Finally got a chance to use an XL today... was not impressed.

#1ValzacardXPosted 1/19/2013 12:21:25 AM
So I stopped at Target when I got off of work and decided to browse their electronic section, and load and behold, a 3DS XL. Now after all the hype I've been seeing from the board in all the OG vs XL, I was expecting to be blown away. Now in the XL's defense the only game available was Style Savvy or something by that name, but just going off the build:

I don't get the hype about the screen size. IMO I don't mind and I was perfectly fine with DSI/Lite screen size, and the regular 3DS screen seems a little bigger(which is fine for me).

Again everyone knows about the sound quality being sub par to the regular.

The placement of the Start, Home, and Select button didn't seem that much better. I guess they click better?

Somewhat better battery life from what I hear, but not a dig deal for someone that won't be playing the much in areas away from an outlet.

Did notice some pixelation immediately

Also the Dpad did not seem that much better to me, but as I could not fully grip the thing do to it being held in place, I imagine the bigger size, and placement of it make it better.

So with that said I will still try out another one with less restrictions, but at the moment I don't see this one as a SUPER leap on the original like some claim, and has cemented my purchase of the FE bundle.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#2RazieruPosted 1/19/2013 12:36:11 AM
Yeah, you're really not missing much in the leap between the 3DS and the 3DS XL. As everyone knows, the biggest problems with the 3DS XL are its dire sound quality (it really is DIRE, as in some notes in some audio actually CANNOT be heard DIRE), its cheap build, and mediocre brightness.

The regular 3DS isn't much of a blemish when you consider those negatives, and the regular 3DS's bundles really do hold more water compared to the 3DS XL where you only have a lack luster Mario Kart 7 3DS XL bundle to take advantage of (considering the fact that other regions actually get a limited edition 3DS XL with that bundle, let alone all other bundles that have yet to even be considered for North America for one). Not to mention you also get a free game with those 3DS bundles vs. a 3DS XL by its lonesome; unless, of course, you're taking advantage of the Mario Kart 3DS XL bundle.

DS games still look like a blurry and washed out piece of crap; and those horrid visuals are even more noticeable on the 3DS XL's screens naturally. The battery life isn't THAT much better at all. So, don't be trendy and hop aboard the over-hyped train.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#3jedinatPosted 1/19/2013 12:39:36 AM(edited)
It's better in every way except the circle pad. All these threads on the XL and no one mentions the circle pad. Well, it's worse. At least mine is. And the one I got them to open up at the store for a possible exchange.

I don't get people saying the XL feels cheaper in general though. It seems like a much sturdier unit. The buttons are a lot better. The sound really isn't ALL that much worse. Not a big deal.

The biggest improvement is in ergonomics.
#4tw1g_007Posted 1/19/2013 12:38:32 AM
3DS XL is basically just overhyped here on GameFAQs. It really isn't as good as people proclaim it to be.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#5RazieruPosted 1/19/2013 12:39:54 AM
^ I mean, you're wasting $200 on budget hardware that only cost Nintendo twenty cents to make....
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#6DeGamer81Posted 1/19/2013 12:43:28 AM
tw1g_007 posted...
3DS XL is basically just overhyped here on GameFAQs. It really isn't as good as people proclaim it to be.

This. I'm still having problems with scratches on the upper screen as well. Can't believe they didn't fix that problem when designing the new one.
#7rizsparkyPosted 1/19/2013 3:06:45 AM
Ive own both the OG and XL and my OG is gathering dust on my desk, the better battery life,larger screens, anti-glare protection and ergonomic design means that I have no real use for the OG 3DS anymore, its also as light at the OG 3DS...
---
3DS FC: 4597-0164-7987
#890sRetroGamingPosted 1/19/2013 3:53:42 AM
Razieru posted...
Yeah, you're really not missing much in the leap between the 3DS and the 3DS XL. As everyone knows, the biggest problems with the 3DS XL are its dire sound quality (it really is DIRE, as in some notes in some audio actually CANNOT be heard DIRE), its cheap build, and mediocre brightness.

The regular 3DS isn't much of a blemish when you consider those negatives, and the regular 3DS's bundles really do hold more water compared to the 3DS XL where you only have a lack luster Mario Kart 7 3DS XL bundle to take advantage of (considering the fact that other regions actually get a limited edition 3DS XL with that bundle, let alone all other bundles that have yet to even be considered for North America for one). Not to mention you also get a free game with those 3DS bundles vs. a 3DS XL by its lonesome; unless, of course, you're taking advantage of the Mario Kart 3DS XL bundle.

DS games still look like a blurry and washed out piece of crap; and those horrid visuals are even more noticeable on the 3DS XL's screens naturally. The battery life isn't THAT much better at all. So, don't be trendy and hop aboard the over-hyped train.

1. Can't disagree on the sound quality issue. i'm not sure what the hell happened during the manufacturing process but damn...

2. As far as the US goes.. again i'll have to agree with you about the regular 3DS having better bundles out there. Cosmo Black & Gold Zelda LE bundle, Flame Red SM3DL bundle, Pearl Pink Nintendog+ Cats bundle and now this upcoming Cobalt Blue Fire Emblem Awakening LE bundle. XL?.. plain Blue/Black MK7 XL bundle.. no designs...

3. Completely disagrees on DS games looking "blurry and washed out"" on the bigger 3DS XL screens compared to smaller ones. they look just fine in my opinion. and NO i'm not delusional or brainwashed by others into thinking this (as you MAY accuse me of). i actually own a 3DS XL and have played multiple DS games in the last month+ i've had it. naturally they won't be as "sharp" or "crisp" but really.. who cares?. it's not like DS graphics were all that impressive to begin with... because they're not.. lol.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#990sRetroGamingPosted 1/19/2013 3:59:17 AM
Razieru posted...
^ I mean, you're wasting $200 on budget hardware that only cost Nintendo twenty cents to make....

The original 3DS should be considered a "budget" system as well. it has a good amount of flaws as the XL has theirs. the XL may not be perfect but the original damn sure isn't either.

*Original 3DS owner here for 17 months prior to upgrading to the 3DS XL... experience*
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#10Synbios459Posted 1/19/2013 4:09:45 AM
To the people talking about how bad the sound is, are you talking about with or without headphones? I always use headphones when possible.
---
White 2 FC: 0863-1151-3669