Etrian Odyssey IV or SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

#1SpaceDesperadoPosted 1/17/2013 9:38:11 PM
What is the appeal or difference between both?

I realize one of the differences is that Soul Hackers focuses on story and characters a lot more as well as the demon fusion system from other SMT games.

I am talking more about gameplay mechanics such as non-linearity, replay value, exploring, puzzles, how expansive the dungeons are, side quests, unique items and rewards, which game has more depth in the combat etc.
#2saint35Posted 1/17/2013 9:49:42 PM(edited)
Soul Hackers. I've played the Japanese version and it's an incredibly good game. Everything from the gameplay to the story and music is great in the game. I've tried the Etrian Odyssey series and can understand the appeal, but personally think it's poorly designed. Since without a guide you don't know how to build your characters and even with builds from guides/advice on forums the game is still ridiculously hard and requires insane amounts of grinding. The fourth supposedly introduces a casual mode that might fix this problem, but I doubt it. Both games are linear. Also, both have bonus dungeons. As far as I know, Soul Hackers has like 2 optional dungeons and the 3DS version adds another optional boss. Soul Hackers probably requires the higher amount of strategy between the two while Etrian Odyssey will require way more grinding to progress in the game. It's unfair to compare both though. Since few people have played Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey has had it's three previous entries localized.
---
Why modern education is failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6c-HY8dck
#3DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/17/2013 9:49:10 PM
EO doesn't require much grinding. It's really more about getting the right skills and team. Synergy is pretty important in those games.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#4KGTriggerPosted 1/17/2013 10:09:55 PM
EO if you like BAD games.

Just kidding, you should get Soul Hackers if you can only get one. Otherwise, get both!
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089; Steam: Joben
#5SpaceDesperado(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 11:39:26 PM
EO4 lets you ride a hot-air balloon to different places with it's overworld map so i don't think it's necessarily linear this time around.
#6MetalLokiPosted 1/17/2013 11:51:12 PM
Soul Hackers has an angel dolphin named Snappy.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928001251/megamitensei/images/thumb/e/e0/Snappy2.jpg/479px-Snappy2.jpg
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur, Slime and Mermaid.....Next is?
#7DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/18/2013 12:00:30 AM
Snappy alone is better than most things, TC.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#8randomshemsPosted 1/18/2013 12:02:40 AM
both if you can due to their difficulty to find later v.v
#9SpaceDesperado(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 2:29:54 AM
1) The topic of whether these games become rare is invalid for me since both are coming to eshop sooner or later if they want to pick one up later down the road

2) I wonder what a dolphin has to do to, to not be granted into heaven. Wait aren't these things supposed to be 'demons' in the first place?

Also does Soul Hackers provide any side quests? How robust is the conversation system with demons and such, say compared to devil survivor overclocked?
#10MetalLokiPosted 1/18/2013 7:43:16 AM
SpaceDesperado posted...
1) The topic of whether these games become rare is invalid for me since both are coming to eshop sooner or later if they want to pick one up later down the road

2) I wonder what a dolphin has to do to, to not be granted into heaven. Wait aren't these things supposed to be 'demons' in the first place?

Also does Soul Hackers provide any side quests? How robust is the conversation system with demons and such, say compared to devil survivor overclocked?

Most demons aren't even demons. The whole divine and herald race are angels.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur, Slime and Mermaid.....Next is?