Petition to ban region-locking

#1Goul111Posted 1/20/2013 2:23:59 AM
http://operationrainfall.com/white-house-petition-ban-region-locking/

While I would like to see less games with Region-Locks, I'm not sure this is a good idea. Though they suck, there are reasons for Region-locks that tend to be pretty valid. Plus importing games is a privilege and not a right. I'm also wondering if American Law can actually affect content made in other countries, or even digital content. There is a lot to discuss but I felt it was a good idea to spread this around to get opinions and pull attention to the petition.
---
Sengoku Basara for the new Toonami Block, spread the word.
#2El_DustinoPosted 1/20/2013 3:03:46 AM(edited)
Our privileges are protected under the Constitution as well, just so you know. 4th amendment, I believe. I'll need to check it out. Semantics here, but still.

Still need to read the petition.

EDIT: Article IV, not the 4th Amendment, derp.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#3KahrainPosted 1/20/2013 3:01:13 AM
I'm all for banning region locking. It's usually used as an excuse to charge more for a product.
---
=^.^= Mew.... CATS RULE!!!!
Armored Core V team: Nomadic Ravens
#4laxnd23Posted 1/20/2013 3:12:29 AM
El_Dustino posted...
Our privileges are protected under the Constitution as well, just so you know. 4th amendment, I believe. I'll need to check it out. Semantics here, but still.

There are two interpretations of that Article, neither affect region locking. The first interpretation is that a citizen of one state shall have the same privileges as every other citizen in every state. The other interpretation is that a citizen's privileges will not be affected should they cross state lines. Clearly neither affects region locking.

As for region locking, I dislike it very much. But it's unlikely to change. Firstly, there isn't a large amount of demand. The overwhelming majority of gamers don't get affected by region-locking, only those like myself, a much smaller number, who want to import. Secondly, a game may be region locked if its content would have different ratings in different regions. Also, some regions then have different ratings guidelines in their sub-regions, making it even more complex. Finally, the price balance gets thrown off balance if region locking is removed. For some regions, it might be cheaper to import than buy locally, which would harm the publisher and possibly that region's economy. So there is very little incentive to remove it, and a much larger incentive to keep it there.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6624-4823 Official XboxLover of the KDF
#5El_DustinoPosted 1/20/2013 3:58:36 AM
laxnd23 posted...
El_Dustino posted...

There are two interpretations of that Article, neither affect region locking. The first interpretation is that a citizen of one state shall have the same privileges as every other citizen in every state. The other interpretation is that a citizen's privileges will not be affected should they cross state lines. Clearly neither affects region locking.

As for region locking, I dislike it very much. But it's unlikely to change. Firstly, there isn't a large amount of demand. The overwhelming majority of gamers don't get affected by region-locking, only those like myself, a much smaller number, who want to import. Secondly, a game may be region locked if its content would have different ratings in different regions. Also, some regions then have different ratings guidelines in their sub-regions, making it even more complex. Finally, the price balance gets thrown off balance if region locking is removed. For some regions, it might be cheaper to import than buy locally, which would harm the publisher and possibly that region's economy. So there is very little incentive to remove it, and a much larger incentive to keep it there.

Yeah, after reading the text of the article, I can kind of see that now. I have just seen people try to deny other people things with the privilege argument, and Artcile IV shut them down, but I see now that this situation is a bit too different for that. Shame that I don't know an article off the top of my head; our schools really need to teach us more about this. :/

On your reason against the idea, different rating systems do not really cause a problem, from what we have seen, which can be seen by the PSP, PS3, 360, and every Nintendo handheld until the DSi.

The lack of demand is a valid issue though. What is worse is the lack of concern by the consumers in general, like people who attack the idea of systems being region free because they are way to loyal to certain companies.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.