3DS XL THAT much better than the 3DS?

#1EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/19/2013 12:58:23 PM
I was planning on purchasing a 3DS with the announcement of Pokemon X and the interest that I have in Fire Emblem. Since Nintendo is coming with a Fire Emblem Bundle, I'm weighing my options on buying a 3DS XL and the Fire Emblem game separately or just getting the bundle which would save me about $40 (which I have no problem doing).

Only thing that's making me hesitant is the talk that the regular 3DS is just that much inferior to the 3DS XL. So I have to ask, would I be making a mistake rolling with that bundle or should I just suck it up and buy the XL and Fire Emblem separately?
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#2jedinatPosted 1/19/2013 1:01:51 PM(edited)
Go to Walmart and see if they still have any Mario Kart bundles left for $200... I went to Walmart the day after buying my full retail XL (last week) only to see they still had those bundles... chagrin was had.

XL is worth it if only for the more comfortable hold. Regular 3DS had my hands squished up and I never used the stylus at all because it was a pain to remove.
#3aamotPosted 1/19/2013 1:02:22 PM
Most of the anti-XL hate is coming from people who don't own XLs. It isn't a bad system by any means. As I haven't owned an original 3DS, I can't say specifically how much improved it is - but it is awesome.

You're better off going with whichever one you like more. The XL seems to be better, but that limited edition Fire Emblem 3DS is sweet.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#4thompsontalker7Posted 1/19/2013 1:10:28 PM
I was tempted by the Fire Emblem bundle, but I got the Mario Kart XL bundle and I have no regrets

I despite the 3DS's normal design though, so YMMV.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#5rizsparkyPosted 1/19/2013 1:16:41 PM
As the F.E bundle comes with a digital copy of the game, Id go with the XL and physical copy of F.E.
---
3DS FC: 4597-0164-7987
#6Leroy160Posted 1/19/2013 1:22:13 PM
After trying it out I can agree that it certainly feels way better in your hands than the original. The scaling really isn't THAT bad as people make it out to be. In fact, I honestly think the bigger screens suit it way better. What I do have an issue with is how much bigger it is, it literally barely makes it inside my pockets anymore. But thats really the only quirk, I would honestly upgrade if I could.
#7ReedeemerPosted 1/19/2013 1:34:17 PM
You should honestly get an XL, especially if you're going to be playing some of these new games, its just the better experience. If you can afford it, otherwise I'd look at the bundles the other posters are talking about.

The larger screens are so worth it, I'm glad I got an XL before playing Revelations because whenever I hold a regular 3DS now I feel like I'm looking into a GameBoy Micro screen :P
---
WiiU: rZetro
PSN: Zetro-X ::: 3DS: 1118-0389-0873
#8IronMonkey008Posted 1/19/2013 1:41:39 PM
Find somewhere that has both where you can see for yourself, or look at youtube comparison videos or something. Asking here isn't going to get you the best results a lot of the time. People will tend to say it isn't good or will go the opposite and say it's way better than it really is, both sides trying to reassure their purchase (which is normal I guess).

I would say if you plan on taking it with you everywhere then the normal may be the better purchase. I personally bought it more as a home console (I don't game when I'm out) so the XL was the obvious choice for me.
---
- My Games - http://backloggery.com/IronMonkey008
- My Books - http://www.goodreads.com/IronMonkey008