only fix was formatting the system and I backed up my save data on an SD card only to find out that it is useless and the 3DS can't read it. All my saves for the Ambassador games, and my Dsiware downloads... my VC games all the data is dead.
---
Sex is good, 3DS is better.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#10Kaze_MemaryuPosted 1/15/2013 8:55:40 AM
xoftheuniverse posted...
Well, under one condition. They find a way to let you BACK UP SAVE DATA! I had sent in my 3DS for repair due to a stuck R button and they did a system transfer and replaced it. However, some random issue caused me to be unable to use ANY wifi for DS games. The only fix was formatting the system and I backed up my save data on an SD card only to find out that it is useless and the 3DS can't read it. All my saves for the Ambassador games, and my Dsiware downloads... my VC games all the data is dead.

That was the wrong solution, my friend.
What you describe is a common problem with repairs. Just change all of your DS connection settings (and I mean ALL!), then change them back and reconnect to your wifi. That would've solved the problem.
Another way would've been to contact Nintendo to re-claim your download history and ID. That way your games would remain accessible and your save would be... well, safe.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans