I'm sure this has been asked before, but why do demos have limited uses?

#181Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:29:53 PM
LOLRIFAN posted...
again baha is being fallacious.
patience has nothing to do with it if your waiting years for something. tell the earthbound fans to be patient i dare you.

besides you STILL won't comment on the elephant in the room,what if the demo gets released and the full game gets cancelled(again this ALMOST happened with megaman legends,and it was even gonna be a pay to play demo...)

Demos are not normally released years before a product is completed though, I can't even think of that many. At best you wait a few months.

And honestly if a game get's canceled then that sucks but having a demo for a canceled game does no one any good to begin with.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#182RazieruPosted 1/20/2013 8:36:26 PM(edited)
McMarbles posted...
You're entitled to what you pay for.

You're entitled because you're the customer, and you're always right in a setting like this. How else are they going to be fruitful without abiding by that logic, genius?

You don't pay for demos.

You DO pay for games.

So, again with this stale flat-minded thinking. I suppose offering something that's inherently FREE should be half-assed because you're not paying for it? Ah, to proclaim that willful ignorance and flawed "logic" once more.

I should be surprised that I would have to explain this to you. So why am I not?

I asked myself that same question in every one of your senseless posts I ripped apart. Oh, the irony.

*sigh* Welp, back to ignoring you.

Like you were ever ignoring me to begin with, liar. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to pretend by spewing the usual "Herp derp, I'm ignoring you because you mad me mad" babble, like many others have bsed with many times before.

Also, you say back to ignoring me? Well, thanks for the complement, dear. It's good to be so infectious that I can effortlessly convince you to "un-ignore me" like that. I'll wait for another reply from you down the road to once again contradict the bs you attempt to sound so convincing with.

Trying to actually have a conversation with you is a waste of time.

Yet, you devote even more of your precious time out of your busy schedule to attempt such a feat.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#183VyersPosted 1/20/2013 8:36:20 PM
Baha05 posted...
Vyers posted...
Why should only one fanbase have to wait? Are you saying that you do not understand how difficult it is to wait for a game?

Well the fanbase is going to have to wait regardless of limits or not anyhow and honestly I have to feel sorry for a fan that plays a demo so much since there honestly not a lot of demos that do much different that warrants that many plays.

My point is this is only a minor issue at best and only really die hard fans or people that enjoy the same level over and over again well past 30 usages would turn it into some huge deal.

You seriously perceive no difference between "waiting for a game" and "waiting for a game and being able to explore the various nuances and experimenting with it"?

Scenario:

Demo comes out one month or longer before the game is released

Player downloads and plays demo; plays it once per day - something a person would do if they really anticipated a game.

Calling those that play demos die hard fans is ridiculous. Is it hard to play a demo? No. It's extremely accessible, more acceptable than most of the games a person may own because it's right on the software. I played Just Cause 2, Portal, Final Fantasy XII, etc. many more times than 30 because I couldn't wait for them.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
(one of the) Latest YouTube uploads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YCQxHyo0UQ - Pokemon Snap, Part 1
#184RazieruPosted 1/20/2013 8:37:39 PM
Baha gets you guys every time with his narcissistic superiority complex.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#185iMURDAuPosted 1/20/2013 8:37:48 PM
Razieru, when have I been incoherent? Everyone else seems to be able to understand the words I type. Again you throw out insults with words you don't know the meaning of without, as usual, making a single point to back what you claim is such a bad thing.

Oh wait its "capitalism is bad". Get a career.

"You claim I'm mad at your arse bleeding incoherence"

Well isn't it obvious that instead of debating you use gibberish phrases like "arse bleeding incoherence". You do seem rather upset that I basically keep standing in front of you making my point over and over and over and over and over while you rage over not having a logical comeback.

"My point isn't that it will hurt the company. My point is you're a loser and need to earn some cash if you get upset about a demo having limited uses. Games aren't expensive. Limiting uses of a demo is not the end of the world but apparently its worse than region lock to the fools arguing against it."

^ The crux of my argument. What is yours?

"it hurts the developers and video game companies to have unlimited demos. As a result, people will never buy the full games they make because of those damn unlimited demos. Damn you, eon demos! Damn YOU!"

Or is it: "Limiting something ALREADY LIMITED in nature won't help or hurt a person's decision to buy the full damn version, so why limit something so trivial at all?"

They limit it because they can. They run the service as they see fit. They own the business. Deal with it. It costs how much to download a demo again? No financial harm = nothing to complain about. And you don't even own a 3DS son, that's what is so sad about your butthurt. But go ahead and keep calling me a troll because I've only pwned you on every page I've appeared in this topic.

Best point in the topic was the 2nd post though.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
3DS FC: 1977-1514-4983, PM if you add me
#186Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:39:56 PM
Vyers posted...
You seriously perceive no difference between "waiting for a game" and "waiting for a game and being able to explore the various nuances and experimenting with it"?

Scenario:

Demo comes out one month or longer before the game is released

Player downloads and plays demo; plays it once per day - something a person would do if they really anticipated a game.

Calling those that play demos die hard fans is ridiculous. Is it hard to play a demo? No. It's extremely accessible, more acceptable than most of the games a person may own because it's right on the software. I played Just Cause 2, Portal, Final Fantasy XII, etc. many more times than 30 because I couldn't wait for them.

Who the hell plays a demo once a day? I mean seriously who does that? And I'm not calling those who plays demos die hard fans, I'm calling those who CONSTANTLY plays a demo well beyond the demon a die hard fan. Because let's face it most demos aren't going to have the option to transfer stuff from the demo over to the main game, and most demos aren't going to provide you with hours of gameplay. At best the are 15 to 30 minutes if lucky of one part of the game.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#187Xenesis XenonPosted 1/20/2013 8:41:33 PM
Razieru posted...
when really you're just a spoilt child who is throwing a tantrum because you can't have your own way.

*spoiled

I'd just like to point out that spoilt is the correct spelling in non-American English.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#188VyersPosted 1/20/2013 8:44:41 PM
Who? I guess "fanbases" aren't a thing. Playing a demo, a short demo, once a day is something that requires VERY little effort. There was a huge, bustling community devoted exclusively to discovering every single detail of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The Portal 2 reveal was accomplished by a HIGHLY obtuse ARG that involved people converting audio files to image files, which revealed ASCII images of content from Portal 2. Both of these were huge movements to discover content through highly detailed ways. If people played and examined demos in as great of detail as SSBB and Portal fans examined those two games, the demo usage would have expired three times over.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
(one of the) Latest YouTube uploads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YCQxHyo0UQ - Pokemon Snap, Part 1
#189LOLRIFANPosted 1/20/2013 8:45:37 PM
not really because a small snipit of a game is better then no game period.
and the fact is a few times i bought a game based on a demo,then wound up hating the full game. (pokemon rumble on wii ware and the denpa men) had i actually played the demo more then once i wound have seen that.

so let me ask you this is not just as possible to play a demo exactly 30 times,like it but hate the full game?

the fact is the MORE you play a demo the easier it is to make a full version of the game worthwhile/not worthwhile

besides the whole argument that we don't NEED demoes,and therefore aren't allowed to whine about them falls flat.

games don't need good graphics,ingaging plot,online play,or sometimes don't even need gameplay period(visual novels come to mind i.e disgaea infinite) yet you cannot deny these things make a better,and costumers requesting these features is the reason we get them.

any company that think "how cares what the costumer thinks,as long we make billions of dollars in profit" needs to go back to business school.

you mistreat your costumers eventually they'll stop buying from you and eventually that WILL lead to your downfall
---
I am a furry AND PROUD to admit it.
Also guess what I AM SMASHKING84
#190Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:56:19 PM
Vyers posted...
Who? I guess "fanbases" aren't a thing. Playing a demo, a short demo, once a day is something that requires VERY little effort. There was a huge, bustling community devoted exclusively to discovering every single detail of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The Portal 2 reveal was accomplished by a HIGHLY obtuse ARG that involved people converting audio files to image files, which revealed ASCII images of content from Portal 2. Both of these were huge movements to discover content through highly detailed ways. If people played and examined demos in as great of detail as SSBB and Portal fans examined those two games, the demo usage would have expired three times over.

I get fan bases but let's remember that fan bases are also well borderline crazy in some cases. I'm pretty sure they would play it non stop in just a day alone. Dragging out a demo by playing it once each day just seems unrealistic unless you have strict curfews. Hell we have people that could examine a demo or even a video in a day or even an hour.

@LOLRIFAN Not really, if anything it should piss people off more that the game was canceled then the demo getting a limit because let's face it, with demos in the 7th and 8th generation it pretty rare to ever see a demo released a year before the final product.

And yeah it's possible to play a demo and hate the full game, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the complaining makes the issue at hand seem far bigger then it really is. If there was a top 10 list of issues the 3DS had, demos would be like 10 or lower because limiting them to 30 uses doesn't really hurt anyone except maybe those that play it once a day or so, r when the limit is like 5 to 15. I mean in the end is it really that big of an issue? Is waiting out a month or so before a game gets released really going to kill anyone? Especially in the Internet era where finding information is easy as hell?
---