Why does Nintendo continue to ignore their arcade games?

#2190sRetroGamingPosted 1/20/2013 4:13:37 PM
jedinat posted...
DarkIVloon posted...
jedinat posted...
Arcade games suck.

They suck up my quarters, yea.

The sad thing is you go to the arcade these days to play games with worse graphics than a handheld you have at home; worse screens that the TV you have at home; worse sound than the speakers you have at home. Maybe the gun is cooler to hold than your Wiimote at home, but that novelty wears off after about 5 minutes.

Not really. i'll take a whole day in an arcade full of people with all the classics all around me over anything put out in the last 10 or so years. don't bad mouth the arcades...
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#22VyersPosted 1/20/2013 4:15:26 PM
AceMos posted...
u can play better versions of all 3 allready

No, you cannot.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
(one of the) Latest YouTube uploads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YCQxHyo0UQ - Pokemon Snap, Part 1
#23n00bsaib0tPosted 1/20/2013 4:36:04 PM
The sad thing is you go to the arcade these days to play games with worse graphics than a handheld you have at home; worse screens that the TV you have at home; worse sound than the speakers you have at home. Maybe the gun is cooler to hold than your Wiimote at home, but that novelty wears off after about 5 minutes.

And yet Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is better than an fighting game released since, and its never been ported perfectly, not even the recent Street Fighter 3: Online Edition got it 100% right. Minor details like Urien's Aegis Reflector being Purple and Blue for P1 and P2 so you can tell them apart in mirror matches have never made it into a console version for whatever reason. The PS2 version is too slow, the X-Box version is too fast, the Dreamcast version has slight input lag and slowdown and Urien was nerfed hard, so all the old versions have some way to mess with your timing when you're used to the arcade version.

But yeah, if you like console ports that aren't 100% the same quality as the arcade version then there is totally no reason to ever go to an arcade.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#24parKb5Posted 1/20/2013 5:49:06 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
jedinat posted...
DarkIVloon posted...
jedinat posted...
Arcade games suck.

My teenaged self, who learned to play Street Fighter on those big two button machines would like to have a word with you.

Also, arcade cabinets can't have a worse screen than I have at home, for I have no TV. I have no stereo (though my Sennheiser headphones are pretty good). Also, I don't like playing anonymous multiplayer games. I like someone standing next to you, quarters at the ready to challenge you next when you beat whatever opponent you currently face. Or Nickle, 'cause Nickle Nickle was the place, but still...

Are you perhaps not yet 21 jedinat, and fail to have the nostalgia of the arcades of my youth flowing through your veins? I agree that you make several valid points, but the kid buried in me wants to kick your ass. All 4'10" 90 pounds of him. =D
I'm glad I grew.

Also, while it has been quite some time since I've been to an arcade in Japan, they were quite awesome back int he day. It made spending 100 yen coins seem like nothing! I mean, they were worth almost $1, but they were just coins, so you don't think of plugging away at Time Crisis. Then you wonder why you are broke at the end of the day. =D

You tell him, Tim. Nothing can compare to the arcades in the 80's. I remember spending the whole weekend with my friends playing games or playing against strangers, and there was no trash talking or making fun of people, everyone had a good time weather you won or lost, you said, "Great game, man" shook hands and went about your business. If anyone mouthed off like the 12 year olds on Call of Duty, you dragged them out back and beat their ass.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#25ukokira1Posted 1/20/2013 5:51:38 PM
FredSavage27 posted...
AceMos posted...
u can play better versions of all 3 allready

The arcade version of Donkey Kong is much better than the NES version.

The GB version of Donkey Kong is much better than the arcade version.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#26Xenesis XenonPosted 1/20/2013 5:54:42 PM(edited)
Edit: GB Donkey Kong is basically an entirely different game :P

You can instantly tell someone's age by how favourably they think of Arcade Gaming.

Heh heh.

And to be honest I think it's because Nintendo doesn't really care about purists. There's no reason to when they've got the easier to emulate NES versions of said games.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#27leeko_linkPosted 1/20/2013 6:06:56 PM
The best Nintendo games are:

Duck Hunt
Donkey Kong Junior
Killer Instinct 1 & 2
F-Zero GX
Mario Kart Arcade GP1 & 2

I doubt they would ever release the more advance arcade games like Killer Instinct, F-Zero GX and Mario Kart Arcade GP since third party ppl (Rare, Sega, and Namco) own rights to those already but it would be awesome if they do.
#28n00bsaib0tPosted 1/20/2013 6:09:30 PM
^Killer Instinct isn't a Nintendo title
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#29robulastagePosted 1/20/2013 6:11:36 PM
jedinat posted...
DarkIVloon posted...
jedinat posted...
Arcade games suck.

Mostly this.

The last time I enjoyed myself at an arcade was roughly 5-6 years ago. Me and my buddy went to an arcade and each bought $20 worth of tokens and spent at least 2 hours playing Tekken 5. Then we moved onto some shooting games and a racing game which I don't remember the names of. We still had a BUNCH of tokens left over so we played a few more rounds of Tekken then gave the rest of our tokens to some kid.

He damn near lost his mind lol

But the way things are now, every arcade has very outdated games that people have lost interest in. You can download free games for your phone with better graphics, sound, and gameplay, and no, I'm seriously not trolling. The arcade was once a bubbling social hotspot for co-op and competitive gaming, but with every gaming console having online multiplayer, why drive to an arcade?

Plus, every arcade I've been to in recent years is in poor shape; the cabinets are all dirty, everything's sticky, some buttons just don't work. With the games all being very outdated and most of these places in poor shape and abandoned, there's no point in driving all the way to arcade.

I loved arcades back in the day, but the day of the arcade is over.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3586-3727
#30jedinatPosted 1/20/2013 6:13:38 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
Are you perhaps not yet 21 jedinat, and fail to have the nostalgia of the arcades of my youth flowing through your veins? I agree that you make several valid points, but the kid buried in me wants to kick your ass. All 4'10" 90 pounds of him. =D
I'm glad I grew.

I'm 26, lol. I had some fun at arcades when I was a kid, but my post comes from the last two times I went to Dave & Busters and could only feel slightly ill at the money I was wasting (someone else's money, thankfully lol) on games inferior to the ones at home.