Should I go ahead and get a screen protector?

#21OoSubaruoOPosted 1/17/2013 7:56:20 PM
Spideymaster posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
confettistorm posted...
Hori screen protectors.

A worthy $10 investment.
I'm already considering replacing the top one because it's getting scratches from the bottom screen.

I used those...

If any dirt/dust was there when you originally put them on, that dirt and/or dust would have stuck to the screen protectors, which is why I advise cleaning your screens off completely before attempting to put the protectors on.

If you clean the screen off well and put the protectors on correctly, you shouldn't have any issues. I cleaned both screens off completely and managed to get both protectors on without any air bubbles (The few on the top screen I was able to rub out).

Yes, it does require a bit of effort and patience, but if you're careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

Also, Hori screen protectors are sold in two packs (1 top and 1 bottom screen protector) for the XL on Ebay for 2 and 3 dollars brand new. Dunno why you'd ever pay 10 bucks for them.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Hori+XL+screen+protector&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Clearly $2-3 right there.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#22OoSubaruoOPosted 1/17/2013 7:59:52 PM(edited)
90sRetroGaming posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
I've gone years with my DSLite without a single screen protector on it. Not one scratch at all.

90sRetroGaming posted...
I would honestly go against the advice of others saying no. the screens are not made with scratch and ding free materials...

You don't really need them. They're also a pain to apply.

After seeing my friends 3DS (after normal use) and all the demo units i respectfully beg to differ. peace of mind is one of the best feelings in the world ;). they're not to hard to apply if you've done it before.

I currently have non-hori's applied to my 3DS XL that i got on Amazon (3-pack of Insten brand from eForCity for $4.27) and they're amazing. non-adhesive and were easy to apply. just washed my hands really well as i normally do, dried them and applied those screen protectors as soon as i removed my new XL from it's packaging.

Took only a few minutes of my time and i don't get anxious whenever i use my 3DS :). feels good! ;). i couldn't even imagine playing Kid Icarus or Theatrhytm Final Fantasy without them! O_o.

Demo units will always get scratched. People are rough with those. I never worry about my screens getting scratched, seeing how I'm always careful and never use the stylus. And yes, they're easy to apply when the system is brand new. Mine has dirt in the corners which makes it a pain.

I just don't want to bother waste the cash.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#2390sRetroGamingPosted 1/17/2013 8:25:01 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
I've gone years with my DSLite without a single screen protector on it. Not one scratch at all.

90sRetroGaming posted...
I would honestly go against the advice of others saying no. the screens are not made with scratch and ding free materials...

You don't really need them. They're also a pain to apply.

After seeing my friends 3DS (after normal use) and all the demo units i respectfully beg to differ. peace of mind is one of the best feelings in the world ;). they're not to hard to apply if you've done it before.

I currently have non-hori's applied to my 3DS XL that i got on Amazon (3-pack of Insten brand from eForCity for $4.27) and they're amazing. non-adhesive and were easy to apply. just washed my hands really well as i normally do, dried them and applied those screen protectors as soon as i removed my new XL from it's packaging.

Took only a few minutes of my time and i don't get anxious whenever i use my 3DS :). feels good! ;). i couldn't even imagine playing Kid Icarus or Theatrhytm Final Fantasy without them! O_o.

Demo units will always get scratched. People are rough with those. I never worry about my screens getting scratched, seeing how I'm always careful and never use the stylus. And yes, they're easy to apply when the system is brand new. Mine has dirt in the corners which makes it a pain.

I just don't want to bother waste the cash.

For not one game?!?.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#24SpideymasterPosted 1/17/2013 8:36:14 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
Spideymaster posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
confettistorm posted...
Hori screen protectors.

A worthy $10 investment.
I'm already considering replacing the top one because it's getting scratches from the bottom screen.

I used those...

If any dirt/dust was there when you originally put them on, that dirt and/or dust would have stuck to the screen protectors, which is why I advise cleaning your screens off completely before attempting to put the protectors on.

If you clean the screen off well and put the protectors on correctly, you shouldn't have any issues. I cleaned both screens off completely and managed to get both protectors on without any air bubbles (The few on the top screen I was able to rub out).

Yes, it does require a bit of effort and patience, but if you're careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

Also, Hori screen protectors are sold in two packs (1 top and 1 bottom screen protector) for the XL on Ebay for 2 and 3 dollars brand new. Dunno why you'd ever pay 10 bucks for them.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Hori+XL+screen+protector&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Clearly $2-3 right there.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150895938611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3973wt_1139

I bought these. They're Hori brand, albeit in different packaging and imported from Japan. (They're actually even cheaper if you purchase them from their Japanese shipping location - I simply bought them from their American location because they shipped faster.)

Not sure what the difference is between the ones I got and the American/English ones, as they're from the same company, and the ones I got are great.
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#25nintendoggerPosted 1/17/2013 9:12:23 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
confettistorm posted...
Hori screen protectors.

A worthy $10 investment.

I used those...

Same thing happened to me. My Hori came with a scratch on it, I flipped and thought it was my actual 3DS, took it off and haven't looked back. I do have bottom screen protectors. I'd say my issue could've been caused by me, or maybe not. I just know, user error aside, I had a bad experience with the Hori screen protectors.

I will say this though, I use the white film the 3DS came with to protect it from scratches. So you're gonna need something.
---
Rah.