Why does Nintendo continue to ignore their arcade games?

#51robulastagePosted 1/20/2013 8:24:14 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
robulastage posted...
But the way things are now, every arcade has very outdated games that people have lost interest in. You can download free games for your phone with better graphics, sound, and gameplay, and no, I'm seriously not trolling. The arcade was once a bubbling social hotspot for co-op and competitive gaming, but with every gaming console having online multiplayer, why drive to an arcade?

Plus, every arcade I've been to in recent years is in poor shape; the cabinets are all dirty, everything's sticky, some buttons just don't work. With the games all being very outdated and most of these places in poor shape and abandoned, there's no point in driving all the way to arcade.

I loved arcades back in the day, but the day of the arcade is over.

This is probably true and it makes me very sad. I don;'t WANT to play online with some racist 12 year old. I like gaming with people, in the same room. It kinda gets rid of the dickhead factor; when you're face to face, you KNOW who's pulling shenanigans. If my brother wants to be a jerk and draw down a horde of guys in Borderlands 2, I KNOW it was him, because he's in the next room. He KNOWS when I am not pulling my weight in a game. Also, we're not gonna say random unflattering things about each other's mom.
Basically I am old, and want the kids to stop skateboarding on the sidewalk. I also miss split screen gaming. My 360 is over at my brother's house. We play on two separate TVs over live in the same freakin' house, no headsets needed. He just calls to me from the living room.
Man, now I am filled with nostalgia and sadness. Stupid change. grumble grumble. I blame myself... if I hadn't got all my friends tro start playing Phantasy Star Onine on the Dreamcast, none of this would have happened by now. (Not really I know, and I did love me some PSO, but the charm is gone now.)

I'd love to see arcades make a comeback, but I highly suspect they won't. Many people have decent internet and a game console capable of online play, and for them, that's good enough. Some say online play emulates that "arcade feeling," but it really, truly doesn't.

Gaming in an arcade made everything so personal; your opponent or ally was right there beside you to taunt or encourage and you weren't separted by miles, but by inches. It made every punch, kick, shot, dance, lap, crash, and everything in between something much more intimate. You didn't have anonymity. The second you stepped up to game with someone, you were getting to know them. Rivalries, partnerships, or friendships were all instant.

About the only thing online gaming does to emulate arcade gaming is the actual gaming side of it. It is a social experience, but not nearly in the same way as arcade gaming. With online gaming you'll almost never be in the same room as the other players. You won't be able to walk into a phsycial place meant for one basic activity; you won't be able to feel that fun energy. You won't see their faces or notice any of their bodily reactions. You won't be able to shake their hand after a proper throttling at any game. You'll never impress someone enough for them to offer to buy your next game. Perhaps most importantly, you'll never be able to look the other player(s) in the eyes and tell them "Good game!"
---
3DS FC: 4253-3586-3727
#52UltraOshawottPosted 1/20/2013 11:22:22 PM
jedinat posted...
Arcade games suck.

Wreck-It Ralph hater.
---
Games on my Preorder List: N/A
#53FredSavage27Posted 1/21/2013 9:05:32 AM
ukokira1 posted...
It still has the sam elevels with 100 additional ones.

That's like saying that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a port of Mario Bros. The level is the same, but the game is completely different.
#54Genericgamer667Posted 1/21/2013 9:22:17 AM
I thought most arcades shifted to the tickets to win prizes method like Dave and Busters
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#55adampeltzPosted 1/21/2013 9:46:29 AM
Arcades were really cool back in the day for the reasons mentioned. Back when I was a 12 year old kid, I used to beat some of the older kids in the arcades, but the trash talking was more tasteful and respectful back then because of the fun atmosphere and face to face interaction. Strangers became friends as they chatted and waited patiently on lines for their turn to play. You were in public with other locals who enjoyed your hobby, and thus there was genuine etiquette.

Also, there were no online leaderboards, and people did not rage quit in the middle of the match. Everybody was paying for their turn turn to play, win or lose, and everyone played through until the end of the match without throwing a temper-tantrum.

Online gaming will never be as good.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#56ukokira1Posted 1/21/2013 10:26:57 AM
FredSavage27 posted...
ukokira1 posted...

That's like saying that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a port of Mario Bros. The level is the same, but the game is completely different.

Except for the fact the levels are not the same...
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#57FredSavage27Posted 1/21/2013 12:44:27 PM
ukokira1 posted...
FredSavage27 posted...
ukokira1 posted...

Except for the fact the levels are not the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLm-Vt7scNI

This is just as much of a Mario Bros. port as backflipping to the top of a few levels before moving on to the real game is a port of the arcade Donkey Kong.
#58super_cloutPosted 1/21/2013 5:01:59 PM
DDR and Pump it Up are some of the best arcade experiences ever, especially when two

people of equal skill played and sweat was flying every where, with crowds of people

gathered around looking in awe. ahh the good days.
#59Frozenx07(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 5:51:03 PM
LunarRoar posted...
MrFwibbles posted...
LunarRoar posted...
Mario Bros has never been ported

...What are you talking about? It's available for the NES, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, and Atari 8-bit.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said this. Learn how to quote.

Yeah, I was the one who said that Mario Bros has never been ported, not Lunar. I meant that the arcade version has never been ported. I think it's pretty obvious that's what I meant since it's the topic of this thread!

The original 1983 arcade version has never been ported. Again: I'm a purist.