Looking to get a 3DS soon. Recommend any games?

#1QueskerPosted 1/17/2013 8:35:30 PM
Now, I am pretty sure that there has been at least one topic that's like this. But whatever. Anyhow, I am planning on getting one soon, thanks in no small part to a recent cel-breaking, if y'know what I mean. I haven't decided on what version I want to get (most say XL, but I've read some flaws with the XL that may personally bother me much more than most people), but I do want to know what kind of games are out there (I'm more referring to more obscure ones).

As for what games I already have in mind? The only one that I know I'll definitely be getting is Super Mario 3D Land. Whether I'll like it or not, it seems criminal not to at least have it in my 3DS collection. So what other games would I like? You'll receive a few statements regarding what I like plus other misc. statements:

-My favorite genres are 2D platformers and JRPGs. By JRPGs, I mean ones with turn-based combat. I'm also fine with 2D Shumps, Puzzle, and Simulation games.. I'm also looking to get into Hack 'n' Slash games, especially ones of the GODoW Mold.

-What games I wouldn't like? Well, I haven't played a whole lot of games, but I can't imagine myself enjoying survival horror, beat-em-ups, or stealth games. Now, that doesn't mean that just because they're this and that genre they're bad. It's me in this regard.

-I do realize that there's an eShop, so how is the storage for 3DS? Is it sufficient? Large? Small? Beyond that, if you're going to suggest eShop games, I prefer if they were eShop exclusives. If there's a physical copy, I'm going to get it.

-The following franchises with notable games on the 3DS I haven't played: Fire Emblem, Resident Evil, Kid Icarus, Shin Tengami Megaten/Persona, Metal Gear, Harvest Moon, and a few others I'm probably forgetting

-There's a chance I'm not going to actually buy a 3DS soon. Above all, this is for future reference. The absolute deadline for me would be Fall, but the sooner the better, as they say.

So, with those statements in mind, let's go over the no-so-fun part: The rules.

1) You may suggest as many games as you'd like, but please give a reason why you suggest that particular game. The more details the better, but try to keep away from spoilers.

2) Try to keep away from import games if you can. I am not looking to import games from overseas. A good example would be Soma Bringer on the original DS. I hear it's quite good, but since it's a JPN-exclusive, I wouldn't have a chance of playing it.

3) This is the most important one. BE RESPECTFUL TO EACH OTHER!!! Seriously, you would not believe some of the posts I've seen in other threads. Please do not end up like that. Now, I am going to be quite strict on this one (this goes down to the wording, as well), so try to be on your nicest on this one, and by nicest, I do mean your nicest. None of this "here's my nicest; *does a mean action*" business.

So with that, fire away.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#2Phantom_NookPosted 1/17/2013 8:46:03 PM
With fun gameplay (rail shooting and running around), a deep and customizable weapon system, decent story and great atmosphere, Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite game on the 3DS. You don't even need to have played the NES game, as Uprising changes the gameplay up (though there are still things kept) and explains anything from the NES game that might be important to something happening at the moment. Besides, after a while, it ditches the references to the original and makes its own mark on the series.

Since you said you like 2D platformers, there is New Super Mario Bros 2. Although if you played other "New" Mario games you might find the similarities off-putting. Others include Sonic Generations, Rayman Legends and Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion. The most well recieved of the three is probably Rayman, and Sonic and Mickey get complaints about being too short.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#3PaulkotsuPosted 1/17/2013 8:51:07 PM
Buy Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus Awakening, and Animal Crossing when it comes out
---
"Cemith's dick is a tyrant"
#4PaulkotsuPosted 1/17/2013 8:52:01 PM
also the storage is SD card based
---
"Cemith's dick is a tyrant"
#5Quesker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 8:59:21 PM
Phantom_Nook posted...
With fun gameplay (rail shooting and running around), a deep and customizable weapon system, decent story and great atmosphere, Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite game on the 3DS. You don't even need to have played the NES game, as Uprising changes the gameplay up (though there are still things kept) and explains anything from the NES game that might be important to something happening at the moment. Besides, after a while, it ditches the references to the original and makes its own mark on the series.

Since you said you like 2D platformers, there is New Super Mario Bros 2. Although if you played other "New" Mario games you might find the similarities off-putting. Others include Sonic Generations, Rayman Legends and Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion. The most well recieved of the three is probably Rayman, and Sonic and Mickey get complaints about being too short.

Noted Kid Icarus Uprising. As for NSMB2, I have played the original one the DS. It may look the least inspiring of the 4 NSMBs, but nevertheless, it should be solid. Noted.

From what I understand, Sonic Generations 3DS is practically different from Sonic Generations console, so noted. I don't think Rayman Legends was released yet, no? As for Power of Illusion, I would like more information, please. You don't have to, as I could look it up myself, but it would be nice.

Paulkotsu posted...
Buy Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus Awakening, and Animal Crossing when it comes out

also the storage is SD card based

I request more information please, especially on the SD card thing, as the games have more readily available information.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#6MereMarePosted 1/17/2013 11:55:01 PM
Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (import from Europe)

This plays similar to Zelda, an rpg/point-and-click style game in which you control Tingle (running around dungeons, exploring them, finding rupees).
---
Zelda is an ACTION-ADVENTURE, not an RPG!!!
Japan is the center of the gaming universe.
#7Quesker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 7:25:28 PM
MereMare posted...
Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (import from Europe)

This plays similar to Zelda, an rpg/point-and-click style game in which you control Tingle (running around dungeons, exploring them, finding rupees).

Sorry, but it's an import. =(
---
-MillionGunmannn
#8Quesker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:04:16 AM
Bump
---
-MillionGunmannn
#9Shadow Stalker XPosted 1/20/2013 9:21:26 AM
If you like puzzle games, I'd suggest Pushmo and its sequel, Crashmo. Both games are eShop titles. Pushmo is a game where you push and pull blocks out a wall up to 3 spaces (if you can), and use them to create a path to the goal. The game itself features over 250 puzzles, and you can also make your own puzzles, and Read QR codes from the internet to play other people's puzzles. Crashmo follows a similar style to Pushmo, except the blocks can be moved around a much larger field, and the blocks also fall to the ground if there's nothing supporting them underneath. This game has over 200 puzzles of it's own, and has the same designing aspects it's predecessor has.

As for how SD Card storage goes. Each 3DS comes equipped w/ it's own SD card (2GB for the basic, 4GB for the XL, although the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle will also have a 4GB). Storage on the 3DS is translated into "blocks", w/ about a conversion rate of 8 blocks= 1MB. eShop titles can vary in size depending on the level of content they have. Virtual Console titles would take up less than 100 blocks, while some of the some what larger one typically range from 300-1500. As far as I know, the two largest purely eShop titles are Fractured Soul (over 2900) and Unchained Blades (over 4000).
---
Stop reading my sig, you are wasting time doing so.
#10nintendoggerPosted 1/20/2013 9:46:05 AM
If you really want to try Harvest Moon, Harvest Moon a New beginning is a very good HM game, and 3DS game. I've played like 10 harvest moons and in it one of the best 3 I have played. Be warned that the game takes like a whole season to really get into it (aka it starts out sluggishly slow).

I also recommend Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward if you like story based games. It's a puzzle/thriller novel and it's really good. If you like puzzle games, I recommend Professor Layton and the mask of miracle, or any of the DS games in that series.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage, is also a great game to add to your 3DS library. The game has so much charm, and plays like a classic GB or SNES game. It has platforming and rpg elements.

Tales of the Abyss is an RPG. I haven't played much of my copy, but it's a solid title from what I hear.

And lastly, I played Super Mario 3D Land for months and months trying to one up everything I had done before hand. It's a lot like Mario Galaxy - world wise. It's a solid Mario title.
---
Rah.