Ok, I'm sold on Fire Emblem.

#1melchiahdimPosted 1/18/2013 4:37:55 AM
I haven't played Fire Emblem since GBA. I remember enjoying the game, but being frustrated by the permadeath. I don't remember what happened the the game, I must have sold it. I was apprehensive to buy the new game, but the demo won me over. The presentation is top notch and the story is interesting so far (except for the amnesia cliche). I'm also liking the gameplay so far. I'm much better at coping with challenge then I was back then, so I'm ready to try it out again.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
#2IChangedMyNamePosted 1/18/2013 4:59:02 AM
I LOVE Intelligent Systems and turn based grid RPG's.

So the Fire Emblem series was right up my ally, the Permadeath thing has always intrigued me since the beginning. Adds a bit to the difficulty.

W/o even following this game I was getting it regardless. I'm hoping they do a new Advance Wars after this or REMAKE the first 3 Advance Wars in 1 pack of kick ass that is all connected with extra content and stuff.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#3DemiseEndPosted 1/18/2013 5:15:41 AM
Permadeath did not actualy add to difficulty THAT much

Its more of an "OMG!!! i killed the boss, get all treasure, get full stats roll during level up on my Lord twice, etc etc etc OH!! NO! NO! NO! *insert unit name here is killed! *soft reset" most of the time

Seriously, it happened
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#4IChangedMyNamePosted 1/18/2013 5:19:20 AM
DemiseEnd posted...
Permadeath did not actualy add to difficulty THAT much

Its more of an "OMG!!! i killed the boss, get all treasure, get full stats roll during level up on my Lord twice, etc etc etc OH!! NO! NO! NO! *insert unit name here is killed! *soft reset" most of the time

Seriously, it happened

Well, you can't really say that it doesn't add difficulty just because you cop out of dealing with your losses. If I lost a character, I lost a character. I wouldn't reset just because of it, I'd manage it.
---
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#5DemiseEndPosted 1/18/2013 5:29:49 AM
Thats actualy from my experience playing

Most of the time, the permadeath happen to occur on one character who i(somehow) can easilly replace, except my perfectionist sense occurs and i soft reset

Or, after you got an amazing stuff, some random good character you can't replace is dead and i soft reset again

Either way, its not something that increases difficulty in a sense that it did not make the stages harder to complete, but a factor regardless
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#6IChangedMyNamePosted 1/18/2013 6:07:06 AM
But it does, you, yourself, are just ruining the intention of the game by not accepting your shortcomings in the particular situations you yourself have used as an example.

I dare you to play the game the way you do now, but to NOT reset the game when some one dies. Accept it and move on and when the time comes and your short w/ Party members to deploy or that aren't useless, let me know how easy it is.

I guess I'm saying your spoiling the fun of the game by resetting to correct your mistakes in short.
---
#7Gamemaster64Posted 1/18/2013 6:27:38 AM
IChangedMyName posted...
But it does, you, yourself, are just ruining the intention of the game by not accepting your shortcomings in the particular situations you yourself have used as an example.

I dare you to play the game the way you do now, but to NOT reset the game when some one dies. Accept it and move on and when the time comes and your short w/ Party members to deploy or that aren't useless, let me know how easy it is.

I guess I'm saying your spoiling the fun of the game by resetting to correct your mistakes in short.

Don't see how it spoiling the fun

When a Lord dies, the game gives you a game over.
When resetting after someone else dies is manually adding the game over to all the other characters as if they are lords themselves.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#8IChangedMyNamePosted 1/18/2013 6:43:14 AM(edited)
Gamemaster64 posted...
Don't see how it spoiling the fun

When a Lord dies, the game gives you a game over.
When resetting after someone else dies is manually adding the game over to all the other characters as if they are lords themselves.

A lord is usually a key character to the story or progress. Of course if they die the game ends. But if you reset after every error made its just ruins the intention of the permadeath. The idea is that there's characters who help achieve victory, by accepting a death it makes the rest of the difficult seeing as your short a member of the party.

It all really just comes down to the way you play the game, I find it ruins the game to constantly reset if I was careless and lost a member of my party while others dont.

Simple as that I guess.
---
#9SailorSatournePosted 1/18/2013 7:05:34 AM
I could never accept deaths in FE. I was always worried that if I kept going like that, that I'd end up towards the end of the game with like two party members and be royally screwed. >_>
---
Placeholder signature so people don't skip the last line of my posts.
#10confettistormPosted 1/18/2013 7:10:30 AM
Finally beating Lunatic was really fun.

Perfecting your strategy and having it finally work like clockwork is an amazing feeling.
BRING ON LUNATIC+