Considering a purchase, how is the downloadable library? Virtual console?

#1Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/17/2013 7:24:07 PM
I am considering buying, half on the hope that things get better. But if I buy now I'm gonna want to lean on the downloadables games for a bit. How strong is the 3DS VC at the moment?
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#2RazieruPosted 1/17/2013 7:28:21 PM
It's GARBAGE. Unless you are okay with a bunch of black and white Game Boy games you can play in color and at a better resolution on your GBA SP, very few NES and Game Gear games, a **** load of shovel-ware getting blindly praised, and LIMITED demos, then you might want to save your money.

Also, the E-Shop gets a worthwhile game in like....every six months at a time.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#3Sain_of_Caelin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 7:36:24 PM
Can't you play the games at their original resolution? But other than that it sounds terrible. What are the prices like?
---
#4RazieruPosted 1/17/2013 7:42:05 PM
Sain_of_Caelin posted...
Can't you play the games at their original resolution?

Unlike DS games, no. What ****s everything up visual wise is that damn blur filter, which is there to prevent pixellation that would otherwise occur for games that aren't 3DS games, according to Nintendo.

But other than that it sounds terrible. What are the prices like?

The prices are a rip off essentially. Nearly every piece of software (GB games mostly) there is decades old, but they still hold retail-esque value. Let's just say don't expect to pay $1.00 and under for the software as you would with most IoS games. The average game runs you from $4.00 and up. Not TOO bad I guess.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#5ItemBreakPosted 1/17/2013 7:46:25 PM
You can play VC GB games at their original resolution. Just hold select like you would for a DS game. It'll have a GB or GBC border around it too.
#6RazieruPosted 1/17/2013 7:47:58 PM
^ But even better on a GBA/SP because they have no blur filter to make the visuals look like your eyes are always dilated, or the "dilated eye" effect as I like to call it.
---
#7Sain_of_Caelin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 7:49:23 PM
You can play VC GB games at their original resolution. Just hold select like you would for a DS game. It'll have a GB or GBC border around it too.

Is that GBA games as well or just GB(C)?

The prices are a rip off essentially. Nearly every piece of software (GB games mostly) there is decades old, but they still hold retail-esque value. Let's just say don't expect to pay $1.00 and under for the software as you would with most IoS games. The average game runs you from $4.00 and up. Not TOO bad I guess.

What is your favorite game on the 3DS?
---
#8RazieruPosted 1/17/2013 7:56:03 PM
Sain_of_Caelin posted...

GBA games aren't available on the VC. That option mentioned is only for GB/GBC games.

Well, I have no favorites on the 3DS due to it not meeting my expectations, but these are the ones I feel are worth getting:

> Super Mario 3D Land (not retail price)
> Resident Evil Revelations (not retail price)
> Kid Icarus Uprising
> Shinobi (not retail price)
---
#9pbandjamesPosted 1/17/2013 8:20:40 PM
Sain_of_Caelin posted...
Can't you play the games at their original resolution? But other than that it sounds terrible. What are the prices like?

Yeah, the VC isn't too strong right now. It's got a few things here and there, but it needs improvement. The prices aren't terrible, but they're not amazing deals either. About $4.00 for the VC games that matter.

Nintendo does have it's ClubNintendo service though, and that gives you free games for points you get from many retail games. The games aren't always stellar, but they're free. Sometimes it's stuff like Super Metroid.

Razieru posted...

Well, I have no favorites on the 3DS due to it not meeting my expectations, but these are the ones I feel are worth getting:

> Super Mario 3D Land (not retail price)
> Resident Evil Revelations (not retail price)
> Kid Icarus Uprising
> Shinobi (not retail price)

I'm curious: why not retail price for REvelations? Is it some Capcom stance? Because games like Revelations should be supported to show Capcom that those are good games; things like RE6 are not.

And Shinobi can be found for around $10-$20 retail. For $10, there's no reason to actively seek it used if you see retail for that price.

Super Mario 3D Land, I guess so. It was fun. It fell a little flat for me.

I would add Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Virtue's Last Reward to that list (to my tastes), but I understand that story-oriented puzzle games and room-escape-visual-novels aren't everybody's cup of tea. But it depends on TCs preferences.
---
Game news is the best news.
#10KneekickerPosted 1/17/2013 9:17:05 PM
Sain_of_Caelin posted...

GBA games are only available to ambassadors like me who bought it before the $80 price drop back in 2011.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 PSN: ansonip2000
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.