So I can't get into SMT... because its First Person...

#1ValzacardXPosted 1/16/2013 1:38:37 AM
Every time someone ask for a game recommendation, someone post a link to the 3DS SMT coming out, and it looks so awesome. Till you get to the battle scenes... I've even always been some what of an fan of the SMT name after seeing Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2(still trying to hunt these games down),and Nocturne(Dante FTW), and I finally have Persona 3 to beat before moving to P4G.

But I just can't do it. Not seeing my character on screen irks me like nothing else as far as gaming. Same reason I had to put down the DS Digimon games. Maybe this one will be different. Is there going to be a demo released?
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#2Sir_HaxorPosted 1/16/2013 1:48:03 AM
Blasphemy. There is practicaly maybe 10% chance of a Demo unfortunately.

I like FP in RPGs but have the same feelings as you when it comes to shooters or adventure games. However, I had to put those feelings aside for Bioshock and Mirrors Edge. You can do it bro!
---
3DS Friend Code: 0559-6940-0140
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#3Argh4430Posted 1/16/2013 1:51:39 AM
I'm curious as to why first-person RPGs are a deal-breaker to you (why you don't like not seeing your character on-screen, from what I can tell). Is it because it doesn't look natural or realistic? Or that playing FP games give you motion sickness (I know of one game like that that does give me motion sickness)?
---
NNID: Snyder78
3DS FC: 3695-1354-4936
#4Mega_RatPosted 1/16/2013 1:55:35 AM
Argh4430 posted...
I'm curious as to why first-person RPGs are a deal-breaker to you (why you don't like not seeing your character on-screen, from what I can tell). Is it because it doesn't look natural or realistic? Or that playing FP games give you motion sickness (I know of one game like that that does give me motion sickness)?

For me, it's because I prefer seeing my character.

You already have art and 3D model of the character possible, give me the option of 3rd person.

First person games don't immerse me. I don't FEEL like it's me. 3rd person makes me feel I'm "watching" the characters adventure, and I prefer that I suppose.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#5ValzacardX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 11:38:49 AM
One of main reasons, is because when I play an RPG, it has to have good characters with a good design, and why have that and not see them in usually the first(sometimes second to story) battle?

With an FPS I don't really mind at all, and I LOVED Mirrors Edge, but a first person view is not what I personally like from an RPG.

IMO
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#6king_darksPosted 1/16/2013 11:41:25 AM
ValzacardX posted...
One of main reasons, is because when I play an RPG, it has to have good characters with a good design, and why have that and not see them in usually the first(sometimes second to story) battle?

With an FPS I don't really mind at all, and I LOVED Mirrors Edge, but a first person view is not what I personally like from an RPG.

IMO

I'm stealing your opinion and making it mine.
---
School days are back.
#71upsuperPosted 1/16/2013 11:54:46 AM(edited)
Every once in a while I see someone complain about this and I just don't get it. I personally don't like looking at the heroes all the time because monsters are just more interesting, and a first person makes it more immersive, IMO. Then again, I consider FPSs to be the death of gaming, so there's that.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#8Lelouch71Posted 1/16/2013 11:49:55 AM
At least you said that you are somewhat a fan. Because SMT1, 2, SJ, if..., and now 4 use first person. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 uses first person. The original Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers uses first person. Persona 1 also uses first person. As you can see well over half of the game in the megaten franchises use some form of first person. Hell even Nocturne has a first person mode.

A good game is a good game. It doesn't matter if it's in third or first person. I don't particularly like first person either but I still manage to enjoy SJ, P1, and both Devil Survivors. I also looking forward to playing Soul Hackers and SMT4.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#9Mega_RatPosted 1/16/2013 11:53:06 AM
Lelouch71 posted...
At least you said that you are somewhat a fan. Because SMT1, 2, SJ, if..., and now 4 use first person. Devil Survivor 1 and 2 uses first person. The original Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers uses first person. Persona 1 also uses first person. As you can see well over half of the game in the megaten franchises use some form of first person. Hell even Nocturne has a first person mode.

A good game is a good game. It doesn't matter if it's in third or first person. I don't particularly like first person either but I still manage to enjoy SJ, P1, and both Devil Survivors. I also looking forward to playing Soul Hackers and SMT4.

Same, just ugh ... first person.

If the games were decent, I wouldn't play them. I think Mirror's Edge is one of the only First Person games I enjoy.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#10dolphinmagePosted 1/16/2013 11:53:21 AM
ValzacardX posted...
Every time someone ask for a game recommendation, someone post a link to the 3DS SMT coming out, and it looks so awesome. Till you get to the battle scenes... I've even always been some what of an fan of the SMT name after seeing Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2(still trying to hunt these games down),and Nocturne(Dante FTW), and I finally have Persona 3 to beat before moving to P4G.

But I just can't do it. Not seeing my character on screen irks me like nothing else as far as gaming. Same reason I had to put down the DS Digimon games. Maybe this one will be different. Is there going to be a demo released?

Do you have access to amazon.com? http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Digital-Playstation-2/dp/B00008KTRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358361910&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+devil+saga

Anyway, I also have issues with first person games. I was able to play the dragon quest ds games but in general I much prefer to be able to see my player characters. I guess I just find the first person viewpoint to be a bit jarring. Where is my body? I should be able to look down and see it. Plus, especially for rpgs, it gives me a better idea of my character status. Hit points representing my character are just not very immersive for me. I'd prefer to see them actually attacking the enemy or using spells or even keeled over on the floor. But then, I've played my games from a third person viewpoint for years, so familiarity might have something to do with it.