I need to know who hires these guys at Gamestop!

#71n00bsaib0tPosted 1/18/2013 1:13:20 AM
I don't get how its unacceptable to expect Game Stop employees to know their job. That would be like it being acceptable for people in the military to not know how to fire a gun, or to get more specific it would be like saying its okay for people in aircraft maintenance to not know anything about the jets they are supposed to fix.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#72parKb5Posted 1/18/2013 2:57:16 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
I don't get how its unacceptable to expect Game Stop employees to know their job. That would be like it being acceptable for people in the military to not know how to fire a gun, or to get more specific it would be like saying its okay for people in aircraft maintenance to not know anything about the jets they are supposed to fix.

LOL Working at GameStop is not a professional job, it is a sales job. The employees there do not MAKE games or REPAIR games, they only sell them. Their one and only job is to persuade you to purchase games.

Oh and by the way, people who join the military often don't know how to shoot guns, they are taught that in training camp.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#73n00bsaib0tPosted 1/18/2013 3:54:48 AM
Oh and by the way, people who join the military often don't know how to shoot guns, they are taught that in training camp.

Yes, basic training, something we have to pass before we actually have a job. I see no reason why someone working at a Game Stop shouldn't know something about games. People can be taught, and if it is their job to persuade people to purchase games its 100% more helpful if they know something about the games. When I discovered Grandia II it was because I walked into a Game Crazy and said "I'm looking for an RPG, and I have a Dreamcast", the guy sold me Grandia II without even having to think about what games he should recommend, mentioned some stuff about how the characters don't stand still during battle, character development, humor, etc and got the sale. The person in TC's example didn't even know what Fire Emblem was, how are they qualified to persuade people to purchase games?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#74datopgamerPosted 1/18/2013 4:06:30 AM
The main thing GameStop as a company wants is to sell games. They look for people to be likable as well as being able to talk to people. I'm sure had the TC asked about a widely known game such as CoD or something along those lines the guy could've answered it. Instead the TC asked about a game with a select fanbase and the employee wasn't a fan. The employee tried to get enough information to answer the question and the TC left.

To those expecting the employee to know about all the games, do you know about all the games out. That's asking a lot of someone who gets limited hours and gets paid a low wage. It's like you expecting a Walmart employee who works in electronics to know about every piece of hardware and software there.

I don't know about everyone else here, but if I want to know about a game I research it myself. That way when I go into GameStop or wherever to buy a game I know what I want to buy.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.2ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, ASUS 24" monitor, 2x 23" Acer Monitors
#75n00bsaib0tPosted 1/18/2013 5:15:54 AM
Instead the TC asked about a game with a select fanbase and the employee wasn't a fan.

I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem either, but if you asked me about it I wouldn't answer "what is that?", so this is inexcusable.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#76packattackPosted 1/18/2013 5:37:52 AM(edited)
Makeveli_lives posted...
It's a niche game on a handheld device. How would you expect anyone outside of the fans of the series or the device itself to know what it is?

If anyone had heard of or played of smash bros. they know of Roy and Marth and, therefore, they know Fire Emblem.
---
Single and multiplayer video game highscore competition - over 450 games - www.cyberscore.me.uk
#77TinyTim123Posted 1/18/2013 8:00:14 AM
packattack posted...
Makeveli_lives posted...
It's a niche game on a handheld device. How would you expect anyone outside of the fans of the series or the device itself to know what it is?

If anyone had heard of or played of smash bros. they know of Roy and Marth and, therefore, they know Fire Emblem.

...has heard of Smash Brothers? I've HEARD of Smash Brothers, but now they have to know the cast of characters and from what games they originate too?
Do you hear yourself?
I've certainly heard of Smash Brothers, but I have never played it. I am now magically supposed to know the complete cast of characters, the games that cast of characters has been in AND any and all games that those characters are coming from now?

Look, it's not someone selling a car. A car salesman needs to be familiar with the features in the Chevy Malibu, the Chevy Camero, the Chevy whatever. It makes sense. It's also limited.
How many games are coming out in the next 3 months? A minimum wage employee is expected to know them all now, eh? Further, said employee is supposed to know, upon hearing the name alone, everything about it, it seems?
He didn't go into McDonald's and ask about a cheeseburger. or go into Home Depot and ask about a 2"x4" He went into a game store and asked about a game.
There are more games out than can be reasonably expected for someone to know off the top of their heads. To ANY of you out there, when's GTA5 come out? No checking, that's cheating! No, you can't ask me which system, you just have to know! Did you know the answer off the top of your head? Everyone who expected the clerk to know, you had better have. GTA is a better selling franchise here in the states than is Fire Emblem. Oh, quick, here is another one! When does Company of Heroes come out?

What do you mean "What's that, and what system is it for, you should just KNOW! YOU SHOULD KNOW!"
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#78SakurafanboyPosted 1/18/2013 8:06:22 AM
tw1g_007 posted...
Employees need to seriously get educated about games especially one that's seeing a release in a couple weeks.

Or, you could have said "Fire Emblem Awakening" and he'd look it up and tell you. You're in the wrong on this one, tw1g. GameStop did nothing wrong, you're just butthurt that not everyone knows Fire Emblem. Its a niche series that isn't a household name like Call of Duty, Pokemon, and Mario are.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#79stargazer64Posted 1/18/2013 8:09:51 AM
I know right. I went into Express the other day and was all like, "When are you going to have the Zip black peplum tank in stock?" and the lady looked at me and she was all like, "I'm not sure, let me look that up for you" and I just got disgusted and left.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#80GloryChaosPosted 1/18/2013 8:12:18 AM
I'm gonna assume that nobody here has ever shopped in the electronics section of Target before.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png