I'm sure this has been asked before, but why do demos have limited uses?

#101Grand KirbyPosted 1/19/2013 4:57:49 PM(edited)
Oh but it almost has. Reading this very thread there is a poster who played halo wars almost to the point of being burnt out by it. If this isn't enough consider what I said. Demo takes the core assets of the full game and allowed it to be played. Those that like it will play this and enjoy it however the content in the full game might not be compelling enough to buy it. So why buy it if they can enjoy the free portion for now? Limit it and they'll have to buy the full version to get any enjoyment. Don't start assuming such things when there is evidence to the contray.

I haven't played the Halo Wars demo, but demos consist of short experiences of the game, and lock off most of the content. The only way you're going to get burnt out by a demo is if you play so much you tired of it, not because you've experienced enough of the game. That would say a lot more about the game than the number of demo uses.

The unlimited sample was the analogy. A rather apt one I believe.

It was a terrible one. There aren't any additional content to food. You eat it. That's it. It's completely different from playing a video game.

That 15 times larger. Fire emblem demo lasted me that long on lunatic. So did mutant mudds and kingdom hearts 3d and heroes of ruin.

Kingdom Hearts was a tutorial, two rooms and a boss, with no customization. It wasn't anything close to what the full game has to offer. I haven't played the full games of the other ones, but they still weren't more than a small handful of levels at most. And I'd like to remind you that comment was in response to your claims that demos are longer than full-length movies, which none of those were.

No they aren't. Video games allow exploration. Movies don't. Video games allows multiple way to challenge a problem. Movies don't. Video games allow customization. Movies don't. Video games allows interactions. Movies don't. There is far, far more content in a demo then a trailer. It isn't even funny.

So that just makes a full game much more valuable than a demo. Demos are extremely stringent and don't allow much exploration, customization, or any of the things contained in a full game. There is more content in a demo than a trailer, but not as much as in any full game.

How so? Yeah the full game offer much more content then the demo but this doesn't specify how much content is in a demo in the first place. Reading the above is a indicator on what a demo can include. Companies that are fairly generous in what they allow can offer quite a bit to be demo'ed. People can milk a 25 hr game for up to 250 hours. I know I did this with Tp screwing around.

Well, there are some demos that are pretty long, and some that are short. But if you want to get specific, then I will say that none of the 3DS demos come close to being overly generous with their content, so the limits are pretty unnecessary. Which is funny, because I've played some demos that have included a lot of content (the Dragon Quest 8 demo is pretty huge for a demo), and they've done fine without limits. I don't recall any major problems with the majority of people avoiding buying other games that have unlimited uses with their demos.
---
Okay, I rolled a 14. What's that mean? Hsu
That you're a cheater. This is a 12-sided die. Chan
#102Grand KirbyPosted 1/19/2013 4:57:27 PM(edited)
I'm sorry but I deleted some stuff >.< hope it wasn't anything important. Looking at the Fe demo... I got 5 hr out of it already LOL. Using myself as a example let say I'm tight on money and could only afford fire emblem or dark souls. Personally I'll kick fire emblem ass to the curve and play the crap out of dark souls. However I'll play the demo to tide me over untill I can purchase it. Now in this instance I played all of the FE uses. I realllllllly want the game. I need to play it so the full copy is more appealing then it was before.

Well, if you're saying that if the FE demo had unlimited uses that would be enough for you to not need to buy the game, then good for you, I suppose. I think most people wouldn't be satisfied by that if they really liked it, though.

They don't lose anything from doing it either, and this way they create incentive.

There is no incentive created from it. Since they don't lose anything either way, it's just over-reactionary.

I'd also like to address the bolded part. Can you prove this? Can you prove that not one person, nor even a sizable percentage of gamers, would be perfectly satisfied playing the same section over and over? If you can't, you see the dilemma from the provider's point of view.

What a weird argument. You're right, I can't prove that there isn't one person in the entire world who wouldn't be satisfied playing two levels endlessly over buying the actual game. I can't prove a lot of things. I can't prove Bigfoot doesn't exist (one Bigfoot, in the sizable percentage of wilderness it could hiding in...), but that doesn't mean from anybody's point of view it will be worth preparing yourself for Bigfoot attacks.
---
Okay, I rolled a 14. What's that mean? Hsu
That you're a cheater. This is a 12-sided die. Chan
#103king_darksPosted 1/19/2013 4:57:52 PM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
Faelor posted...
Grand Kirby posted...
People keep looking at this issue from the POV of the consumer, and not the provider. By limiting the demo, the provider gives incentive to the consumer to buy the full product. Even if the consumer doesn't buy it, they can't enjoy something from the full product forever. This may not result in a sale, but it never results in a lost sale, because it's free to distribute but doesn't cost them because it's limited. This is most likely what providers think.

The problem is limiting a demo will not result in any more sales than an unlimited demo, nor would an unlimited demo lose any more sales by being so. It's a demo. People are either going to buy the game or not after playing it and that's it. No one is going to sate themselves forever on the demo by itself. So being overprotective of it is pointless. The provider won't lose anything from not doing it.

They don't lose anything from doing it either, and this way they create incentive. I'd also like to address the bolded part. Can you prove this? Can you prove that not one person, nor even a sizable percentage of gamers, would be perfectly satisfied playing the same section over and over? If you can't, you see the dilemma from the provider's point of view.

No, they take away incentive. People will feel it's a waste to use up a use when they don't know if they're going to enjoy that use that: that use is better saved for when you're certain you're going to enjoy that use. So, the demo gets left untouched, collecting dust.

Instead, if a demo is unlimited, people will immediately try as there's no loss. If they like it enough, they will buy it. If they don't like it enough, they wouldn't buy it anyway, but they might still continue playing the demo, getting more and more persuaded until they finally crack. A limited demo also lacks this "crack"-factor, as a limited demo has to be played in moderation instead of getting addicted to it to finally crack and get the complete game.

This is a stupid line of reasoning. Name one person you know in real life that is afraid to use 1 out of 30 use. This is something only a person who would be on hoarders would do.
---
School days are back.
#104FaelorPosted 1/19/2013 5:02:09 PM
Then I'm done. Anyone who refuses to look at the other side of the argument and insist on their own side will not find any answers here. Me continuing on would just be repeating the same argument over and over. I'd also like to point out I never supported Nintendo or whoever for limiting their demos; I simply stated the possible reasons for their doing so.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3437 3093 1478
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 4599 7588 5979
#105PaukenPosted 1/19/2013 5:15:46 PM
pbandjames posted...
Super Slash posted...
I don't understand this decision at all. What's the point of it? It's not like I'm gonna play a demo 30 times anyway, but it's the principle of the matter.

If it doesn't matter, why do you care?

I don't even get why this is a problem. It's a demo. It's meant to be a fun little taste of a game. You play it a few times, then you decide if you want the game. Limiting doesn't even matter much. If you play a demo a bunch of times without wanting to buy the game, that's just pointless in itself.

Do you guys not use Steam? Steam limits demos. They had a promotion about a month ago where you could try Endless Space on the weekend for a bit, but when the weekend was up your use ended. Nintendo's not the first to do it, nor shall it be the last. It's just how the industry is changing. The time where you could get demo CDs for unlimited play is pretty much over.

Plus, the developers decide how many times you can use the demo. So you have to blame them as well.

Yeah, no @ the bolder statement. You're thinking of Free Weekends, which give you the FULL game for the weekend. Actual demos lack limits, so that you can play a demo as much as you want. Obviously some demos have built in limits, but it's not decided by Steam.
#106RazieruPosted 1/19/2013 5:32:14 PM
Goodness gracious these 3DS YES! Boys are still trying to put a silver lining in their attempt to justify why something already limited in nature needs to be limited even more? Alright, time to do what I do and rip this pathetic "logic" of theirs apart. Here we go.

iMURDAu posted...
You use the words pessimistic willful ignorance like you know what they mean.

No; it looks like you became the new Webster to those terms. Just keep trying at....whatever it is you're attempting.

And I'm not trolling you. I just speak the truth.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?

But thanks for quoting my entire post and attempting to dismiss it with a phrase you would like to fit in the context of what is going on here but obviously does not. It lets me know I'm not only correct but that I've gotten in your head.

Considering the fact that Sir_Haxor effortlessly ripped that pathetic grocery store "logic" of yours apart, you couldn't be more deluded by your hilarity.

king_darks posted...

Well that was unreadable

You mean your incessant bellowing of condescending fail? Guys, In the Dark here loves the beat that comes from his drums; only for it to fall flat on deaf ears. Keep convincing yourself to believe the flat-minded drivel you keep making a broken record out of.

@Sir_Haxor- The purpose of free samples is to entice others into buying the full product not giving away free pieces of food/ games for others to enjoy.

There's that ignorant "logic" again. How does a snippet of software or anything for that matter convince one to buy the full version? Oh, I get it what you're saying:

"People are too dumb to otherwise make up their minds if they want a full product or not, so let's come off with this condescending bs and defend a bunch of people who make such stupid limitations and also have yet to pay me a single dime to be their boy scout."

^ Yup; makes perfect....sense?

Being a business is not a charity by any means and realistically 30 uses is all that will ever be needed to formulate a opinion and properly enjoy a game. I'm not trying to argue that having less= equal to more.

There it is guys. People like this are why you have to be cursed with the limitations you get; even with something as trivial as a damn demo. Keep up with that boy scout creed, bro.

Nobody is trying to argue this point. However a limitation that won't realistically affect a potential buyer isn't significant enough to start insulting defenders of this policy due to your own condescending attitude and lack of maturity.

Looks like the preacher didn't practice his sermon.

Unless you can give a realistic situation where 30 demo uses will not ever be enough to accomplish the goal it was made to then honestly all you're doing is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Unless you can actually formulate a concrete reason, for once, why a fragment of media or anything for that matter, that's once again, already limited in nature and has no real value out of just being used, then come back without this hypocrisy.

You 3DS boys act like incessantly using demos will actually hurt ANYONE; let alone the companies that do it. If this bs and dumb logic of "limiting DEMOS in an attempt to persuade the consumer to buy the full product" is your only argument, then it's back to scratch for all of you with this zero dimensional and flat-minded nonsense.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#107RazieruPosted 1/19/2013 5:38:11 PM(edited)
king_darks posted...
WTF are trying to say? There are demos With limited uses so those whom wouldn't buy the game can't enjoy a free asset forever.

PS1 demos say hi, In the Dark. Also, I don't recall them or any demos for that matter forcing me to make up my mind. Again, less ignorance and get more educated on what you are still attempting to plead.

Even by your own rushed whining, you know it's free (see bold), as you clearly state! That's all the more reason to actually MAKE IT FREE, not LIMITED!

Capitalism. That all I have to say.

Well, that explains it all about you. Hey guys, it's Reggie Fils Amie on the other end! Do you not see the greasy chin marks from him bellowing his condescending fails?

Dude, stop it already. I know it is embarrassing to keep trying at this thing you're doing. I even recall one post where a guy flat out admitted that he's a die hard Nintendo fanboy, but won't even defend the stupid notion to limit demos. So now, all that's left is you babbling that corporate and "It's business" bs.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#108king_darksPosted 1/19/2013 5:44:33 PM
Grand Kirby posted...

I haven't played the Halo Wars demo, but demos consist of short experiences of the game,. The only way you're going to get burnt out by a demo is if you play so much you tired of it, not because you've experienced enough of the game. That would say a lot more about the game than the number of demo uses.

It would say you enjoyed it so much that you played it to the point where the core mechanics has grew tiring and you would rather not play more of the same at the moment. That is what being represented here. If demo's was limited this situation would never happen.

It was a terrible one. There aren't any additional content to food. You eat it. That's it.

You missed the point again my friend. It is about getting a taste or sample of the larger product.

One tiny piece of chicken=/=The whole baked chicken.

A chocolate chip of a cookie =/= A baker dozen of cookies.

If you're cut off from the sample you have to resort to the whole project.

Kingdom Hearts was a tutorial, two rooms and a boss, with no customization. It wasn't anything close to what the full game has to offer.

For someone that owned the full game it had the main infrastructure of the game down to a T. The gameplay in the demo is pretty much the same as the full version. The difference is Riku is included , there is of course FAR more then just 2 rooms, and your combat options are far more numerous. I didn't include flick rush, secret bosses and a ton of content but my point still stands.

I haven't played the full games of the other ones, but they still weren't more than a small handful of levels at most. And I'd like to remind you that comment was in response to your claims that demos are longer than full-length movies, which none of those were.

I failed to see the point of adding the last section as I never made that claim. All I did was illiterate the differences between games and movies and why you can't compare the two. For the other section read the above. It has the core mechanics for a person to enjoy.

So that just makes a full game much more valuable than a demo. Demos are extremely stringent and don't allow much exploration, customization, or any of the things contained in a full game. There is more content in a demo than a trailer, but not as much as in any full game.

Allows enough to keep you occupied for awhile as I already stated. There is still a fair amount to experiment with and read the above once again reguarding the core mechanics in demo.

Well, there are some demos that are pretty long, and some that are short. But if you want to get specific, then I will say that none of the 3DS demos come close to being overly generous with their content, so the limits are pretty unnecessary. Which is funny, because I've played some demos that have included a lot of content (the Dragon Quest 8 demo is pretty huge for a demo), and they've done fine without limits.

Big demos bring a problem though. You can derive hours of fun from a small section of the game. While yes you are going to eventually purchase the full game if you enjoy it enough but the demo can tide you over for quite awhile considering demos's carrying the core mechanics of the game. Repetitive I know :/ but hey it true, correct and is the reason why demo's can get alot of play time. The limitations act to work as a cut off so if you want you're gaming fil you'll have to get the full version.

I don't recall any major problems with the majority of people avoiding buying other games that have unlimited uses with their demos.

I don't recall any problems that limited demo usage has dissuaded buyers at all even through all this board whining.
---
School days are back.
#109king_darksPosted 1/19/2013 5:50:35 PM
* Sees razieru responding to my posts. Sees they are laden with insults.*. I'm staying the hell away fom that troll trap. Anyway this pretty much devolved into a endurance match that consists of

-Ad hominem
-Mis-representing of the opposition
- Deep denial
- Skipping post.

Goodbye train wreck :[ All those interested in arguing still Pm me. ]:
---
School days are back.
#110CrimsonRoyalPosted 1/19/2013 5:53:00 PM
king_darks posted...
* Sees razieru responding to my posts. Sees they are laden with insults.*

Really? All I saw was pwnage.