Do you think the inclusion of casual mode in FE was a good thing?

#51SSJ2__GohanPosted 1/19/2013 11:17:48 PM
A good thing.

I always like to limit myself in games like this: make it so that both armies continiously lose characters (not purposely of course! I simply employ different tactics, like using scapegoats and such, to lead me to victory: not the best tactics, but it are the most fun tactics!). Why? Because otherwise, with each opponent you kill, the battle becomes easier: the opponent's army otherwise keeps shrinking while yours stays big and healthy, after all.
#52COlimar788Posted 1/19/2013 11:26:16 PM
Having tried to play Sacred Stones, and been completely turned off by my units being killed by near-random flukes, I would not be buying Awakening if it had still kept permadeath mandatory. It comes down to an obnoxious form of fake difficulty that makes it very hard to enjoy an otherwise extremely well crafted game.

So yes, yes it was a good thing. The cons of permadeath far outweigh the pros.
---
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#53TerotrousPosted 1/19/2013 11:37:19 PM(edited)
I personally think it's a bad idea because it's a crutch that reduces the depth of the game. People think that more difficulty options is always better, but you don't want to make the game so easy that you lose the main appeal of its gameplay, which in Fire Emblem, is the Strategy. If you can just brute force your way through the game, it will not be very fun, and anyone who plays it that way will probably think the game sucks. It also trivializes the support aspect of Fire Emblem, one major incentive to keep your units alive is to see their supports / endings, which is balanced against the fact that not letting anyone die makes the game harder. Removing permadeath will make the supports much less satisfying.

Something similar happened with the Star Ocean remakes. Star Ocean is a good series and the games have a ton of depth - as long as you're not playing on Earth Mode. If you do, you can just mash X to win every battle with zero effort. As such, there's a widely held perception that the games are repetitive and boring. You can only try to enlighten so many people that the game was only dull because they played on the mode where the enemies can't hurt you.

I also saw this happen to my nephew with Super Mario 3D Land. In that game, if you die 4 times, you get perma invincibility for that stage, and 8 times lets you skip it altogether. He really doesn't know the first thing about the game (he can't even run and jump at the same time), but because the game lets him away with it he's unwilling to learn it. Then he got to a point where you have to have 50 star coins to progress and he's completely stuck. He doesn't want to go back to the beginning and go through the stages again because he got this far already (even though he skipped like 80% of the levels). The crutches broke the game's difficulty progression curve and pretty much ruined his experience.

Sometimes you just have to stick to your guns and not dumb it down when you know you have a gameplay mechanic that works well. Your audience will naturally expand through word of mouth, make sure the new people get a good experience as well.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#54king_darks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 6:27:17 AM
COlimar788 posted...
Having tried to play Sacred Stones, and been completely turned off by my units being killed by near-random flukes, I would not be buying Awakening if it had still kept permadeath mandatory. It comes down to an obnoxious form of fake difficulty that makes it very hard to enjoy an otherwise extremely well crafted game.

You have no idea what the hell fake difficulty is do you? Here the definition of it.

Fake difficulty=Any form of difficulty that I don't like that challenge me in a way that doesn't test my skills directly yet punish me heavily for my mistakes. This word has been flunged on the dark souls boards a ridiculous amount of times and every single time a person used this word they had no idea what they're talking about. Whats make you so different? Just like dark souls FE fanbase has developed around the perma-death mechanic and cleared even more ridiculously challenging chapters (as sacred stones isn't that hard) that would likely wipe out your whole team due to bad strategy on your part.

^.^ I'm not trying to Mr.Dbag who can't accept opinions different from mine but throwing around buzzwords and not knowing it definition then going to claim a certain mechanic objectively sucks russle mah jimmies.
---
School days are back.
#55Dark_AbaddonPosted 1/20/2013 3:53:18 PM
king_darks posted...
COlimar788 posted...

You have no idea what the hell fake difficulty is do you? Here the definition of it.

Fake difficulty=Any form of difficulty that I don't like that challenge me in a way that doesn't test my skills directly yet punish me heavily for my mistakes. This word has been flunged on the dark souls boards a ridiculous amount of times and every single time a person used this word they had no idea what they're talking about. Whats make you so different? Just like dark souls FE fanbase has developed around the perma-death mechanic and cleared even more ridiculously challenging chapters (as sacred stones isn't that hard) that would likely wipe out your whole team due to bad strategy on your part.

^.^ I'm not trying to Mr.Dbag who can't accept opinions different from mine but throwing around buzzwords and not knowing it definition then going to claim a certain mechanic objectively sucks russle mah jimmies.

having a character killed when your 99% accuracy attack misses, and their 1% accuracy attack with 1% critical chance that wouldn't otherwise kill you somehow hits and criticals could be perceived as fake difficulty...
---
Me: my posts, now with 100% more signature
Hades: I liked it better when your posts had 100% less signature...
#56SSJ2__GohanPosted 1/20/2013 4:09:21 PM
Perma-death is a form of fake difficulty. After all, it makes the game harder while having nothing to do with your skill: clinging to the survival of your entire party is by far not always the best strategy there is, yet you're practically forced to do so.
#57king_darks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 4:24:59 PM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
Perma-death is a form of fake difficulty. After all, it makes the game harder while having nothing to do with your skill: clinging to the survival of your entire party is by far not always the best strategy there is, yet you're practically forced to do so.

It is a form of punishment for not having enough skill. Each character is capable of holding their own in lower difficulties so a death that result from failing to properly strategize is your fault.
---
School days are back.
#58king_darks(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 4:29:29 PM
dark_abbadon

Thats called baaaad luck. 99%=/=100 and 1%=/=0
---
School days are back.
#59Plasma EXEPosted 1/20/2013 4:40:50 PM(edited)
While I don't really care much about having casual mode added in since I'm going to be playing on classic, The demo gave some good impressions of the game still being rather difficult on higher difficulties like Lunatic. Casual mode will be there to draw in those who were turned away by the series at first or were hesitant to try it out so it's a good thing.

Going to add onto the whole permadeath conversation, but it encourages you to not make really stupid strategies like sacrificing your mages so that other characters can wail on the enemies. It isn't fake difficulty. That's why you have tanky characters like Frederick given at the beginning of the game who should be helping your teammates survive whether it's through pair-up bonuses or aggroing everything.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336
#60ACx7Posted 1/20/2013 4:37:47 PM
Of course. It will most likely help boost sales. Anything that will increase sales and further our chances of getting more Fire Emblem games is okay by me.