I'm sure this has been asked before, but why do demos have limited uses?

#31Justice98405Posted 1/18/2013 6:59:45 AM
Anyone ACTUALLY played a 3DS demo 30 times?
Anyone?!?!?!?!?
Raise your hands everyone!
These topics pop up now and then, and they're STUPID. If you actually played a single demo 30 times and need to play it a 31st time, there's something wrong with you, not with Nintendo or the developer of the game.
Play a demo once or twice, see if you want to buy the game, period.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#32IHeartMetroidPosted 1/18/2013 7:00:58 AM
Justice98405 has not read the topic...
#33RazieruPosted 1/18/2013 7:47:20 AM
Yup, these extremist fanboys and their ignorance keeps bellowing trying to justify something so incredibly STUPID and unnecessary. If it's just a demo as you say and it doesn't matter, then that's all the more reason to not put a LIMIT on such a tiny portion of the FULL THING. I guess you all think the whole "willfully ignorant" ploy you all are parading around with is cute huh?

I'll supply ANOTHER analogy that rips your flat-minded "logic" apart.

Suppose a company offered you some free gas for your car for trying out their products, but LIMITED you to go one place and back home to 30 days/uses of that "free" gas. I suppose you all would be a sucker for that too huh?

Rest my case.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#34thompsontalker7Posted 1/18/2013 8:03:37 AM
Is there no way to just delete the demo, redownload it, and get 30 more uses?
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#35GloryChaosPosted 1/18/2013 8:12:30 AM
"Here's a free sample. You can only take one."
"What the hell? Why is there a limit on the number of free samples I can take? They're samples. I'll decide if I want to buy the product after I'm done taking as many free samples as I want. Thanks."

I don't know why there's a limit. All of the developers and publishers seem to think the limits are a good idea for some reason. Save for Square Enix.

thompsontalker7 posted...

You can. My brother and I have done that multiple times. This kind of topic belongs on e WiiU board.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#36RazieruPosted 1/18/2013 8:17:35 AM(edited)
Whether there is or isn't (I don't know for sure; never tried it when I did have a 3DS), why should you have to resort to such a cop out?

I feel like I'm still patting them on the back for such a dumb and UNNECESSARY decision. Again, like the TC says, it's a matter of principle. Don't attempt to fix what isn't broken yet again. It's just a demo, so why limit it? Who cares how many times someone plays it?

If they play it five times or have an itching to play it 400 times, why should the uses matter? Then again, you got people around here still foolishly believing a demo really has a bearing on making someone's mind up on whether or not they'll buy the full version of the game, so the limit is necessary to them.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#37Petey_MeanisPosted 1/18/2013 8:22:57 AM

You can. My brother and I have done that multiple times. This kind of topic belongs on e WiiU board.

you can't.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif
#38RazieruPosted 1/18/2013 8:30:39 AM(edited)
GloryChaos posted...
"Here's a free sample. You can only take one."
"What the hell? Why is there a limit on the number of free samples I can take? They're samples. I'll decide if I want to buy the product after I'm done taking as many free samples as I want. Thanks."

^ This; oh so much.

I don't know why there's a limit. All of the developers and publishers seem to think the limits are a good idea for some reason. Save for Square Enix.

There's a limit because just like every other dumb ass idea they are praised for and therefore allowed to get away with, is supported by people like the ones on this board for example who incessantly defend such stupid crap. That's why Nintendo and their dark ages compatriots can never really move forward and at least be modern, let alone truly give gamers what they want without pissing them off with all kinds of stupid limitations as such.
---
#39Petey_MeanisPosted 1/18/2013 8:29:52 AM

Ah, so you can after all. I figured you could resort to such a cop out to mask the idiocy of the developer for applying such a farce to a damn demo. On that note, I guess you really do have unlimited uses on demos.

except you can't. i've deleted and redownloaded demos and the usage doesn't reset.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif
#40GloryChaosPosted 1/18/2013 8:30:51 AM
If you want to argue based on principle, then you must realize that you're saying that it doesn't make any sense for a demo to have limits. It's a demo. It's going to have limits. They always have limits. They've had limitations to how you played them back on the playstation and they have them now. Is it worth it arguing for this feature as if it forces people to purchase the game? No because that's a case by case thing that can't be argued for to begin with. Is it worth it to argue against this as if it's wrong? No.

I found it dumber that the demo version of fire emblem forced you to play on casual mode and restricted you to using the male avatar. Those are limitations to the gameplay that don't make sense to me at all, as opposed to only being able to play the prologue and chapter 1 thirty times.

Petey_Meanis posted...

you can't.

We did with the Spiderman and KH demo. Guess this was a while back then. The WiiU never reset them but I recall the 3ds doing it. I know I'm not alone here either.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png