Do you think the inclusion of casual mode in FE was a good thing?

#11braiel91Posted 1/19/2013 1:39:17 AM
so long as they keep putting classic mode in i'll be happy not only does it help draw in new players who are intimidated by permadeath to boost sales for an amazing series and get us more localizations it can also be helpful to get used to tackling the insane difficulty that is lunatic/lunatic+
#12Xenesis XenonPosted 1/19/2013 2:11:20 AM
More games should have difficulty options.

I'm glad Nintendo is finally loosening up about this.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#13kukingina2Posted 1/19/2013 2:38:06 AM
the game is still crazy hard on lunatic so I don't mind and at least we won't get the "oh wtf he's dead forever" rants we do in any other FE game
---
Anime is saved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWh8i9EY_U
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#14OoSubaruoOPosted 1/19/2013 2:43:17 AM
I never played a Fire Emblem game before, and hearing about permadeaths kinda made me wary of the series. But, I like how Nintendo added Casual feature to negate this. I might later on tackle the Normal mode if I feel like it.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#15legendarylemurPosted 1/19/2013 4:51:10 AM
Options are not always good. It downgrades Fire Emblem from a series that challenges your mind and humanity to a series that may at one point challenge your mind and humanity. Honestly, the game gets too easy once you just send all your guys into the field as meatshields. Of course the ignorant few may say, this is too easy and boring. This game sucks. There goes a customer this game could have saved. One may argue that those people don't deserve to like this game, but honestly, I wouldn't like it when ANYBODY dislikes a game for the wrong reason, and even though they may be in the wrong, it still frustrates me.

Also, I don't care much for the whole casuals can enter this series argument. Just because they're casuals doesn't mean they shouldn't be challenged. Well made games often tend to smooth out the learning curve well enough for even casuals to dive in until they hit a wall. However, by the time they reach that wall, they'll be having too much fun with the game to simply give up. Plus, casuals won't even have all the information anyways. How the hell would casuals even know the non-perma death option is even in this game? People who know are the ones who are most likely willing to buy the game anyways, and they won't just not buy it because of perma death
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Official official. Officially
#16aamotPosted 1/19/2013 5:25:05 AM
LOL at the last option.

While I really love the permadeath aspect, there are plenty of other reasons to enjoy this game. So I'm all for allowing the option to those who want it. They'll be getting a "lesser" Fire Emblem experience, but if that's how they want to play it, now they can.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#17melchiahdimPosted 1/19/2013 5:25:40 AM
legendarylemur posted...
Options are not always good. It downgrades Fire Emblem from a series that challenges your mind and humanity to a series that may at one point challenge your mind and humanity. Honestly, the game gets too easy once you just send all your guys into the field as meatshields. Of course the ignorant few may say, this is too easy and boring. This game sucks. There goes a customer this game could have saved. One may argue that those people don't deserve to like this game, but honestly, I wouldn't like it when ANYBODY dislikes a game for the wrong reason, and even though they may be in the wrong, it still frustrates me.

Also, I don't care much for the whole casuals can enter this series argument. Just because they're casuals doesn't mean they shouldn't be challenged. Well made games often tend to smooth out the learning curve well enough for even casuals to dive in until they hit a wall. However, by the time they reach that wall, they'll be having too much fun with the game to simply give up. Plus, casuals won't even have all the information anyways. How the hell would casuals even know the non-perma death option is even in this game? People who know are the ones who are most likely willing to buy the game anyways, and they won't just not buy it because of perma death

You didn't really say why having choices is a bad thing in this case. What if someone doesn't enjoy challenging games but enjoys the gameplay and story? It's only a problem if casual mode is the default way to play, which it isn't. The option won't effect your experience in playing the game.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
#18legendarylemurPosted 1/19/2013 6:28:38 AM
melchiahdim posted...
legendarylemur posted...

You didn't really say why having choices is a bad thing in this case. What if someone doesn't enjoy challenging games but enjoys the gameplay and story? It's only a problem if casual mode is the default way to play, which it isn't. The option won't effect your experience in playing the game.

I'm saying it is bad due to a select group of people. These are the kinds of people who don't always look into every aspect of the game. These people don't know how to jack up the sensitivity on Kid Icarus, for example. They see perma-death as off, and they downgrade what makes this game so good. It's a rare case, but like I said, I don't like people bashing a game based on their ignorance, but at the same time it's frustrating how vocal they are and how much people eat those words up. This is why options are bad
---
#19legendarylemurPosted 1/19/2013 6:35:05 AM
To add to it, disabling perma-death is SUCH a huge change to the FE gameplay. You might as well be playing Advance Wars, but the thing is, the game is not meant to play like Advance Wars. It's a real world wars with your friends with real life consequences. In Advance Wars, you're a commander controlling units with no emotions or fear. In Fire Emblem, you're practically like King Arthur, and it's a great feat to make out of brutal battles alive with all of your comrades. Would King Arthur ever send Lancelot and friends into a large group of enemies to die just so they could soften up the army enough to come clean everything up? Hell no, he'd try his best to keep Lancelot alive and win the battle at the same time. Now if Lancelot was a deployable unit with a wad of cash, it's a whole another story, and it's a story that Fire Emblem doesn't tell.
---
#20iusefebrezePosted 1/19/2013 9:23:45 AM
f*&*ing casuals
---
The average anime character has 47 gallons of blood.